Quantcast
Seeking Recommendation for Studio Monitors in $400-$900/pair price range. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Seeking Recommendation for Studio Monitors in $400-$900/pair price range.
Old 27th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Seeking Recommendation for Studio Monitors in $400-$900/pair price range.

Hello,

I am a total amateur seeking some advice on studio monitors for a digital audio workstation. I am interested in the $400-$900 price range. Here are some of the products I am looking at:

Behringer B2031 Truth Monitors
Event Electronics 20/20bas Monitors
Event Electronics PS8 Powered Monitor
Tannoy Reveal Active Studio Monitors
Mackie HR624 Active Studio Monitor

Could anyone be so kind as to give me some advice about, or tell me some of their history with, the monitors listed above? Or, could anyone give me some of the general principles about buying DAW monitors?

One final question: How important is the lowest frequency output that a studio monitor can give? I notice that some of these monitors do vary from around 35-70 Hertz.

Thanks for any help,
Jk
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i've said it before and i'll say it again... The Paradigm Studio series in my opinion is of a much higher quality then what you can get in the same price range of the "studio monitors."

The studio refrence 40's you should beable to pick up for aorund 800, the 20's should be around 600, but the bottom end isn't as extended (1 6.5 woofer instead of 2 in the 40's)

I've used them to track alot of different genre's of music and they always translate well.

Marshall Simmons
Old 27th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Just FYI:

My "main" genre is most definitely electronic. Reason/Cubase/etc. Not really many "live" sounds.

That said, I don't want to limit myself in future horizon broadenings either.
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ones you should check out is the PMC 2TB's. Good all round speaker at a sensible price and has good components. These should be on your audition list IMHO much better than the Mackies and alike.

Regards

Roland
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by TekMonki
Just FYI:

My "main" genre is most definitely electronic. Reason/Cubase/etc. Not really many "live" sounds.
...in that case, get yourself a pair of headphones. It rude to disturb people who are trying to work ya'know!!

If you're a self confessed amateur (nothing wrong with that) you'd probably get on well with the Behringer Truths. They're loud, have low end, pretty inexpensive and suitable for your style of music.
I don't think you'd appreciate the PMC's, personally, for what you're doing. They're just not geared/voiced that way....I think ditto the Reveals and I've never heard the Event's. I'd save your money with the Mackies, get the Truth's and something nice with the change. Headphones??heh
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just a quick follow on...

Roland, I agree with you on your general evaluation of the PMC's and I am a fan of the TB2 and the AB2, but I wouldn't pick them first for Electro.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the smaller M-Audio monitors are really nice. The $300 ones. I've used them to record on location and when i blew a woofer on another set of small monitors i had and they really seem to translate well and have a lot of bass for something so small. You just have to really work to find the sweet spot and you'll love them. For the record i have the older models that they cleared out...the one they are selling now is different.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I prefer the JBL lsr 25p's. The 624's sounded a little honky to me. The Event's would be my second choice. And you should definately have a sub, even if it's a cheap one.
πŸ“ Reply