Quantcast
B&K mics.....Anyone have experience with 'em? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
B&K mics.....Anyone have experience with 'em?
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
B&K mics.....Anyone have experience with 'em?

I worked with a fine FOH guy years ago who raved about B&K mics....I don't remember the model numbers, but the were used on snare drum and I believe in overhead micing (pop tour).....I've seen them mentioned here and there and would love to get some insight.....I've never seen or heard one in person.

We own a Millenia hv3 8 ch pre and in my research to find out what the heck the 130v switch was (gimme a break I'm new to this) I was led to the B& K site....
While I'm on the subject, could someone expand my knowledge on the 130v uses....what other mics this would be useful for?
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Along with Schoeps, B&K were definitely the class of the clean small diaphragm universe, and were the standard in recording classical music. But they are available now as DPA rather than B&K, although i don't know the story behind the change... Maybe someone could regale us with that tale...?
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I might be not very "politicaly engineering correct", but I always found them rather boring ...

malice
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I used a rental one for some vocals. It was absolutely crystal clear, but much more susceptible to 'wind' noise than some of the large diaphragm condensors we had there. If you have a really good singer, they can sing in such a way that this is not a problem. In the end we didnt use it for the main bulk, but it certainly sounded excellent.

J
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Sly
If you have a really good singer, they can sing in such a way that this is not a problem.
Well, when you have a good singer, nothing is realy a problem ...

Quote:
In the end we didnt use it for the main bulk, but it certainly sounded excellent.
That is exactly my point ...

malice
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice
I might be not very "politicaly engineering correct", but I always found them rather boring ...

malice
That's fine... What was your context. Schoeps can be "boring" too... They are not as fast (transient) sounding as a Schoeps because the diaphragms are thicker. Pull the grill off a 4006 some time... The diaphragm is pretty amazing, actually.

In the classical world, B&K (now DPA) mics are a standard... I have 4- 48v. omnis (the 4006). I tend to like the silver grills, but the black grill can provide a better diffuse field sound. I don't like the bullets, though...

--Ben
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Benjamin,

I am looking at a pr. of mini DPA 4060's for field/ambient/studio recording: any experience with these units? I have heard the 4011/4006 before, and am very impressed with their "accurate" sound, but can't afford the pricetag...
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry.. No experience with B&Ks other than the studio standards...

--Ben
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
All the DPA's are very consistently quite and very clean. What you put in front of them is what you get out, and they are pretty much the standard issue for classical recording, and many types of ensemble recording. Even the little lavs are quite mind blowing, dead quite and they are the size of half a fingernail. If you want something with the same purpose, but more euphonic, go for a Brauner.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a DPA 4041T ... and it's certainly not boring. It pretty much destroyed my world when I first heard it and I still smile every time I use it. The 4041T is their foray into a tubeland. There is a miniture tube inside thatt pencil type body that sports a 1" diaphram, although you wouldn't believe it when you're looking at it. That mini "military spec" tube gives a wonderful warmth to the crysteline quality that B&K's (now DPA) have become known for.

You can use it on anything with superb results, prefferably whatever you would like to highlight ... but I wouldn't use it on everything in a track since you'll have a heck of a time mixing it ...

But by all means .. try one on for size if you get the chance. Can't imagine a frown
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
neumann killers

I have a matched pair of the new 4015s (wide cardiod) that sound fantastic. It's kinda put my 184s in retirement for now. Amazing on acoustic instruments and amazing as drum overheads.
Great imaging and depth of field.
cheers,
chap
πŸ“ Reply