Quantcast
Motu 192-Lucid test. You decide - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 192-Lucid test. You decide
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Motu 192-Lucid test. You decide

I recorded a Motif loop into my ISA-110, into the Lucid 9624 @ 48K, than the HD192 also @ 48. I A/Bed at every bar. Take a listen and post your opinion. It's an mp3 file. By far a reasonable format, but hey...

http://homepage.mac.com/soundtest/

Imagine
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Imagine, for me to tell which converter sounds better I would have to listen to the loop play back directly off the Motif through my monitors then play back each recording of the separate converters, so I could see which converter sounds most like the original sound. I think that the 2 converters sound like they are eq'ed differently, but I can't say which is more accurate. I personally don't want the converters to change the sound much. If I tune a snare to sound big and fat, I don't want the converter to make it less fat. If the Lucid sounds more like the source than I would not like the HD192 because it would make the snare sound thinner. OTOH, if the HD192 sounds more like the original, I would not like the Lucid because said snare sound would be too fat/muddy.

Which converter did you think was more accurate?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cat,

I found the 192 to be more accurate to the original source. The Lucid as a comparison, sounded thin. After doing several tests, I found the 192 to be warmer in the lower register, and softer in the top end.

I'll have a little more time tomorrow to do other tests. Maybe I'll post those up as well.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
With one of the converters the high end sounds clearer, yet the snare dosn't sound as loud nor does the snare ring seem as loud. Is that the 192?
Old 1st May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
my guess from the two previous posts... and not listening, that the lucid is "clearer" in the top end because he said the 192 is smoother on the top end and the lucid sounds thinner. the more top emphasis, the less full its going to sound. i always hear fullness from bottom emphasis. of course they have to maintain the bottom end nicely or its just muddy.

dont ya just love adjectives?
Old 1st May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
one sounds louder than the other... the first one.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The kick is whuddier on the 192. What's accurate? I dunno! I like the whuddittity but that probably would fugger up some tracksz.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cat,

I A/Bed in measure's of 4. I started with the Lucid. IMO, the Lucid sounds thinner, and is not representing the source (motif).

I'll be trying a few other tests today, and I'll try to post them up.

alpha,

You mentioned the first one sounds louder. Don't you think the second measure sounds louder?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the second one better- it is just a bigger sound to my ears.
Old 2nd May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
the second four. the bottom goes lower. its weird listening to them ABing like this... it almost makes it groove switching between the two like that.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm amaze there is such an audible difference thru mp3 and in my labtop headphones !

The Motu just kill the Lucid IMO ...

more detailed, deeper bass, sweet top end.
I hear a drum kit in the motu, just a thin loop in the Lucid ...

I'm that close to order the Motu ...

more test please

malice
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The thing that surprises me the most is the latency fix. Usually, I'd have to go through the console to have a latency free situation. Now I can connect directly into the 192. Obviously the new DSP chip on the 424 is responsible.

PCI-324, I have one message for you!fuuck
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Imagine, hi;

Got a question for you. In light of the low latency that you are experiencing with your HD192. I'm thinking of selling my mixer, and using the money to pick up a 2408 mk3, a HD192, a Hear technologies Talk Back box, and some high end mic pre-amps. Based on your experience with the HD192, if you were in the above mentioned situation would you miss your mixer?

Thanks for your time!

M-O-M.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
M-O-M,

Well, for starters, I'm a hands on kind of operator. I don't mind mousing it, but that would drive me nuts over time. It all depends, if you don't think you'll need/miss the console, get rid of it, unless you prefer hands on.

What kind of mixer are you currently using? I own a d8b, and really couldn't live without it, unless it was replaced by a better console.

I've been a Motu user from the beginning of time. I know a lot of people like Protools, and their hardware, that's ok, but with the new DSP chip on the Motu card, it amazes me that there's no latency. It hasn't been confirmed, but I understand Apple will be releasing a Dual 1.6, Dual 1.8, and Dual 2.0. It'll certainly give Digi a run for their money, but for the Motu users, it'll be a blessing...

