Quantcast
Threads Getting Deleted - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Threads Getting Deleted
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Threads Getting Deleted

Jules mentioned this on another recent post, about a long thread disappearing because the OP deleted it. I've found the same thing several times here lately... going along with a good discussion, then all of a sudden the OP decides he doesn't like it anymore and

Of course you should be able to delete/edit your own remarks, but everyone else's? Who "owns" this information, once it is public?

Thoughts?

Steve
Old 10th August 2005
OP = Original Poster...

Yes well it can happen...

Right now.. the creator of the FIRST POST - DOES have the power to DELETE the whole thread. It does mean that someone that gets seriously ticked off or upset CAN wreak some fairly serious damage before steps are taken to prevent the deletions (by suspending or banning them)

I should look into that...

good idea..

Thanks..

As for who owns it?

The Germans have a good expression (scuse bad spelling) Weiss der guyer. - "The eagle knows" (meaning us folks down here on the ground - havent a clue - go ask the eagle!)

Jules
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No one owns any of the information in an open and free forum. If you choose to contribute, there is a chance your contribution will not always be there. If you want to save it forever, I suggest ctrl-c ctrl-v and save it as a doc.
Old 10th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules

As for who owns it?

The Germans have a good expression (scuse bad spelling) Weiss der guyer. - "The eagle knows" (meaning us folks down here on the ground - havent a clue - go ask the eagle!)

Jules
Hopefully i don´t get smacked up for sounding like a smart ass heh , but i´d like
to add something:

You say: "Weiß der Geier"... That means "The vulture may know..."

It´s not the eagle. Maybe because he has no clue... Who knows?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune
Hopefully i don´t get smacked up for sounding like a smart ass heh , but i´d like
to add something:

You say: "Weiß der Geier"... That means "The vulture may know..."

It´s not the eagle. Maybe because he has no clue... Who knows?
So, is "Weiß der Geier" the actual expression used or is it something different?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, that´s the actual expression commonly used in germany.
It´s not only used to express one´s cluelessness, but you may
also use it to show your disinterest.

So back to the original question: Who "owns" all the information
posted in this forum?
Since i have no idea... i agree with Jules: Weiß der Geier... heh

do you guys have an "ß" on your keyboard ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Jules. As far as owning -- right now apparently the person who starts a thread owns it, since he has power of whether it stays available or not. This place could be emptied out pretty quick if a few folks decided to delete their threads. I get a lot of use from searching the archives, would hate to see that disappear, although many have already gone this way. Don't know about ctrl-c and pasting a 10-page thread... might get a little tough.

We were discussing some ideas a while back and the OP decided we were not toeing his line of the topic when some of us branched out a little to cover some interesting related ideas. His question had already been answered so where's the harm? Nope, a little pouty fit and -gone-. Some of us carried on the discussion in PM.

And there have been cases recently with some pretty questionable FS dealings in the Classifieds. But they were deleted before they got much traffic, and now no one can benefit from watching out for those sellers.

Anyway, no big deal, just a thought. I like these forums and learn a lot, appreciate your support Jules and other moderators (and members).

Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
We were discussing some ideas a while back and the OP decided we were not toeing his line of the topic when some of us branched out a little to cover some interesting related ideas. His question had already been answered so where's the harm? Nope, a little pouty fit and -gone-. Some of us carried on the discussion in PM.
It´s a pity that a thread gets deleted just because the OP thinks it´s
getting off topic, even if the question was answered...

For me a thread is much like a normal discussion with a couple of people
in the same room. "threadstarter" asks a question - question gets answered -
people are going on with discussion - discussion takes another direction...
I wouldn´t even dare to think of telling people to shut up.

OK, maybe this analogy sounds a little weird, but i think everyone understands.
Hopefully....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

So back to the original question: Who "owns" all the information
posted in this forum?
Since i have no idea... i agree with Jules: Weiß der Geier... heh
Thanks for the lesson.
Quote:
do you guys have an "ß" on your keyboard ?
No, I copy/paste if it's convenient or use Alt codes. FWIW, alt+Num0223 =ß
Old 11th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've deleted my threads for a number or reasons. If this power was taken away, I would be quite upset.

It is sad that people can delete an entire thread, that could be full of great information, just because they "get a hair up their a$$".

It's also sad people steal, kill, get voilent, abuse the law, abuse drugs, etc etc.

What would be nice is if you could have a "save a thread to my computer" feature. Or they have something on PSW like "save this thread as text" or something to that effect. Maybe it's "publish this thread"....whatever, you know what I'm talking about.

