Hi output bass - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hi output bass
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hi output bass

I was working with a band this weekend and the bass player brought in this bass.. First off, I have to say that this is probibly the nicest bass guitar I have had the pleasure of picking up and playing. It had bartolini active pickups in it -- but the thing had so much gain...

The only problem I had was with the e string.. it was distorting heavily in my headphones and thru my monitors. I was nowhere near clipping on my meters. I tried everything( checked the action of the bass, lowered the pickup near the e- string. tried turning down the bass volume pot(which made the bass sound like garbage.)

I tried 3 dirrent pre's (using them for direct in as well as going thru a mic)- the api 3124 with pad engaged.. it was still too much gain..
Great river - too much gain as well

I finally had to settle on using a UA 2-610 with the gain setting on the pre at minus 5...

So, it looks like I will need some type of attenuator if I run into this problem again
correct?

I know Shure makes one .. Anyone use it...??

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi output bass-4string_550.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Oh yeah, this guy is out of PA , I believe.. Steven Sukop Bass guitars..
Old 23rd August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
May I suggest something?
You can check if there is a gain control trim pot located at the Bartolini preamp circuit inside the bass electronics. You can then turn the preamp's volume down/up from there with a screwdriver (turns clockwise and counter clockwise, sorry but I can't remember which is "volume up" and which is "vlume down").
Just be careful, the trim pot is small and fragile.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yea, I was thinking of taking the cover off the back and messing around with it, but the bass was on loan to the band who was recording and I didnt want to muck with it..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any one?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This happened to me once wit an active bass ...I have two direct boxes by Radial. I first used the JV48, wich is active, and though it has a pad that can handle it...I prefered to go with the JDI wich is a passive box with Jennsen transformer...the bass sounded awsome and my levels a pleasure to work

http://radialeng.com/dis.htm
Gear Guru
I always run active basses through the line input of my console. It has a +20 db trim and about +15 to +17 db usually does it. A direct out then feeds the limiter and then to the HDR. If the onboard preamp is distorting, you will need to fix that as any post treatment is useless. I avoid active DI boxes with basses as they all suck out the bottom end. AC powered units like Avalon and Millenia are an exception as they don't run on 4 ma at 48 volts like DI's powered from phantom voltage. They could be considered line amps. Avoid running basses through mic pre's.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 25th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the easy and best answer is a bass AMP.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
"I tried 3 dirrent pre's (using them for direct in as well as going thru a mic"

I miced up a hartke Bass amp and got the same results(Used a Senn 421 and a Akg d112).. Also, trying to run direct out of the bass head offered less than stellar results..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Try to run the bass line in or use a DI like the Radial JDV MK3. It can handle the level and should do the trick. If you are using a DI without lots of headroom that can cause the distortion.thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for your input...

Jim
Old 26th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it distorts the amp?

why not just turn the amp down?
I suppose I don't get why it CAN'T geta clean sound... doesn't really sound a like a preamp problem.

I have a VERY loud, very active 18v Status that distorts many DI boxes but I can certainly make it clean through an amp.

and you say it's ONLY the E string?

are you certain it's not a buzz on that string that when amplified SEEMS like a distortion?
or something LIKE that? (a problem with the string)

something sounds WRONG - rather than it just being "too hot".
at least without being there and hearing it, that's my feeling.
πŸ“ Reply