Latest Interpol Record - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Latest Interpol Record
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Latest Interpol Record

Anyone else think it sounds fantastic?
The drums and bass I am especially fond of... there seems to be a nice sounding distortion over almost everything and of course the mass useage of reverb.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
But god is the first album better...

I love both records, and i think they sound great...fairly squashed but great non the less
Old 9th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Drum buss is all about the Thermionic Culture Phoenix comp...
Got one here....it definitely does NOT suck. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The first one sounds all 'Phasey' in parts..

Anyone else notice this or should i put down the crack pipe?
Wiggy
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It has been out for a while and I still love it. I might be the only Interpol fan that likes the latest one better than the first album. Although the bass player goes a little overboard on the disco bass line on Antics. One song is enough but three?
Founder

Has crappy become the new black?

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Turn on the Bright Lights" really did it for me.

But, "Antics" was probably the biggest dissappointment for me. From the songwriting to the production, mixing and mastering, There is nothing redeeming about the album in my view.

A great pity, but i just feel that the weight of expectation was too much after "Bright Lights", and they lost their instincts.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules

heh

need to be at least on bus 4 to fully understand this one
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City
"Turn on the Bright Lights" really did it for me.

But, "Antics" was probably the biggest dissappointment for me. From the songwriting to the production, mixing and mastering, There is nothing redeeming about the album in my view.

A great pity, but i just feel that the weight of expectation was too much after "Bright Lights", and they lost their instincts.
i think i agree - i only ever felt compelled to hear the title song of that
first record -

the second one sounded like outakes to me..........

- jack
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Interpol

I enjoy both Interpol records, the new one more than the first, but neither that much. Having said that, sonically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules

Amen! -E
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think the 1st record is way over limited.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
ahhhh

I loved turn on the bright lights, so i was really anticipating the release of antics, but when it came out i was quite disappointed.

They wrote seemingly cliche interpol sounding songs, but replaced kickass synth strings with organs. While Turn on the Bright Lights sounds like it was recorded in the dank corners of a giant boiler room (cave, elevator shaft, what have you), Antics sounds like it was recorded in a giant church, sun beating through the stained glass, people smiling, accompanied by the old lady on the pipe organ and the whole heavenly freaking choir.

i kept asking myself "what happened to the pleasantly meloncholy and poetic Interpol that i grew to know and love?" Down the ****ter, anyone read their interveiw in spin?

Tarquin studios does kick some serious ass however..so i have heard.

i just hope they dont let me down again..

keith.

the production is good though haha.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i dug the whole vibe on turn on the bright lights, but felt like i kept hearing weird tempo issues comming from the drummer. i'm certainly the last to be a tempo ****, but something about it really bugged me. he seems to have improved on the second record.
Old 10th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've very much been digging Antics...haven't heard Bright Lights yet, but going on everyone's comments here I will definitely check it out.

Antics has a very warm rock sound about it, really dig the drums + guits. Like the guy's voice, although Ian Curtis could sue, couldn't he? OK, from the grave then.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I think Antics has taken an unfair slating by some people since its release. Turn On The Bright Lights was/ is one of the best debut albums of the last five years - catchy songs, great music and beautiful, poetic lyrics (and if you don't believe me, take a look at em!). It was always going to be a tough act to follow, and although Antics may not be quite the gem its predecessor is, its a fine album nonetheless.

'Evil' and 'Not Even Jail' are two of Interpol's best songs - gripping, immediate and experimental at the same time. 'C'mere' is Interpol's first stab at a pop song; 'Slow Hands', for the first 10 seconds or so, sounds like Franz Ferdinand, but as soon as Banks' voice comes in it's clear how far ahead of so-called opposition they still are.

