Old 1st May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Apple Sells 275,000 Songs in First 18 Hours

Billboard: Apple Sells 275,000 Songs in First 18 Hours
Thu, 01 May 2003, 00:31
From the iPod dept.
Jason D. O'Grady

Brian Garrity of the Billboard Daily Bulletin (a daily two-page fax to the music industry) writes:

Apple's New iTunes Service Moving Quick Off The Mark

Observers are calling the launch of Apple Computer's digital music service the iTunes Music Store an overwhelming success. The service, which went live Monday, sold an estimated 275,000 tracks at 99 cents apiece in its first 18 hours, according to major-label sources. The feat is especially remarkable when considering that the offering is available only to the limited universe of users of Apple computers. The launch thereby sets the stage for a race between a host of media and technology companies to create and effectively promote similar services for the much bigger Microsoft-equipped PC market.

There is going to be a race to see who can get to the Windows market and start to replicate this," says the head of new media at one major label. "The question is [whether] someone else wants to put up the kind of money that Apple is to let people know they're there."

Apple says it plans to make iTunes compatible with the PC by the end of the year. Sources tell Bulletin that two major labels have already cut wholesale agreements with Apple for the Windows version of the service.
Old 1st May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
they kinda ****ed up by releasing this for MAC only before they had the windows version ready. of course companies like winamp and the like would have to get contracts with all the labels that Jobs has already done. maybe bill can steal this off jobs too and stick it into WMP before iTunes hits the PC land.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
What audio format?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
are they squeezed ****ty mp3Β΄s or reasonable 44.1/16 wave files?
Old 1st May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
aac 'best'
hardly distinguishable from 44.1k aiff
but the same size as it's 'best' setting mp3 counterpart
It's great!
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Is it 44.1khz, 16bit audio or no?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So MP3 is to take over from 16bit 44.1.

This is a ****ing disaster, no?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
So MP3 is to take over from 16bit 44.1.

This is a ****ing disaster, no?
yes

malice
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
get it right before you bitch guys.

Its not mp3! its AAC - which is part of the new mp4 specification - its a brand new compression scheme by Dolby.

True It is not uncompressed 16/44.1 - but you know what? I think 16/44.1 can sound pretty bad too. If you take a nice 24bit file and use that to do high rate AAC - it might even sound better than mp3. Plus - many older mp3 were enoded badly. The encoding coming from the itunes store its top notch. Stop using old data to make new judgements.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Compression sucks big fat elephants cocks and you know it.

That's it, i'm going back to vinyl.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
get it right before you bitch guys.

Its not mp3! its AAC - which is part of the new mp4 specification - its a brand new compression scheme by Dolby.

True It is not uncompressed 16/44.1 - but you know what? I think 16/44.1 can sound pretty bad too. If you take a nice 24bit file and use that to do high rate AAC - it might even sound better than mp3. Plus - many older mp3 were enoded badly. The encoding coming from the itunes store its top notch. Stop using old data to make new judgements.
Come on,

I'm perfectly aware that 16bit/44.1 is not fully satisfactory, but don't you think that this is going backward even more? Instead of setting a new standard of linear uncompressed format that would better suit todays technology, we open the door to something even more crapy.
I was disapointed by CD when it came, and now that I was hoping for DVD audio or DSD, as well as better consumer converters, I will mix on expensive gear to get the best sound I can have to be converted in compressed internet mp3, mp4 or whatever crap names you put on it.

Don't you realise that could mean that making quality sounding records obsolete as you would not tell the difference between a DAW mixdown crushed in a L2 from a nice neve mix into 6000$ compressor ...

itune being top notch, c'mon ...

I had that A&R prefering the mp3 version of a mix I've done better than the file I sent him at the post office 2 days later.
I had to struggle with him as he wanted to release the mp3 as is, I f***king couldn't believe it, the guy had no more ears than a snake...

Am I over reacting ?

I don't think so. I'm so fed up to explain to people in record companies that ask you if you work on Pro tools that there are other ways, better ways for one given project, but no, they are so confident in their miserable technical knowledge that I lost work wanting to go analog or radar or anything else instead of the hype that looks like the only medium they would be able to agnowledge for the moment.

So when those guys will decide that mp4 is as good as vinyl or linear hi def format, and that there is no way to release record outside internet downloading, we would have as only alternative to shutt the f**k up or sell the studio and quit this job ...

and I don't want that to happen

malice
Old 2nd May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
The model is changing and it's bigger than all of us.

Perhaps we will end up where people buy the compressed formats and then if they are a mega-fan of the band they go to the band site and pay a little extra for the full rate version, which lets face it, could be not only the aiff, but the surround mix, 24 bit 192k!! Which a mega fan wouldn't mind paying - AND - the quick fix of the mp3 got him into the band in the first place.....so, as a consumer you end up with MORE choice.

