Quantcast
How much for a wurlitzer electric piano? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much for a wurlitzer electric piano?
Old 30th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
How much for a wurlitzer electric piano?

A friend of mine is thinking of selling me his. We have no idea how much it's worth.

One of the keys doesn't sound. Apart from that it's in quite good condition.

How much should I offer him?
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Maybe this will help

http://www.prepal.com/data/Wurlitzer.htm
Old 30th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
here it is
Attached Images
How much for a wurlitzer electric piano?-wurly.jpg 
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My bass player recently bought one from a second hand store, no legs, great condition, $50 american....so who knows?
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
wurly wurly wurly

The picture looks pretty good. FYI I have a model 200 something that I bought in Winnipeg Canada that is in drop dead perfect condition. It cost $800USD. Perfectly tuned, mint action with no wear! That should mark the high end of what a great wurly is worth.

For an easy sale maybe your friend will sell at $300-400USD equivalent. Everybody wins. If you want to cherry it out it will probably cost several hundred more USD.

Emulations suck. Big time.

Good luck.

wurly
Old 30th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
To tell the truth, this wurly is at my house on continuous loan and I'm thinking I should make an offer which isn't to embarassing.

One the metal key tines is missing and to be honest the whole thing is a bit out of tune.

I know that the only way to tune these things is by dropping molten metal on the tines. Scary. I think one for a pro.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
To tell the truth, this wurly is at my house on continuous loan and I'm thinking I should make an offer which isn't to embarassing.

One the metal key tines is missing and to be honest the whole thing is a bit out of tune.

I know that the only way to tune these things is by dropping molten metal on the tines. Scary. I think one for a pro.
Β£50-100??
(or buy him a bevvie, Bev!)
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You bunch of cheapskates.
Wurlitzers are not cheap!
The UK prices are Β£600 to Β£800, depending on condition.
I saw one recently for Β£1,200.
I'd offer Β£600 if you want to be nice, Β£450 - 500 if he's a true friend.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yikes! Those prices are pretty high, glad I live on this side of the pond. Wurlies in decent shape regularly go for $100 - $200 around here.

Scott
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've seen several for around $200-300...
Slightly off topic
my bass player has a older Wurly...it's more of a console type than the picture above bigger/heavier...it has a crappy speaker in the console...anyways some of the keys stick and it needs a good overhaul/tuning...
What's a reasonable price for this?
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Prices are much higher in Europe. Often Β£ for $, in other words if something is $400 in Nrth America it's often Β£400 in the UK.
On the Wurly front, I suspect these instruments are harder to find and more sought after in the UK. Music influenced by the club scene (from Groove Armada to Radiohead) has heavily featured instruments such as the Rhodes and EP200.
Bevvy if you want to check prices for yourself, have a look through the classifieds at:
www.sospubs.co.uk
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hoho and if you think they're expensive in Blighty, i wouldn't like to think what one would go for here in Holland.......i reckon $1800 at least!
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Prices are much higher in Europe. Often Β£ for $, in other words if something is $400 in Nrth America it's often Β£400 in the UK.
On the Wurly front, I suspect these instruments are harder to find and more sought after in the UK. Music influenced by the club scene (from Groove Armada to Radiohead) has heavily featured instruments such as the Rhodes and EP200.
Bevvy if you want to check prices for yourself, have a look through the classifieds at:
www.sospubs.co.uk
If you have the time or inclination to get outside of London prices become a lot more friendly.
Also, if you shop for a Wurli in the likes of Sound on Sound classifieds or music shops, etc.. then you're dealing with sellers who will want top price, plus you're paying for the convenience of not having to get off your ass and find one yourself, that's what the dealer did. All pretty obvious stuff so far...

By getting away from the capital and searching a bit more you can pick up instruments for reasonable prices. I have bought various instruments from social clubs, schools, community centres, etc.. none of it was ever advertised (until AFTER I'd bought it at least!). I've gotten Hammonds, Leslies, drum kits, microphones, piano's, Wurli's, Rhodes', a Vox Continental, acoustic guitars, etc..

There's a store in Leeds, UK, called Music Ground who are just about the best source of vintage guitars in the country, but you pay for it!! I've had a few things off them in the past as I simply couldn't get things anywhere else.
I was working in Copenhagen just before Xmas last year and I had a couple of opportunities to check out back-back streets for bargains. In the 2nd shop I got to I found the guy who owns Music Ground more or less buying the shop out of it's stock. So, I know what he paid for things there and I saw what he charged for them in his store....
If there's a want.....
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I bought Rhodes Mark I (my avatar ;-) for $850 here at Prague. The Wurli is around the same price. It is a lot money, but if it has no substitute?
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I paid Β£600 for an average condition Rhodes Stage 73.
Old 1st May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Before the local Mars Superstore closed down, there was a Model 200 Whirly with a price tag of $1800. But one of the local keyboard dealer/cartage company/rental house/repair shops is trying to start renting B3's and electric pianos to studios, and they were the folks who put that Whirly into Mars.

I paid $450 each last month for a Rhodes and a Whirly.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I paid $160 for my Rhodes Mark I Stage 73, average condition.

Retolexed it in orange tolex, very nice

All I've done to it is put in a new set of keybed felts(cheap) and the tolex (not so cheap, but not too bad). BTW the action on mine was vastly improved by brushing teflon powder on the felts, very nice now.

Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
piggy

I 'm a lucky, little pig by the looks of things.
I was given a Rhodes, an old tube Wurly and a Clavinet. Then I found another mint condition Wurly (the tube version like Ray Charles) for $250.

I like 'em all

chap
πŸ“ Reply