Quantcast
Motu 192-Lucid test. You decide - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 192-Lucid test. You decide
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been a DP user from day one, but I've tried PT, Nuendo, and they're both great programs, but I'm familiar with DP. I like their layout, and going the full PT route, means spending another $25,000.

I'm a writer/producer, so 95% of my work is mixed by engineers using PT. They've never complained about DPs sound quality. It's right up there with PT, and I'm not referring to the 888, but the 192s.

Imagine
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jeronimo and Imagine,

you

have

GOT to be kidding!

$1600 for 12 channels I/O including the card? And it slaps the $700 for-two-channels-in-only Lucid silly?

No extras? Meaning - granted I have a computer, say a Mac with Logic, I plunk down $1600 and start recording 12 channels of that sound? No catch? Sure?

Sold. You got me. Here's my VISA. Keep the change.

Oh, but I understand the Lucid DA is still pretty sharp. Ever compared that to the MOTU?

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
How many of you guys do a lot of editing and use DP 3/4 as your main software?
editing/mastering/composing/sound design...all in dp3( won't switch to dp4 until everyone is osX compliant). i'm trained on PT and sometimes i'll use it if i have to( i.e. someone else's studio)...but otherwise its dp3 all the way.

with a QS dual 1 ghz and internal barracuda drives i can run massive tracks and plugs. all of my noisy 10k cheetahs are sitting unused in a corner...

and when apple ships the 970 chip...watchout!!!

sounds like a 192 is in my future also.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Henrik,

Keep in mind, I bought the Lucid 9624 before the HD192 was selling. It served me well for a couple of years. The HD192 is a real good deal. If you want a great 2 channel DA converter, go for the DAC1 from Benchmark. It's a wonderful unit. I use it to monitor with...

Imagine
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
THanks for the tip.

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 24th June 2003
JKL
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Question:

In light of the new macs (G5's), and the Apple/Logic thing, would an hd192 work just as well with Logic as opposed to DP? My brain's churnin here...

I'm using a 001 with a lucid 8824 right now. If I'm going to learn a new program, I think I might be better off learning Logic because of the obvious advantage of the Apple tie. It's been suggested to me that I should upgrade my current converters. If the motu is actually this great, it seems like a no-brainer. But, do I give up the great latency specs by not using DP? Also, will I run into a bunch of other conflicts by using something other than Motu software? I've been trying to find recommendations for hardware interfaces to use w/Logic, seems everyone is saying RME. It would be a far less pain in the ass, I would think, if I could just pick up the Motu 192 and card and feel safe there would be no problems using them with Logic.

Anyone shed some light?

Jon
Old 24th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey Jon,

I don't know specifics about compatibility with Logic but I do know that MOTU tries to make sure their hardware is compatible with most DAWs out there. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. Their ASIO drivers are pretty solid and I'm pretty sure there is or soon will be a Core Audio driver for the PCI 424 card.
You won't lose the latency specs using Logic. CueMix is run on a DSP on the card itself. You handle all the low latency monitoring and routing from there.
Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Jon,

I also use a 001 w/ an external converter and I´m also thinking about switching apps... maybe DP 4, maybe Nuendo... I don´t know... what I do know is that PT is a nice, trouble free, simple yet powerful application... and I´m finding very hard to let it go...
Old 24th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
If it ain't broke.....

I'd wait for the G5/ OSX/ Audio Unit/ Core Audio dust to settle before deciding on anything. Everything is way too new for me to switch/upgrade just yet. No telling when Digidesign will officially support the G5's.
I'm limping along with my G3/450 OS 9.2 and DP 2.72 quite happily. No surprises.
Old 24th June 2003
JKL
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well, the problem is indeed multifaceted. Besides being a gear slut, I'm also afflictied with computer geekiosis. I guess really my DP 450 G4 is doing fine, but I think this is the longest I've stayed on the same puter. I'm still running OS9, but am starting to feel a bit dated. I'm going to have to make the jump to OSX eventually, and what with the hubbub of the new G5's megapower, I think staying in a host-based DAW is looking just fine. Even if I keep this computer for awhile, I'd at least be able to use both processors if I switch to OSX.