As downloading becomes a 'viable' money maker it will become COMPETITIVE. That will change everything.

As there is no 'super' format for getting this stuff around with any great speed, I think that this new era will 'eventually' become the way forward for technophile listening as we download bigger and bigger files at higher speeds which basically rule out any other means of distribution.

And also, lets not forget that this new way of downloading stuff is only viable now so many have faster connections, and the compression has always been a 'make do' for lack of bandwidth. Bandwidth is coming. Oh yes, slowly, but in 5 years we're all going to be zooming beyond anything we can imagine right now. I'm going to be able to download your 192k 64 bit mix in surround and hear it almost immediately.

The biggest problem with higher rate formats and recordings is DELIVERY.

In two years I think I may be downloading remastered versions of 44.1k 'remastered' tracks at higher bit rates than we're even used to ourselves. To the point where remastering some old stuff to and 'even' higher' bit rate becomes superfluous because NO ONE can tell the difference any more. There's only so much hearing you can do.

Hey, and wait for the compilation format to kick in big style. 'Click here to download 10 tracks by upcoming bands for budget price, with a discount on the album download should you like one of them'

Hey, and let's not forget, no one shut all the records shops this week. I really want a copy of Elton John copied down 86th generation onto a cassette, so I'm off to the beaches of Turkey to buy one off a local.

It's still sounds like Elton John.

Yes I'm optimistic.
Old 2nd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
for the record...

ACC was a joint development between Dolby, Fraunhofer, Sony, and AT&T...
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think this is a great thing! Since record sale is dropping way to much.
One can wonder what happens if Apple sells more music than the major record companies..... Will Apple start to sign artist directly and bypass the record companies?
Interesting.....
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree.........although the data-compression is a backward step quality-wise, if it saves the music industry in the long term I can live with it. If it also kills the major labels, I might even by a mac (as an ornament).
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This is in response/addendum to BevvyB:

The connections soon enough will be faster than what you have predicted. 64 bit, 192khz, real-time, with video of the studio that made it - easy.

Lucent technologies successfully tested a new fiber optic line over a year ago...

The speed?

3.2 TERRABYTES per second.

"A length of fiber long enough to circle the globe three times is produced every day, and if you extrapolate current trends to 2010, every one of the 6 billion people on earth will have a bandwidth capability equivalent to high-definition television," said Alistair Glass, director of photonics research and development at Lucent Technologies Bell Laboratories. Arriving at Bell Labs in 1967, Glass' career spans the development and implementation of fiber-optic communications systems.

So yes, we will be waving goodbye to compression for transfers, but this technology does not solve the problem of STORAGE. Is your harddrive 3.2 Terrabytes? Didn't think so. Alas, fiber optic storage "cubes" are coming about...and the proposed space available in these will be measured around "infinite" (as in too much damn space for you to count and/or fill).

Weee. Technology is fun.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
I think this is a great thing! Since record sale is dropping way to much.
One can wonder what happens if Apple sells more music than the major record companies..... Will Apple start to sign artist directly and bypass the record companies?
Interesting.....
What would be interesting, is selling records cheaper, nothing justify the present price of an average CD ...

When I say cheaper, I don't mean cutting artist share of course ...

If only we could be sure that online music would benefit the artist, I would sign for it, but I'm rather pessimistic ...

malice
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What would be interesting, is selling records cheaper, nothing justify the present price of an average CD ...
It is cheaper to buy full albums at the Apple site than at the record store.

Quote:
but don't you think that this is going backward even more? Instead of setting a new standard of linear uncompressed format that would better suit todays technology, we open the door to something even more crapy.
All I was saying is that AAC improves upon mp3. I personally support DVD-audio and SACD by buying them. But - I've yet to encounter a casual friend who buys either! My favorite local record store stocks neither!

I would support buying uncompressed files from Apple's site - and waiting for the download. BUT - I'm sure the major's forbid any uncompressed material being posted for download. That's not Apple's fault.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It is cheaper to buy full albums at the Apple site than at the record store.
ho I agree, it was just a side remark, nothing to do with the main issue ...

Quote:
All I was saying is that AAC improves upon mp3. I personally support DVD-audio and SACD by buying them. But - I've yet to encounter a casual friend who buys either! My favorite local record store stocks neither!
I'm glad that it is better than mp3, my only concern is the possibility of slowly abandoning better media over overhyped internet formats ...

