Quantcast
not new, but impressed me.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
not new, but impressed me....
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not new, but impressed me....

Anybody else heard the Davisound pre's? I just had a 4 channel, no frills model (phantom and phase only) at the studio tonight, and I have to say in the 2 runs through it (voice and acoustic gtr.) it sounds killer! Really big and thick:I could see this as a "go to unit" quickly. I'd only seen shots of it (nice 2 space wood rack), and it must have 70 dB of gain. I guess they are made to order, and very secretive about the design/components - everything is sealed over, so don't try any repairs/mods. I might have to borrow this more often. I'm going to try it out more on another session tomorrow, but for now, sure gave me a reason to grin tonight...thumbsup
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well?

Nobody ever heard or tried the DaviSound (TB-6)? I guess it's only me and a handfull of others not on this board...

I ran kick and snare through it today: again, I am really impressed with the punch and direct sound - no veil overtop, and actually preferred it to the 1073's (with EQ) for tracking. It seems they are a bit noisier than most of my other pre's, but negligible when tracking kik and snare. Overall, I think it really has a killer sound to it. Will run more tests over the next few days: will try some acoustic instruments (guitar, marimba, trombone) next, and will pass judgement on it's usefulness once again... heh
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never actually heard them, but it seems that they are always mentioned whenever affordable yet reasonably good quality preamps are discussed, along with the John Hardy, Grace 101, and Sytek. I've never run across anyone really dissing them.
Old 17th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jay - its due time for an update wouldn't you say?
I just spoke with someone today who says these are the cat's meow - comparable to but better than the millenia preamps in his opinion.

If you have any good tracks done with the Davi -- please post em.

heh
Old 17th September 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I like the wood box...
Old 19th September 2004
hrn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's impossible to compare gear using the word "better".
Old 23rd September 2004
Lives for gear

I remember some mic pre comparisson that had the TB-6 on it... I'll try to find on the net!
πŸ“ Reply