Please don't take away the right to delete a thread by the OP.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I feel the opposite, threads should not be able to be deleted by the original poster, only by the administrator. People spend time contributing to these threads, and it's extremely rude to delete their efforts, essentially saying their time and thoughts have no value. So absolutely, take away the ability for the OP to delete their threads.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I find this thread slightly amusing considering Jules' signature contains a quote from a thread I started. I deleted that thread the day this thread started!
Coincidence, or something more? (cue theme to Twighlight Zone)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So I'm curious, humor me a little -- why did you guys delete your threads?

Steve
Lek
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
squeegybug, it'd be pretty damn funny if you deleted this thread...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp71
squeegybug, it'd be pretty damn funny if you deleted this thread...

Yes...that would be hillarious.

I've deleted threads for a number or reasons.

1: No response (it happens quite often to me)

2: There is something in the thread that I wanted removed, but someone quoted me so I couldn't just delete my post to make it go away. I'd also check the thread for any significant information. If it had any..I'd leave it. If it didn't, I'd delete it. I've made references to stuff I've worked on and wanted it all erased from the internet.

3: Thread topic was never discussed and thread went hay-wire. Essentially a "useless thread".

I've never deleted a thread because someone else said something I didn't like. That's immature. I would hope no-one would ever do that either.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So I'm curious, humor me a little -- why did you guys delete your threads?

Steve
It was a stupid question that I posted and could have led to hostile responses aimed at other slutz, so I deleted it.
Hmmmmmm.....

I HAVE found out where in the admin pages I can tweak this user option.
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So?
Has Squeeky lost his powers to delete this thread?

What's your decision, Jules?
Preserving the bulk of a threads information to me outweights the option for an origional poster to wipe it all out..

If quoted text of the OP in the thread causes the OP GENUINE hardship - a request to admin to edit / delete that text can be made...

Thats where my thoughts lie right now...
member no 666

🎧 15 years
My understanding of it is that the posts are owned by the author of that post and that the site has an implied "one time license" to that information. Anyone may choose at any time to revoke that "one time license" [by deleting their post].

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and I've never even played one on TV... so consider the previous bull**** [but it is my understanding of who owns what].
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok good points from everyone, thanks. I guess I'm still coming from usenet mentality... post it and it's there forever (unless no-archive or whatever)

I'm in favor of individuals being able to delete their own posts. But djui's point about quotes won't fix that, except as Jules has offered. I could live with that option.

But we'll just have to have this discussion all over again, if I decide to delete the whole thing...

Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
My understanding of it is that the posts are owned by the author of that post and that the site has an implied "one time license" to that information. Anyone may choose at any time to revoke that "one time license" [by deleting their post].

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and I've never even played one on TV... so consider the previous bull**** [but it is my understanding of who owns what].
Okay, but the way it is now the OP can delete everyone's post in the thread, not just his or her own. If everyone in a thread is granting essentially a "one time license" to their information, the OP should not have the right to delete other folk's posts.

Legally, it all seems a little grey to me. But I really like the idea that only the administrator can delete full threads. That puts at least a little burden of proving a legitimate reason for the deletion on the original poster. I do hate it when threads dissapear, it really goes against the spirit of the group contributing to the general pool of knowledge/information that drives these message boards, in my opinion. So I hope you'll enable that administrator only priviledge, Jules!
Quote:
But we'll just have to have this discussion all over again, if I decide to delete the whole thing...

Steve
Well see if you can BUSTER!

Go on... I DARE YA! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well see if you can BUSTER!

Go on... I DARE YA! heh

Steve
Delete button not working now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Delete button not working now?
Well I haven't tried... want me to? Or should we try on a dummy to be sure, I mean this is such a valuable thread and all

Steve
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

oooh, inside info on a german idiom used, no doubt, by cool germans? this very well could be my "in" with franka potente.

wish me luck!

gregoire
del ubik
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I like the idea of the O.P. being able to delete a thread in the "Gear For Sale" section. A seller can delete the thread once the item is sold. I'd just as soon not be reminded of great deals I've missed out on.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKden
I like the idea of the O.P. being able to delete a thread in the "Gear For Sale" section. A seller can delete the thread once the item is sold. I'd just as soon not be reminded of great deals I've missed out on.

heh

actually a couple of ads were ones that kind of ticked me off about this... someone posting some gear, then refusing to sell to the first folks who offered to buy at his price when he found out he was getting more interest than he expected.

Then he deleted the thread and reposted with a higher price. And then deleted that one. Free market and all that, sure. But I won't do business with him now, because I caught what was going on before he pulled the ads. Others who can't see the history now won't have a clue.

Besides, don't you use FS prices to sometimes get a feel for going rate on stuff?

Steve
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
false alarm.. sorry.
📝 Reply