The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album
Old 27th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The Michael Jackson Remix Suite!

I was just checking stuff out on iTunes, and there's a remix suite in four parts, remixed by people like Stargate, Salaam Remi, Polow, there's some real gems on it..... I get the feeling Bruce might be involved in this because there's also some solo stuff as well as the Jackson 5 material. The "ABC" remix is my personal recommendation check out the link here.Michael Jackson Remix Suite on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Rob - does this "Starlight" Acetate LP look authentic to you?

Michael Jackson RARE 12" Acetate STARLIGHT/BILLIE JEAN - eBay (item 150367213337 end time Aug-27-09 06:54:42 PDT)

..... ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP777 ➑️
I have no idea, before my time.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admbmb ➑️

(1) I've seen some footage of Michael on youtube where an Akai MPC can be seen in the background. Do any of you know if he ever did any sequencing or was skilled with using an MPC?

MJ had very little technical knowledge, at least that he would demonstrate. He knew that up was louder, and could communicate his wishes very well. If we loaded sounds into the MPC he would bang out rhythms, but he didn't really operate any gear.
Old 28th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That clip of MJ beat-boxing "Tabloid Junkie" is absolutely ridiculous.
YouTube - Michael Jackson - Human Beat Box

Did you Rob, get to see MJ do this sort of stuff? His mouth is going at a million miles an hour, lol!
Old 29th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix ➑️
That would be a great question for Eddie Delena as he recorded those vocals. For what it's worth, the studio was usually kept so dark when MJ was around you could barely see anything, especially him in the booth.
It's so sad that MJ was so self-conscious of his looks that he wanted to be in the dark. Poor trouble soul.

BTW, if any of you interested there's a Birthday Candle Lighting on the 29th at 10:30 pm
For info watch this video. Thanks.

YouTube - Michael's Birthday Candle Lighting 09
Old 29th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riviera1992 ➑️
It's so sad that MJ was so self-conscious of his looks that he wanted to be in the dark. Poor trouble soul.
I've found that most singers want to sing this way. Singing is an emotional experience, and you don't want people judging or god forbid laughing at you when you're trying to bare your soul.
Old 30th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
He would have been 51 today. Two moths passed, but it still hurts. Such a gift to this world.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've found that most singers want to sing this way. Singing is an emotional experience, and you don't want people judging or god forbid laughing at you when you're trying to bare your soul.
+1

Absolutely yes.

Singing is dramatically different from playing an instrument.

It's only you, your state of mind, lyrics and the AD converter.

Darkness is a great friend then, helps to focus and calm down.

Guitar player can chew gum, smoke cigarette or think about his hamster's thighs, but vocalist must focus on the story he's about to tell and be absolutely conscious of importance of this very moment.

If a guitar will play false, who cares, it's funny, but when vocalist sings goofy shit - who's gonna buy the record?

If youre a vocalist and don't sound right or aren't conscious of what you want to sing about - just go home.

Or should I say - Just Beat It
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Actually - darkness is a great friend of vocalists, because it turns off a sense of seeing.

What an AWESOME help and relief it is.

Ever tried MIXING with your LCD monitor turned off? Only you, faders and speakers?

That's one of the main reasons why back in the good ol' days those records sounded like they did - because people were tweaking parameters not through eyes but through ears.

Mixing with eyes glued to the monitor is like making love with a furry glove on your magic stick.

Oomph.

You only SEE that you're making something louder and you believe it.

Yes, you can master tweaking by eyes, but mixing and tweaking by ears will always sound and feel more natural.

That's how God designed us heh
Old 31st August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Does anyone know why this verse from Smooth Criminal was cut out of the album/single versions but remains for the short film?:
Quote:
So they came into the outway
It was Sunday
What a black day
Every time I tried to find him
He's leaving no clues
Left behind him
And he had no way of knowing
Of the suspect
Or what to expect

Mouth to mouth resuscitation
Sounding heartbeats
Intimidations

Also here is a pic of MJ, BS & QJ:
Old 5th September 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you sooo much robmix and Resonater, and everybody else who shared your memories of Michael Jackson with us!! I must confess I know little about music, but I love a lot of his songs. It's great to learn from music professionals how amazing he actually is, because like what someone commented somewhere, even Michael Jackson's fans don't understand his huge talent.

By the way, I have a question to ask about 'This Time Around'. When he sings this part 'He really thought he really Had a hold on me', the part 'Had a hold on me' uses, I believe, what's called a 'radio mix'? Is this the first time it's been used? I've never heard this kind of sound before 'This Time Around'. Sorry, I know next to nothing about music . I guess anybody can answer this...