All this to say, if you won't miss it, you won't need it.

Imagine
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, some background. I used to work full time at a major studio in Chicago, then I got out of the business (jingle burnout). Years went by, I got a Roland vs-2480, a Mac, and started recording people for fun(cuz I just can't stay away from what I love!). I started getting more clients. Then I lost my job at United Airlines. Suddenly I'm back recording full time (when I can get the work!). It's time for a more professional rack, the 2480 is going to go, I pretty much just use it for monitoring anyway. I can't afford to buy both ProTools, and high end outboard gear so, I'd rather skip protools, and spend the money on outboard gear and cool mics. I too like the hands on approach (though I've become more accustomed to mousing than I'd care to admit!) I use Logic, so eventually I'll pick up a Logic Control. With the "freeze function" in Logic, Powerful CPU's, and now ultra low latency interfaces for native systems, I'm thinking now might be the time to chuck the mixer.

M-O-M.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I say chuck the mixer if you don't need it, and buy something you do. A BMG artist and I worked on his latest CD. All of it was recorded to DP, and the files were shipped to Celine Dion's studio back east for mixing on Protools. Point is, converting files between one system and another is relatively easy, and DP is less expensive than PT. You could spend your money on other things...

Imagine
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the advice! Now if you could find the time to post some more listening examples................

M-O-M.
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Wow, I am surprised at how many are using Motu Hardware. Do you guys use DP or what do you use? Slipperman?
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It wasn't always like this. Eversince Motu created the PCI424, it took their hardward up a notch. Latency was always a problem. Even though you had the option of adjusting buffers, etc..., you were always giving up one thing for another. Now, it's plug and play. No latency.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

So is it like this:
4 bars - lucid 4 bars motu, so on... ?
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes that's right.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

now, that is a "kick" on Lucid's butt... well... like someone posted before... we need to hear how the motif sounded... but I'm almost sure the HD sounded more like thereal thing than the Lucid...
Man... I wish I could get rid of using PT...
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
jeronimo,

Why can't you get rid of PT? I'm really not trying to start WW3, but with Motu's PCI-424 card, latency is none. With Apple releasing new Macs in a couple of months, it'll be a real breeze. I have a dual gig, and I can use the HD192 without any problems whatsoever.

Imagine
Old 17th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
we need to hear how the motif sounded...
i dont give a **** how it sounded for real... i can say i would rather have the fatter sound in the end from the HD than the Lucid's.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

I can't get rid of PT *yet* beacuse it's is so damn fast to edit and mix.... and I'm still learning DP 3...
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When you say no latency with the 424, I assume you mean no latency when using Cuemix. Am I correct? My guess is that you still have buffer latency when using the ASIO drivers.
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Imagine,
thanks for the sound clip. The difference is huge, which surprises me considering this is mp3 format. The MOTU seems louder, but even when I turn up my monitors a bit when the Lucid plays, the MOTU still sounds fatter and larger.

After hearing this, I checked out the MOTU web site. It states that the core system HD192 is $1895 list, and that the expansion I/O is $1595. So what precisly is included in the core system? And what precisely does the expansion give me?

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

When you pay for the HD 192 it comes with the 424 PCI board, a audiowire cable, manuals and a copy of AudioDesk (the crippled version of Digital Performer)
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Faeflora,

The way Motu explained it to me was, you don't have to use Cue Mix when using DP. The feature is built in. CueMix is for ASIO based programs...

Henrik,

The core system includes the HD192 and card. The expansion is the HD192 unit only. You can connect 4 HD192 per core card.

You can get the core system at :Rainbow Guitars in AZ for $1589.

Hope this helps.
Imagine
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

How many of you guys do a lot of editing and use DP 3/4 as your main software?
πŸ“ Reply