Quantcast
Your home stereo...high end or crap? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your home stereo...high end or crap?
Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have 2 systems.

One is a more modern Marantz Amp, paired with some modern Wharfdale bookshelf speakers.

I also have a NAD 3020 series 20 (off my dad) and some Wharfdale Denton speakers (from my grandfather)

Nowadays I mostly play wavs with my computer through both of them. Although, the marantz is pretty much ignored. The NAD with those old speakers makes everything sound like it was recorded in the 70's. Love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My home stereo set up is identical to my studio setup, because my studio is in my house. It's the only "decent" system I have.

The only other systems on which I listen to recorded music regularly are my laptop speakers (MacBook) and my car stereo (Bose).

The last time I had a dedicated home stereo was almost twenty years ago (college). It was a $100 CD/tape combo with detachable 4" speakers.

I haven't really listened to music for pleasure in ages. It's alway's work related. I almost never put records on just for the hell of it. In the car, even though I've got a multi-cd changer, I just put on the radio and listen to whatever.

I guess I just haven't felt a need for a home stereo system.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Just curious...what's your home stereo like?
Most of my listening time is in my home office, and I just listen to iTunes on a pair of small Cambridge computer speakers. Also some in the car, and the Mazda has a pretty good system.

Not much "home stereo listening" compared to before I had a family.

I got a decent H/K receiver back in 1975, and that is what we still use in our family living room, along with some bookshelf speakers I made in the early '80s from a kit from McGee Radio, which used to be in Kansas City.

I bought a nice hi-fi system in 1981, and the Hafler amp and big Polk speakers still see some use, but have been used in the studio for many, many years.

Cheers,

Otto
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
my home stereo is mostly castoffs from the studio, whatever amp and whatever cd player and an RCA-to-mini adapter hanging over the top of the unit for my iPod

the nicest part is the JBL L100's I have for speakers, they were my monitors, back in my old studio, now retired.

the rest, well let's just say NOT high end.

since the studio is in the house, the living room amp is patched in, so I can use the JBLs as alternative references, mastering etc.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

worse than crap.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've got a late 70s Kenwood receiver/amp, the sony CD player I got with christmas money in around 1992, Polk Audio bookshelves, and I recently got a PROJECT/one turntable. I have a Sony dual well cassette deck, but it's not hooked in because I bought and 1/8"-RCA stereo cable for my iPod or laptop. My cassettes are in storage in a friend's basement anyway.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use my Fostex PM 0.5's for my bedroom playback and a pair of Yorkville's with a small dayton amp for my living room.
Old 5th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mostly older high end stuff.

Rega Planar turntable that I machined an acrylic platter for, Sumiko arm wrap and a bit of duct seal around the Benz Micro cartridge

Cal Audio Icon II CD player

Levinson ML7b preamp

Classe 70 amp

Alon 1 speakers (the only dynamics that would satisfy me after my son was born and I was afraid he'd mess up the ribbons on the Maggies)

Mishmosh of cables that I've found with the LEMO connectors (for the Levinson) on them. Turntable and CD are Levinson silver. Pre to amp is MIT and currently I have Tara Labs RSC Prime speaker cables. When I bought the Alons they gave me this bizzare Calvin Geyer wire for the treble along with a set of XLO for the bass (speakers are bi-wired). Damned if it didn't sound better than the RSC I was running on the Maggies. But two separate cables that look completely different doesn't have a good WAF (wife acceptance factor) so the white Tara Labs is good enough.

Hardly ever have a chance to sit down and listen for enjoyment any more. More often than not, it's the iPhone in the studio where I can get some quiet.
Old 3rd February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Home Stereo

My home audio system is also part of my home studio:

Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
Primacoustic recoil stabilizer speaker stands (on Omnirax Force 36 music desk)
Velodyne Optimum 12 subwoofer
Bryston BP20 preamplifier
Bryston 2BSST amplifier
Sony CDP-XA5400ES SACD player
Furman P-1800 PFR power conditioner
Kimber Kable Signature XLR interconnects (silver/copper hybrid)
Audioquest Meteor speaker cable (biwired)
Kimber Kable Palladian power cords
Wattgate wall power recepticle

I know I'm a cable slut and old-school 2-channel guy.heh
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

My home stereo is a pair of Genelec 8250A's. They're also my computer monitors at the same time.
πŸ“ Reply