Also, for all people who believe in truth and justice, please join this Yahoo Group aimed at vindicating Michael Jackson in mainstream media. Here's the intro:

We call for complete vindication of Michael Jackson by mainstream media.
Michael Jackson was exonerated by a jury of his peers in 2005. Not good enough for his fans. For his children's sake, mainstream media must become more responsible. We discuss how truth can compel mainstream media to publicly admit it wrongly accused Michael Jackson of despicable crimes. Many people still believe Michael Jackson was guilty of these crimes. People were influenced to believe the allegations were true by a biased mainstream media.

This group is NOT about vilifying the boys who falsely accused Michael of these crimes. They were kids who were easily manipulated by their parents. Our desire is that these boy accusers (now young men) will summon the strength to come forward and vindicate Michael. This group is about supporting these two young men, so they can do this. Please join us.
Vindication_Better_Than_Tributes : Vindication Better Than Tributes
Old 7th September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Resonater,

You mentioned earlier that you were in the studio when Biggie recorded the rap for This Time Around.
Do you remember if it was Michael who wrote that rap or if it was Biggie?
I would love to know, because I watched an interview with Michael and he said:
"I've written songs with rap verses in them for very famous rappers"
Old 7th September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
For all the hardworking engineers, here's something to make you smile:

Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo's Tribute to Michael Jackson

Even parrots appreciate your songs!!
Old 10th September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This may be of interest to the technical gearslutz on here - a thorough list of the specific keyboards used to create many of Michael Jackson's hits over the years, including the processes involved to obtain certain sounds: Michael Jackson: Keyboard Sounds of His Signature Songs, Then and Now,

Jme // Jamie Martin Automotive & Concept Design - Portfolio
Old 16th September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Come Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtimixeur ➑️
Do you have any idea why this intro was taken off afterwards ?

Rob : I've been wondering for years why Come Together was on HIStory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this song had already been released in 1992 on the Remember The Time CD single, and as many other fans, I've always felt it didn't fit with the rest of the songs of HIStory. As a result, it feels like the album is cut in 2 distinct parts : the first 7 seven songs, then Come Together, and the last 7 songs. Any thoughts about this song ?
I'm probably going to be the only person to complain that some of his work with Michael was released, but, oh well...
I did a lot of work as a hired engineer that I never would touch after taking on the responsibility of "producer".
In Michael's case, "Come Together" would fall in that category. I was officially just an engineer, but I played and produced the whole track, (in very crude midi fashion) and never thought it was release material. But Michael supported and motivated me, and changed my life. . . and put it out.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1984 ➑️
Bill, thank you so much for taking the time to post on here. Us fans greatly appreciate it. Just a few questions regarding your answers:

1.) When you worked on the Victory album, did Michael ever have you work on a track called "Buffalo Bill"? Or was it just the Freddie Mercury stuff?

2.) You mentioned that you worked on "Streetwalker" during the Bad Tour. Was the song originally created for the Bad album? I've listened to an interview before where it was stated that the final track on Bad was between Streetwalker and "Another Part of Me" and the latter obviously made the cut.

3.) Did Michael ever intend on working on an album with just Beatles songs?

4.) I've read that Bad was thought about being 2 albums but Qunicy Jones shot down the idea. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks again Bill

1. We did mess around with "Buffalo Bill". It was a heavy John Barnes influence, and the cool chorus:
Who shot Buffalo Bill?
They said he shot alot did he ever get killed?

2. "Streetwalker" was recorded after Bad was released. I don't understand the story told about it and "Another Part of Me" it's impossible.

3. If he ever thought about an entire Beatles cover album, he never mentioned it to me.

4. I wasn't in the brain trust on "Bad"
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Encino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mederick ➑️
You're the best guys! Tell Bruce we can't wait for his book to be released as well.

I was also thinking, since a lot of people here come up with surprising questions, maybe it could be the begining of a new book written by sound engineers who worked with Michael, answering questions by fans. Or maybe Bruce's next book, inviting other people to tell their stories about the recording of Michael's albums.

OK, Russ, Bill, Rob or Resonater: If you worked in the Encino studio on demos, how was it to work there? Was Michael working differently? Was the family involved sometimes?
Same for Neverland Ranch Studios.

