Quantcast
API, Focusrite or Neve - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API, Focusrite or Neve
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
API, Focusrite or Neve

Now I know many will go straight for Neve, but in your honest opinion if you needed channels to cope with x-y acoustics, drum room mics and stereoing of a cab at different axis.##

What out of experience (namley 428 is very new) would you pick??
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Are those the only options, why those three in particular? And which "Neve" are you referring to...so many interpretations, and originals in various working conditions. Which API also?
Old 29th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Do a BIG search though these forums, it's been a hot topic many times before!
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Your right there are a whole host of lovely's out there. I'm looking for a set of eight.

The focusrite ISA's have got me a bit, I'm still unsure of performance agianst the RED's, the meters on the ISA's are crazy. You have to boost to get a signal and then wham they're peaking. Nice sound, though.

So really the question should be what pre's do you think are cool that don't require cover (in the form of Limiting)?
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
YMMV, but Focusrite's last ten years or so have been way less then stunning sonically.. There are some cool boxes out there, I like the looks of AIT 8 channel for instance, and 8 channels of API never hurt anyone.. 4 pairs of soild pres of varing color is also a great way to go depening on application.. hows that for vague?
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you're recording rock, and you're putting together basics, it's hard to go too wrong with API.

The 3124 (4 channel) is reasonably priced, and for a little more, you can get the 3124m+, which includes a basic 4x2 mixer. I've had one for a while, and it's proven to be quite useful.

I agree with SS that the recent Focusrite stuff is nothing special.

Original preamp (not 1272's) Neve modules have become crazy expensive, but if you're open to copies, there are a million options. I have a Great River MP2NV, and I like it a lot.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
API 3124 of any flavour is one of th ebest investments a studio can make. **** hot Mic pre's with gain and headroom for days that sound Fantastic and superb DI's... The go to for drums in my world... along with Neve's of course and this includes Neve flavours as well.

Do ya self a favour and order one today! (no im not sponsored by API.. but u just cant ket good **** slide when there is so much puss out there!)

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For the rock stuff I work on, my pre's of choice are any Neve 10XX module, API 312/512 and a Telefunken V76.

The 1073 is very colored and excellent on drums, electric guitars and most vocals. The bottom end is huge and the tops are smooth. A big thick mid range too. If I only had one mic pre, this would be the one. Although the EQ is not surgical, it is exactly what I need most of the time. Absolutely brilliant choice. The problem with the Neve is you can never have enough of them. Brent Averill makes an excellent reproduction and I hear the Great River NV is very good too.

The API is a great all-rounder. Not as colored as the Neve but has some balls about it too. It works great on almost anything and for what doesn't work on the Neve, the API is usually excellent for. It sounds faster and brighter than the Neve providing a very forward sound. I find it very versatile and is excellent value. Great guys at API.

The V76 does the tube thing well. I'm not overly fond of valve mic pre's on drums and electric guitars as it has a tendancy to round off the sound, softening and taking off some edge but sometimes that is just what you need. The V76 is fantastic on vocals, especially female. The VIPRE is also excellent and has a similar flavour to it and should be considered.

No doubt there are other choices but that is where I like to start. YMMV.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't argue with any of the above, but often it is useful to have a really fast clean preamp or two as well as the highly coloured ones. I love my API 3124 (and yes, the DI's are fantastic) but I don't know that I'd want to have ONLY that flavor...
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting..

Although I like them, I find fewer uses for the newer API pres when recording to digital; they can be a little too forward in the upper mids and can get a little "hard" sounding on some sources.. Neves (to overgeneralize) tend to be a little more gentle in this range and surrealistically huge in the bottom -- I love my Averill 1272s and miss my Averill 2074 combo units (note to self: never sell your gear)... and to further prove how mileage varies, I actually like the Focusrite Red 1 preamps on a variety of sources and use them pretty often.

-dave
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto the opinion on the API 3124. A good Fender Jazz bass ran through an API channel sounds phenomenal.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Arrr shucks, now I really don'y know what to do.