Quote:
I would support buying uncompressed files from Apple's site - and waiting for the download. BUT - I'm sure the major's forbid any uncompressed material being posted for download. That's not Apple's fault.
you understand my beef is not with apple, but with record companies.
We are complaining about the music sales, the music business in general, then the music itself : how many times do we heard that music sucks nowdays compare to what took place in the 60' or 70'.
The cause of this mess is truly record companies taking bad decisions, being totally uncompetent, signing crap, when they are signing, relying on back catalogs, re-releasing compilation, trying to make "one off"s instead of working on an artist career, and above all, taking the power over music creation in the very place of artists.

the result of that is the constant drop in sales.
Now we hear rumours about apple buying universal from vivendi, taking part in the music industry although they don't know **** about it.
I don't see the interest of artists in these financial and technical issues.
I really don't buy that any of these news would unveil a tiny hope in artistic creativity, artists wellfare, and the quality of music in general.
I just see big companies being bought buy even bigger companies and slowly, but surely, the numbers of labels diminishing and multinational fusioning. I see music being less and less interesting and most of all, less and less free to go and reinvent itself.

So now the internet who was suposed to be an harbour of freedom and free exchange of ideas and art will be control buy those same companies.

What makes you thing they would do any better than they did those past two decades ?

malice
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Now we hear rumours about apple buying universal from vivendi, taking part in the music industry although they don't know **** about it.
Well - here is one case where it might just be a good idea to through the baby out with the bathwater.

I for one would rather sign a record deal with Apple than any of the current major labels. At least the top guys in Apple seem to listen to music and care about it. That can't be said about Seagream or some other recent owners of labels (although - I think the owners of Sony probably like music). Its a good time for a company who - as you imply - know little about the music industry - take over. Because all their corrupt ways must change. All Apple needs is deep pockets, lots of advertising, hip credentials, overall corporate and legal power, and an innate sense of style. Apple has all these and technical know how to boot. Furthermore, if alliances with independents go well - then perhaps Apple can become a conduit between small labels that do care about artists and the consumers who will pay for that.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Furthermore, if alliances with independents go well - then perhaps Apple can become a conduit between small labels that do care about artists and the consumers who will pay for that.
As you say : perhaps ...

Let's say I will try to share your optimism.
I don't want to sound like a drunk grounchy old fart more than I just did so far ...

When you are deceived for years and years, you just don't resolve yourself to make jumps of joy as soon as somethink new happens ...

But hey, wath do I know ?

thanx for sharing your views

malice
Old 3rd May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
hmmm, who is doing the deceiving
Old 3rd May 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Just a little reality check. There's one heckofa difference between selling singles from well established artists' back catalogs and selling brand new titles.
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that we have already lived through the bottom of the barrel for digital and things are on the upswing. The quality of converters across the board is improving (compare the new industry standard of Pro Tools HD to the Mix system with 888's).

Compressions schemes are improving in quality and at the same time internet hookup speeds are improving. The days of very low bit rate mp3's transmitted through dial up modems are numbered. Thank Goodness!

Don't get disenchanted that people are degrading your careful recordings with mp3. Production "texture" can still be heard and appreciated through bad compression schemes (even with mp3 one can tell a project done with tube gear to 2" vs something done direct to digital, and one can tell a good mix from a bad mix). Furthermore, in a few more years our music will be re-encoded with much better schemes. It's still worthwhile to do things at the highest level and the cosumers will eventually catch up.

Peace,

Zep
Old 3rd May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Exactly.
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Zep Dude

Don't get disenchanted that people are degrading your careful recordings with mp3. Production "texture" can still be heard and appreciated through bad compression schemes (even with mp3 one can tell a project done with tube gear to 2" vs something done direct to digital, and one can tell a good mix from a bad mix). Furthermore, in a few more years our music will be re-encoded with much better schemes. It's still worthwhile to do things at the highest level and the cosumers will eventually catch up.
Zep, I must say that after going to the Motu-Lucid test in that forum, wich consist in an mp3 compression of two converters, then encode in mp3, I was rather impress to hear big differences in textures.

SO may be I exagerated yesterday, maybe it was the Bordeaux ...
heh

Quote:
hmmm, who is doing the deceiving
What do you mean by that Bev ?

Quote:
Just a little reality check. There's one heckofa difference between selling singles from well established artists' back catalogs and selling brand new titles.
I do agree Bob, I would love you to extend on that ...
What I meant in a previous post is that record companies are so trying not to take any risks, that they tend to work on well established artists and their back catalogues, while making little try out of new artists without realy giving them times and help to work on their careers. You more than anyone in this board bob know that there where times when a record company was way more implicated in their artists carreer. They were looking for talents, and when they found them (and they were somehow good at it), they worked hard on them to give the maximum chances to make hits and above all, a name that would last.
Now, they are signing as much as they can, with ridiculous budgets, and wait until 5% of them makes it thru. Then they drop the loosers ...
Then the 5 % have more studio time to work on a second album, and if they sell more, they are good, otherwise, they hit the road ...

