The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anti SM57
Old 9th July 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
No but I've hated drummers in the first place
I hate drummers attitudes
I don't know why they act the way they do. (maybe from always being in the back)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-the-sax ➡️
i like ALL mics. and all mics love me.

bitches love me cause they know that i can rock

THROUGHOUT THE PROJECTS!
'

🎧 10 years
I think the first time I heard a 57 on snare, in person, because obviously we've heard the stories of a great record and the engineer saying 'oh, it's just a 57', only to try it ourselves and be like 'ok, can't be the same mic'. I even took pictures during setups that sounded good to mimic the mic placement and technique. To this day, I still don't use just a 57. I also tape a 451 to it for top and I use an sm7b on the bottom. This way, if the recording vibe ends up being something different in my head, I can mute a mic, adjust balance between the 3 mics....you just have more options. I'd rather have 3 signals with the ability to mute than to be fighting just the 57 with Eq to make it work. For guitars the same. I always put it up right along with my sm7b, i5, AEA R92, Heil Pr30. It's been a while since I've kept it's capture in the mix to be honest. However, sometimes even just a little of it in there gives me that extra 'thing' I wanted to hear in the performance. There's no one special mic for any situation IMO, some mics tend to work better for certain situations more reliably and the 57 is right there in the heap of useable mics on just about anything, but there's a reason why the term 'mic locker' exists.
RTR

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by threshhold ➡️
any engineer worth his/her salt can take a 57 and grab sweet sounds. especially in the snare / guitar dpt. Perhaps you PREFER a diff mic for a certain application at times however If you HATE it then you got bigger problems down the line ie. crappy source / terrible mic placement / following it with below par gear / shot ears.

godspeed.
yeS..AND any engineer worth his/her salt can take ANY OTHER MIC AND DO IT ALSO!!!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Jerkwad ➡️
i like it.... but i like sahiaman's little blondie mic for guitar and snare better....

little blondie paired with a nice ribbon on some guitar = pure amazing

I was going to say the same thing! Plus I noticed it takes eq really well.
Old 9th July 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze engineer ➡️
Does anyone hate the SM57s on snares and distorted guitars as much as I do?
If you're not into the '57 for those apps you've got nothing to loss by modifying it yourself. This is not the transformer mod, but a hack to remove the resonator disc in front of the diaphragm. The pics show the operation being conducted on an SM58 copy, but the idea is applicable to the SM57.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➡️
If you're not into the '57 for those apps you've got nothing to loss by modifying it yourself. This is not the transformer mod, but a hack to remove the resonator disc in front of the diaphragm. The pics show the operation being conducted on an SM58 copy, but the idea is applicable to the SM57.
I attempted that. The one thing I found out by doing it, is that my eye sight sucks now!

I'm sure one of the younger fellas here can do it easier. Would love to hear what it does though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➡️
yeS..AND any engineer worth his/her salt can take ANY OTHER MIC AND DO IT ALSO!!!

though the 57 does it for not a lot of money.
yeah you can use an E22s on a snare, a R121 on a cab etc.. and it is all necessary sometimes but most of the time you need that 57 edge to add to the mix.
I reckon it would be odd to have a mic locker without 57, for the outlay VS what it can do...

Oli
tekis
No, I hate idiots(trolls) like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Do you hate idiots who don't know how to get a sound with decent gear as much as I do?
I mean 1700+ post since you've been here? Do you actually do any recording? How could you have any time for it? You're always "trolling" around here!

🎧 15 years
Quote:

bitches love me cause they know that i can rock

THROUGHOUT THE PROJECTS!
'

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqnoixStudios ➡️
I was going to say the same thing! Plus I noticed it takes eq really well.
that it does... that man makes one hell of a mic....
Old 10th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
If not more.

I know that 57s are used on a lot of my record collection. I know that a number of great engineers and producers use one for a lot of different sources. I know that Shure has sold elventy billion of them. But I don't give a flying ****. I don't like e' and I don't use 'em!

🎧 15 years
First:

Quote:
Then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Do you hate idiots who don't know how to get a sound with decent gear as much as I do?
And in response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis ➡️
I mean 1700+ post since you've been here? Do you actually do any recording? !
wow. I don't usually comment on this sort of thing but that really is an impressive post count. I hadn't noticed until Tekis pointed it out. And to think all of these posts since May 2009. How is it possible to make 23 posts / day? That's almost one per hour sustained for 2 1/2 months, right?