Thanks a lot.
I recall the monitors were terrible. I kept trying to install something I could listen to, but the room was very small, and it wasn't to be. Maybe that's where I learned to Never Listen to Speakers.
It was wonderful working there. We watched from the sidelines as all the family life happened, Janet in the hot tub with Rene, Mom, Dad, brothers coming and going, entertainments like Elizabeth visiting and Michael wanted twinkle lights in the trees like they had at Tavern on the Green.. some character coming out with a tractor/crane to put them up, and tearing up the grass, then another character coming out to quickly replace the grass with sod, just in time for the party..ha..Which went without a hitch.. Michael would have kids over, and the best part.. if you went from the control room through the synclav room and went through a door, you found yourself in the candy store! Laser Tag, Pinnochio costumes, watching "To Kill a Mockingbird" with Michael on a rainy winter day. (This wasn't trivial, it required calling his professional projectionist and sitting in his custom theatre eating popcorn)
The other movie Michael insisted I see in his theatre...."This is Elvis" Now I insist everybody go see that movie. You'll learn about M.J.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWho ➑️
Many thanks for taking the time to discuss things here Bill.

Come Together was used in the moonwalker film and first came out as the b side of Remember the time, the credits were (for both) as follows:

Produced by MJ, Co-produced, recording engineer, and guitar and drums performed by Bill Bottrell.

The credits of the edited version released on History are not available - as there are no per song credits, but rather musician credits are bundled up for the whole second disc. You are mentioned in there a whole bunch. The production credit reads "MJ and Bill Bottrell"

s.
Hey, thanks, man
it's all a bit overwhelming and hard to remember. He legally didn't have to credit me, but he did!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousInc ➑️
There were online stories that you (Bill) started producing Come Together without MJs permission but once he heard what you had done, he was cool with it. I take it this is not true.

Was there ever plans to do a Beatles cover album before Bad as some reports claim as well?

Thank you kindly.
No, I remember it as I said upthread. His idea.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
No way....

Quote:
[B]
Lastly, for Bill or Bruce:

5. Can you please describe the very early versions recorded of "Black or White"? i.e. is it true there was a heavy metal guitars section where Bill's rap eventually ended up?

Please refer to the acetate picture below; it shows a MEGA RARE Promo [Flight Only] acetate (only 10 produced?) that were given to Sony Execs on their way to Neverland, from London, back in 1991. It was meant as a teaser for what was to come on Dangerous, and contained an EARLY DEMO of "Black or White", "Men In Black" and an early version [supposedly] of "Monkey Business". Any comments?

Bill... could this extreme rarity possibly contain one of the early versions of "Black or White" with no rap but instead a Heavy Metal guitar section? Any ideas? Maybe "Men In Black" could be explained too..

To Bruce and Bill, I thankyou greatly for your time in reading my questions. If you are able to answer any of them, I will be gobb-smacked!

Your work is amazing
There was nothing on that tape but an early version of Black or White.. probably with an early drum machine click (a Linn drum) and big holes in the middle where EVENTUALLY we added Tim Pierce on heavy metal guitar.
If there was some Sony/Epic nerd listening, and he/she called my rhythm guitar "heavy metal" well.. that's just foolish.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovido ➑️
A question to Mr. Bottrell:

Do you know why Michael chose the 9th of Beethoven for the intro of Will You Be There?
Soul, man, just soul.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Not a chance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtimixeur ➑️
* Finally, I have a question I'm not extremely proud of, but I have to ask it.
After MJ's passing, Gotham Chopra claimed he helped Jackson write lyrics and Michael paid him a few thousands each time. Here are his exact words :
"Eventually, Michael and I would get down to work. He was working on a new album and asked me to help him write lyrics for songs. It was an informal relationship - I'd wander downtown with a backpack full of dictionaries, and thesauri, and rhyming books. Michael would hum songs and talk about what he wanted to say with the song and we'd try and marry our skillsets and come up with something. We came up with great stuff. Michael swore me to secrecy those days. I happily complied. After we were done with those sessions - they'd usually go until about 2 AM or so - Michael would wander into the bathroom and come out with a sack he'd pulled out from under the toilet. In it, he kept several thousands of dollars. He'd ask me how much I wanted. I just sort of shrugged and he'd hand me a couple of thousand dollars."