I don't know, may be the situation is worse in France, where I live, and I'm over reacting ...

again

malice
Old 3rd May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
" When you are deceived for years and years, you just don't resolve yourself to make jumps of joy as soon as somethink new happens ..." - malice

When people start talking like that about the biz ("i've been deceived") I hear warning bells and start seeing the dreaded (and much discussed) "Creatives vs. Industry" rant approaching.

Usually brought on by alcohol and a bad day.

I don't like that train of thought, and it's below you, don't do it !

I'm from the ' no one owes me a damn thing' school of thought. The only person I've ever deceived about this whole industry is myself. Infrequently.
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
" When you are deceived for years and years, you just don't resolve yourself to make jumps of joy as soon as somethink new happens ..." - malice

When people start talking like that about the biz ("i've been deceived") I hear warning bells and start seeing the dreaded (and much discussed) "Creatives vs. Industry" rant approaching.

Usually brought on by alcohol and a bad day.

I don't like that train of thought, and it's below you, don't do it !

I'm from the ' no one owes me a damn thing' school of thought. The only person I've ever deceived about this whole industry is myself. Infrequently.
Ok, I see your point.

But,

My rant is more general and in any case limited to my little "industry".
I've been very lucky to make the record I wanted, and live from my productions so far. I've also been fed by those majors that every year allows me to bring enough money in the house to make possible some project that i wouldn't have started otherwise.
Nevertheless, I really think they have ****ed up a system that brought major artists back in the days, and that somehow are less and less common in the present time.
Do I suffer from that : not really. In fact, I'm bitter when I hear the radio, not while I'm working. I still make the music I like, I might wish to sell more of it, but hey, so far I'm doing pretty good.
I'm more concerned with the younger generation, fed with "american idol" and all those giant broadcast karaoke stuff that is nothing more than easy money to the majors and creativity vacuum. I don't know how old you are, but it is a fact that I cross more and more unqualified mooks among those big record company staff. Some girl at BMG who was actualy signing artist told me once she didn't knew ****t about music, and I have tons of storys alike: read Mixerman diary, it pretty much set up the picture, even if it is a compilation of the worse experience he had, it is most enlightning.
So when I see less and less of those companies because of fusions, when I see people making computers that will head entertainment business, when I see more and more labels bankrupt because they couldn't match with international giants, I feel I have the right to be pessimistic, drunk or not, I feel right to ask you where the hell do you see how those same guys who ****ed up this business the last twenty years will, by the magic of a new downloadable format, bring back a new perspective that will save the music industry ?

As for staying in the boat, well :

I will, as long as I could make more money doing so than doing nothing, but I'm not slave to this job, and I won't, for supreme artistic reasons starve and crave to give Major labels big bosses or Mr Steve Jobs himself a better life than they allready have.

I'm not bitter Bev, but I don't swallow everything I'm fed with without giving it a big thought ...

Call me stupid ...

Regards

malice
Old 3rd May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
No worries malice, it's just the 'bitter jaded' conversation is below all of us gearslutz.

IMHO the 'music business' is based on exactly the same founding principals as when it started. Talent, money, greed, corruption (in reverse order)

It was built like any business, to make money. We're the guys in the lab coats at ICI. We are a tiny fraction on the company, and totally at odds with how much development budget we're gonna get each year. Sometimes we have a breakthough. Great things are continuously made though, but some don't get to market.

'Normal' people (ie Not gearslutz) change jobs when they don't like it. But when you love something you got to take the sacrifice with the pleasure. I can't do anything else, but the world shouldn't have to bend to that. I am voluntarily crippling myself so I can't expect a handout.

Hey, and like you say, you get by and it makes you happy. Cool. Me too.

But if the guys running the 'biz' knew what we knew and loved, there'd be no one running the biz to moan about, and therefore, no biz. And funnily enough, some of the most juxtaposed people from us (ie Tone deaf and complete a-holes) are some of the most succesful in their field 'cos they have what it takes (ie Tone deaf and complete a-holes) to get things happening, and, strangely enough, make more money for us.

The music biz is based on capitalism. 'Music' isn't. Selling music is. Selling anything which is a creative endevour is. But what's really wierd about all this is the crossover - the fact that music has now become an industry has changed the way people approach, write and listen to music. So now were locked in some strange relationship.

40 years ago none of us would have been able to give up our day job.

I'm not arguing, I just find the whole thing fascinating. And as time rolls on, the more intriguing it gets.

Quick, let's go to the pub, I like this version of the conversation. (yeah yeah 'cos it's mine, but hey, I like arguing too )
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
IMHO the 'music business' is based on exactly the same founding principals as when it started. Talent, money, greed, corruption (in reverse order)
Word,

Now I totally follow ya,

LMFBO heh

malice
πŸ“ Reply