But really, the SM57 is just one of those peices of gear that everybody should own several of - stock and modified in at least one or two ways.

🎧 15 years
Quote:

we all live together in a house made out of microphones and candy.
Plus Mutha-Flippin One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis ➡️
I mean 1700+ post since you've been here? Do you actually do any recording? How could you have any time for it? You're always "trolling" around here!
Plus Mutha-Flippin One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus ➡️
I'd take a roomful of 57/58s over a similar pile of ****** condensers any day of the week.
Plus Mutha-Flippin One.

-----------------------------------
Don't Like 57's? get real, you still have to be able to use them correctly. I love dynamic mics, and the 57 is queen or princess of all of them. whatever.
anyway, I sugest who doesnt like the mic to use the mic until you DO like it, seriously. sorta.

what if a player told you you couldnt use a certain kind of mic
vise-versa?

🎧 10 years
If microphones were food, the SM57 would be a hamburger. Given the choice, perhaps you'd prefer a nice Filet Mignon with bernaise? Why certainly. But don't be surprised if you find yourself craving a plain old burger one of these days.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i guess i hate it as much as you do. on pretty much any source i tried it on...with any imaginable preamp. but i never tried it on heavy distorted guitars - hate those as well :-)

🎧 15 years
speaking of doing nothing

Quote:
speaking of having nothing to do, I know this is false, sory jolly, i love you but have to show you...

this is an sm57 capsule body.
Attached Thumbnails
Anti SM57-57-capsule-front.jpg  
Old 10th July 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The "ice-pick" mic?

Compared to smooth-sounding mics with flat frequency response, I hate 57's. But if the 57 is only used on one or two instruments, it's more likely to work in a mix than those poor suckers that try to use a 57 on every drum and every instrument.

I've been to a lot of live shows where every instrument on stage was miked with a 57 -- and that annoying grit and annoying upper mid boost really adds up over multiple tracks/channels -- until my ears hurt like somebody is sticking an ice-pick in my eardrum.

Thank God for ribbon mics.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ive never had the chance to record electric guitar sounding as good as with ribbon mic.I try it on every session to be fair.Yes , Shure is cutting through the mix but has really ugly , unnatural sound.It should be a little bit smoother like older Unidyne .That`s all.Maybe Michael Jolly knows some secrets how to improve this mic.
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No bad feelings for the 57. But then again there's the Beyerdynamic M201, okay? As long as the source sounds fine I don't have any problems.

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
SM57 is great, but its made for analog tape, as all old great gear is.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon ➡️
Mix with another mic and it sounds killer as long as you get the phase right.
yea, I usually pair mine up with a Beyer M260 for my go-to distorted guitar tones. I have an older Unidyne III 57 that I prefer to the newer 57's ... the ribbon right at center cone and I sweep the 57 between mid and outer cone until I get a good balance

for a single mic setup I still take the Unidyne 57 over the 421 & SM7 ... placement is the key

🎧 15 years
i never really liked 57s on guiatr amps; at least on those that i owned / or recorded. it wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular, at least within my abilities. i always had much, much better luck with sennheisers - 421 and 609

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower ➡️
speaking of having nothing to do, I know this is false, sory jolly, i love you but have to show you...this is an sm57 capsule body.

Your picture shows a Shure R57 cartridge removed from the mic housing. It is shown without the resonator plate. The Shure Bros. patent for the SM57 states "Ahead of the diaphragm...there is provided a protective, perforated resonator plate". It is possible to remove or alter this plate and affect the response of the SM57.
Old 11th July 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
k.

Ok, so forward of the diaphram.. this thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Anti SM57-57-cap.jpg  

🎧 15 years
I like the Shure SM57. I am not anti-SM57.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure that every record that you love and that sound great use at least one sm-57 and that it sound great for what it have to do...

🎧 10 years
depends

depends,

sometimes not my choice, depends on the music and the drummer,

i actually really like it on my voice along with my neve

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower ➡️
Ok, so forward of the diaphram.. this thing?
Yes, the perforated resonator plate can be seen in that pic. I've got an SM57 with the headbasket / resonator removed and a large wire mesh headbasket from a ribbon mic attached to the body to protect the diaphragm. Very smooth sound, much less 7kHz peaking and sibilance is reduced.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess the secret is out! heh Great mod. Discovered it by accident several years back and all my 57s have been headless ever since.
📝 Reply