Upgrading my plugins is quite a consideration. The stock digi plugs are below adequate, and because the other apps (logic, DP) seem to come with a pretty descent supply of plugins, I'd probably be good to go out of the box. Not to mention the fact that Digi has a definate conflict of interest with the LE PT. They are not going to give us too many bells and whistles as long as they're pushing their overpriced hardware. I'd love a HD TDM rig, but who the hell wants to spend all that cash on hardware if it's bound to be obsolete within a few years. I'd rather get good outboard goodies and stick with a host based rig.

If I stich with PT, I'll have to spend 3K to get better converters than what I have. Unless someone can recommend something that I'm not aware of. Also, staying with PTLE, and using even the greatest converters, I'll always be stuck at 8/10 good input channels for tracking, which can suck at times. With a different platform, one is able to expand his/her options, which I find very appealing.

It's probably a moot point at the time though, because all of my money seems to be going into outboard stuff right now. I guess I can afford to wait a bit longer before any major changes, but I do know that the time is coming when I'll have to decide. Might as well start fleshing out the possiblities now...

Life/decisions certainly would be simpler if I had a buttload of available cash...

Jon
Old 24th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by JKL
Besides being a gear slut, I'm also afflictied with computer geekiosis.
I hear ya. Part of me squeeled like a little girl when I saw the specs on the G5.

Quote:
Upgrading my plugins is quite a consideration. The stock digi plugs are below adequate, and because the other apps (logic, DP) seem to come with a pretty descent supply of plugins, I'd probably be good to go out of the box.
Have you heard the plugins included with DP? Best get MAS versions of your favorites. Take a listen to e-verb. You'll hear what I mean.

Quote:
Life/decisions certainly would be simpler if I had a buttload of available cash...
I couldn't agree more. I'm actually considering selling my house and moving to Maine to build up a recording rig. Unfotunately there won't be anyone there to record. Maybe I should just sell my son...
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[email protected] this site. I've been thinking about a convertor upgrade (I was thinking Lucid 9624) and also thinking about upgrading my MOTU 2408mkii soundcard as well...and now it sounds like there may be a way to do it all at once. Bwuhahahaha. My inner gearslut rejoices.

My only reservation is with motu in general. I've not been thrilled with how they "phase out" products. It's kind of brutal and they just stop doing anything with them once they release a new line of items to replace the old. I understand this to a point, but they've done some draconian stuff in the past with a midipatchbay of mine (win2000, what's win2000? you need drivers? why?).

Maybe they've turned a new leaf. Maybe.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
Be careful when using busses. Check all your outputs before printing a mix for bizarre routing fiascos. ie. A bass guitar on track 11 is coming out of an efx buss output it is NOT assigned to when certain native Logic plugs(New ones) are in use on that buss. Nutty. Thought I was losing my mind a coupla times.

SM.
This happens on to me as well with Nuendo on a P4.... I have the 2408Mk3 plus the 24I/O and its a royal pain in the ass sometimes! Other times it restores the buss assignments just as you left them.....strange.
Old 25th June 2003
JKL
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Slipperman,

That's the kind of "not quite seemless" thing I was worried about as far as mixing emagic and motu stuff. Apparently it's not so bad that you don't want to use it, no? Or do you think it's just bugs in logic? And... are you experiencing the wonderful non-latency thing that Imagine eludes to?

Imagine! I've wanted to ask you some questions about "Ordinary Girl"(I know, it was quite awhile ago, and sorry for the detour off topic) I'm really impressed with not only the sound (open sound, balance, seperation, stereo field,LOUD,etc.), but the arrangement and musical aspects as well. Did you pen that tune? I like it. Of all the tunes I've downloaded off these forums ("listen to my tunes" type stuff), yours is the only one still on my hd. In fact, I use it at times for a/b ing some of my mixes.

What pre's, compressors, and converters were used on that track? I'm more than curious.

Jon
📝 Reply