The reason I was looking in API's direction was to handle drums, and acoustic, classical guitar and amps. However this transient stuff worries me abit as I'm going straight to a 192.

When searching past post's they come across as not to coloured and had a bit of grit, what the doctor ordered!!.

I'll probably go for them this time.

I could handle having a test run with the Focusrite Red 1 and the API , but time is short and I'm new to the dealer, so I doubt they'd hand one over for couple of days.

Thanks for everyones input, you've really got me confused now....
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quit ****ing around and be a true gearslut........
and do what I did...
get 2 channels of API and 2 channels of GR NV2.heh
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Interesting..

Although I like them, I find fewer uses for the newer API pres when recording to digital; they can be a little too forward in the upper mids and can get a little "hard" sounding on some sources.. Neves (to overgeneralize) tend to be a little more gentle in this range and surrealistically huge in the bottom -- I love my Averill 1272s and miss my Averill 2074 combo units (note to self: never sell your gear)... and to further prove how mileage varies, I actually like the Focusrite Red 1 preamps on a variety of sources and use them pretty often.

-dave
OK, so watch me change my mind 3 times in the same thread...

I was recording drums last night (into PT) and I knew, knew I wanted the API on snare, but it just wasn't happening. Kind of like you described, it just sounded kind of hard and stiff without any tape to "sink" into. I switched the MP2NV and it sounded so much better... go figure.

Oh well, it'll switch around tomorrow again anyway.
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
OK, so watch me change my mind 3 times in the same thread...
Just so you're not the only one flippin'

Although I like the Red 1, I wouldn't necessarily buy another Focusrite product. Unless something's changed drastically (recently), the fact that Digidesign is the US distributor is IMO, an albatross to the support of the product. For example, if you have a bad phantom switch, you'll have to wait in the lengthy queue for ProTools tech support, explain to them that you have a bad phantom switch on channel 2 (for example) and then hear them tell you you can send it to their tech for a flat-rate repair (regardless of the simplicity or complexity of the problem) for $300. I don't know if other manufacturers do the same thing or not, but I don't like that, and it's especially frustrating when coupled with the experience of their overburdened software tech support area.

-dave (with still-broken Red1 phantom switch)
Old 5th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Picked up the API the other day, yumyum, I'm already dreaming of a rack of em, but that might be over kill in that area, but another four would be handy.
Just whats needed for drums.

I'm especially drawn to the kinda neon power button.
Old 5th May 2003
Founder

Blue lights sound best!

Jules
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Blue lights sound best!
That's why it's hard to take Distressors out of NUKE-mode

-dave
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
That's why it's hard to take Distressors out of NUKE-mode

-dave
i have one client who was amused that i called the blue light on an avalon 747 an "evil" detector. it only goes blue when it detects evil in the music.

he didn't believe me, but it's now my stock answer.

answer also works on distressors.
Old 6th May 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I could imagine working without Neve or Focusrite, but not API. We've got a 3124 and a set of 4 528 pres w/ 550A EQ's. I regularly swap out the opamps in the 3124. We'll either run the stock opamps from '99, or vintage 2520 from Huntington, NY and Melville, NY. Also the Millennia MM-99 and an opamp made by Avedis at Brent Averill. I'm working on building a bigger collection of opamps, because it really is like getting a whole new pre for around $75.
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great river MP2-NV...sweet and fat and you can kick it in the ass and it loves it...tons of headroom ..but wait there's more......lets keep bugging Dan for the EQ he is working on.....should be sweet....

peace john
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok... as my name suggests i love my Neve...

But i got my Phoenix last week and im sold..

Awesome sound, flexibility and price... im a beleiver give me the phoenix bible and testify to the DRS series!

Cant wait for any other tasty treats that they have in the works.

PEACE
Wiggy

heh heh
Old 7th May 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
I have 2 teleFunken V72s that seem to have enough headroom for kikandsnare, but don't cut it elsewhere on the kit. good for vocals too. millenia makes an 8 channel high speed jobbie for less than 4K before any mods. It's funny no one has mentioned mics. or where they should be placed and for what type of music. is it only me or...?
πŸ“ Reply