Since Gotham Chopra met Michael around 1988 and went on tour with him in 1992, I guess this was happening in the Dangerous days, but I can't be absolutely sure. This brings me to the album BAD. On this record, Michael is said to have written 9 of the 11 songs. Here is my question : did he use ghost writers ?

the Chopra thing doesn't sound right. Michael properly saw himself as a great writer after "Billie Jean" and had no need to seek songs or writers. He was fastidious about any outsiders and the possibility of getting sued. i once watched him spy an unknown cassette on the console on which was written the name of a (famous) writer and the name of a song. He eyed it like a spooked horse, stepped aside, and walked to the other side of the console without coming within 5 feet of the alien tape.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Simply..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousInc ➑️
Just wondering if anyone knows why Michaels vocals at the begining of 'Streetwalker' are so distant. Its like he was singing in another room? 'Streetwalker' was released very raw.
Simply so the downbeat of the song would be surprisingly huge.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bill: You're the man. Just made my day.

So, if I get it right, in Encino no family members were involved in the creation (helping, playing instrument, singing etc.) of a song from Michael's Bad or Dangerous... right?

In Neverland, was Michael's recording studio not that good? Could he actually use everything he had in there or always need a technician?

Did he ever come up with a demo that was something else than singing and beatboxing? Like a simple melody on a keyboard or easy beats on a drum machine? Anything like that?

It looks like you've never heard Men In Black. I'm also curious to know more about this song but, at the same time, Loren's tracks are not among my favorites. I'd definitely like to know more about Buffalo Bill.

THANKS for your time and honesty Mr Bottrell.

PS: I can't believe you didn't know you were also credited as producer in HIStory!!!??? Just moneywise, there's a difference! You really didn't wonder where some royalties were coming from at that time? Eh eh.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, Ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefmartin ➑️
Thanks Rob and Dave. That would certainly explain the differences, but none the less, the demo is a great standalone track. I'd love to know some details about the song and it's evolution, the thinking behind it, etc.

For those that aren't aware of it, here's the original demo of Dangerous:

And here's the final album version:

And just for the hell of it, here's the alternative (live) version (FFWD to 6.00min in):

Jme Jamie Martin Automotive & Concept Design - Portfolio
I wrote the music to "Dangerous" while fiddling around with "Streetwalker". MJ was on tour for Bad, I was working alone at Smoketree. I did much fooling around with midi sounds and samples. It was probably 1988. What was the little E-mu box? I cut lots of versions including one nobody's ever heard, consisting of samples of me playing brushes on a galvanized trash can, in place of all the drums and perc.
I quite liked them all, but "Igno-Dangerous" was my favourite.
I never felt competition with Teddy, and when MJ suggestied Teddy do a version, I had no problem.. Hey, it's all about the writing.
Teddy's version rocks and sounds like the 90's, where mine was stuck in the 80's.
Everything was in devine order.
When prince Abdulla of Bahrain played me my old epic demo, I about fell over. I hadn't heard it in 17 years!
Did they credit me?
Now I wanna go find the trash can version.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Blood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywonder ➑️
Great info! I've been looking for info on certain recording dates for a book but haven't found much. I always thought Blood on The Dancefloor was originally from the Dangerous sessions
Blood on the Dancefloor was a song I wrote for MJ during the sessions when Dangerous was written, sometime in 1988. I thought I'd be a clever salesman and I teased Michael about this great song I had called Blood on the Dancefloor. He was out of town and I was trying to tweak the song and this went on for weeks. He was really intrigued, so much so that before he ever heard what I did, he wrote his OWN Blood on the Dancefloor. He asked me if he could use my title and I of course, said "sure".
Next thing I knew I was at Record Plant in 1996 and I heard his "new" version. Very cool.

Last edited by Bill Bottrell; 16th September 2009 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Twin Peaks?

[QUOTE=chtimixeur;4461184]* My first question is about the Dangerous demo.
YouTube - Michael Jackson - Dangerous Demo (Rare)
If you listen to it at 5:48, you can hear the Laura Palmer theme from Twin Peaks :
http://www.samples.fr/blog/wp-conten.../twinpeaks.mp3

It can’t be a coincidence. Bill, do you have any idea why Michael used this theme in the demo ? Whose idea was it ?

I remember I was a fan of Twin Peaks, maybe I sneaked it in there? Is it blatant? I hope not. see my post on Dangerous demo upthread.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Filming in session..

Quote:
^ Wow, I didn't even think to ask this here, although I had always wanted to know if the Dangerous Recording Sessions were filmed by Michael's crew.

Robmix:

I am dying to know, were any of the HIStory recording sessions filmed at all? .....
There was often a hand-held video camera shot by a trusted employee, like Brad. Occasionally, a full film crew would come in, as in the Andre Crouch choir session for "Earth Song"
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Nor me...

Quote:
I'm not working on anything related to Michael, and I have not heard of anyone I know working on it. . . . .
Nor me.
πŸ“ Reply