Quantcast
Anyone have/used new AKG 451b's? Bad move? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone have/used new AKG 451b's? Bad move?
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone have/used new AKG 451b's? Bad move?

I know these are touted as being bright mics, but I am finding that for the music I do mostly ( pop rock, lots of metal) that I need something to cut through with some attitude. I have a pair on the way to check out, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with these for overheads and anything else. I scored a pair of new ones for $500, so the deal was pretty decent.
I just scored another pretty bright mic, too, the Soundelux U195. I like it so far, only time will tell, but it is pretty damn bright.
Any remarks on either mic would be appreciated.
thanks!
Paul
Old 28th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Have you tried the Rode NT5 set? Do they suck?
Old 28th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
To me, 500 bucks for a pair of useable mics is a good deal. The new 451's are not great (of course, neither were the originals), but they'll work well in a variety of situations - overheads, acoustic guitars, and possibly (depending on the sound you want) on a snare.

When I compared the new ones to the originals, I found them to be remarkably similar in sound; others disagree vehemently. But I should also add that two of the original 451's I used for comparison were used as models for the new version.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you think they are better than the MXL 603's I gave up for the AKG's?
Old 28th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by tubedude
Do you think they are better than the MXL 603's I gave up for the AKG's?
Dunno - I've never played with the MXL's.
Old 28th April 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Tube, you may also want to try one of your 451's on any
soprano voices you're recording. Judy Collins has used them (old model).

Chris
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A few months ago someone was flooding the mags with ads for a new line of pro quality small diaphragm condensers. Now I can't even remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was either Shure or Sony. I never actually saw one anywhere, though. So i'm just wondering if anyone else has tried them. I think they were in the same price range as the new 451's.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Rode NT5 is no bad ;-) as I can say, we tried it side by side with 84 and 184 neumanns and it was not dissapointing at all. As you'd expect 84 was fattest, 184 was in the middle and NT5 was the brightest. Not ****ty bright however. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it while you pay 1/2 of the neumann's price for 2 Rode NT5. If you are on budget, you can't go wrong... having money it is different story... ;-)
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 451's into LA2A's work nicely for me. I don't even compress with them most of the time, I just pass signal through it to darken the sound and balence it out a little. It worked really good on a Martin ac. a few months ago.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just used some of the new 451b's for stereo room mics through a Manley 40db dual mono preamp. It came out wonderful.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by oortnyc
Have you tried the Rode NT5 set? Do they suck?
I have a borrowed set on NT5s at the studio right now. They sound pretty nice on acoustic guitar and overheads. I haven't used them anywhere else yet. I also haven’t mixed the things I tracked with them yet. That will be the true test. To see how they sit in the track(s).
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MMazurek
I just used some of the new 451b's for stereo room mics through a Manley 40db dual mono preamp. It came out wonderful.

Cool.
Still waiting on the mics, got the payment out a little slow.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used the AKG C 451 B. I A/B'ed them with a bunch of small condensers as well. I'm not a fan.

I've liked the Shure KSM141 small condensers a lot lately.

Steve, Mojo Pie
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
drumsound,

so what was/is NT5 in the mix? Works?
πŸ“ Reply