It might not be as good as Turn On..., but Antics is still a bold work. Listen to it a couple more times if you're still unsure. Their experimentation with disco tempos and basslines may not always work, but they should be given credit for pushing boundaries. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what they do next...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I like both records ..song wise I do prefer Bright Lights.
It's just nice to hear someone atempting to make records that are kinda warm,atmospheric and dark..The sonic signature reminds me a little of an old Mott the Hoople record or something..
I can see how it's a bit overdone in some places..but hey, it got my attention.
so much of the stuff i hear on the radio lately seems so overly bright.
so much modern rock just sounds like hyped /overcomped **** to me..
IE:Velvet Revolver[even recorded analog-but then butchered in mastering]

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i think the vocals sound like ****e

but that's just my opinion
i do like interpol tho
just did't like the oversqueezing
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Vocals and drums sound better on "Turn on the Bright Lights" I think.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I think both albums are great, and have a great sound. Even if you don't like the sound, one must admit that it is something distinguishing. What's with all this complaining about "over limiting" and things of that nature. I have never heard an album that has been ruined for me because of anything produciton related. If the songs are good, they are good period.

Bart
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was so confused before I checked the date of the original post in this thread.

Am I the only one who feels guilty for liking Interpol?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't feel guilty..
I like Joy division
I like Interpol
I like the Velvet underground
and I also like The Dream Syndicate..Etc,Etc..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I enjoy Interpol. I did enjoy the 1st record alot more then the 2nd. I haven't quite put my finger on it. When I got the 1st record I listened to it alomst non stop for about 3 weeks. The 2nd one has some good stuff on it, but just didn't "catch" for me. I guess my musical tastes have moved on to something new. O well.
ERic
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No guilt here either. I listened to Anics today.
Old 11th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I *really* dig "Turn on the Bright Lights." My wife and I were fighting over it for the first few weeks, then her sister, our friends, etc. Sure, their sound has a lot to do with Joy Division, etc., but the album sounded fresh and it definitely has energy and vibe. It still hits me pretty hard when I get a chance to listen to it with some volume. The recording is a bit dull and washy, but it works for their sound. Gareth Jones is one smart cookie.

We even flew to San Francisco to catch Interpol's show at the Fillmore and it was excellent. I was especially grateful that the Fillmore has a small array of cabinets mounted above the stage for vocal reinforcement. We were right up against the stage and it sounded amazing. We were picking up as much direct sound from the guitar amps and drums on stage as from the PAs, then the subs and vocal array filled the rest in nicely.

Their Palladium show the next year was not so good -- performance had less energy and the mix was a disaster. Dead middle of the room, half way back and there were almost no vocals. All I could hear was a huge bass drum, and a wash of guitars. Crap!

Ok, on to "Antics" -- the sound is great, kind of like the first album minus a layer of grime on the window and with much more punch. You can tell that the same folks recorded it at the same studio (Tarquin), but with upgraded gear and more polish. Still, for all the technical advances, the "Antics" sound ends up lacking the ambience and cohesion of the first album. Aside from a few songs, it's not nearly as strong musically IMO.

Saw Interpol for the 3rd time right after "Antics was released." Show at the Wiltern. Really dry, uninspired performance and way too loud for the venue. A surprising number of people left during the show. Maybe on account of the volume, maybe the performance....

In any event, I hope their first album and show wasn't a fluke. I really dig Interpol and I hope they're 3rd album is their best.

-Synth80s
Old 4th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just wanna revive this thread because I have a few questions as well as comments.

First of all, I think you guys are CRAZY for thinking the first record is VASTLY superior to Antics. I think on Bright Lights the kick and bass are too boomy and the hi's lack clarity. That's my opinion, and I even like the songs better on Antics although both are fantastic. Our Love to me is a sonic masterpiece but DAMN it lacks in the song arena.

Anyway, does anyone know what pres they used primarily in the recording of Antics or Bright Lights? I wanna say it sounds API but I'm not sure. I read the gear list at Tarquin and they have API pres but they're pictured in front of what looks like the 56 ch. Neotek.

Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
As long as this is being resurrected, I have to say that I opened for Interpol drummer Sam Fogarino's band Magnetic Morning (fronted by my hero, Adam Franklin of Swervedriver) and I was totally blown away.

I've never noticed Sam's work with Interpol, and he's not even my type of drummer (too meat and potato-y) but live, the dude has FEEL. GOD, does he have feel. I could listen to him play all night, and he wasn't even DOING anything! I just had to give him props, and this seems like the place. -E
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpot ➑️
i dug the whole vibe on turn on the bright lights, but felt like i kept hearing weird tempo issues comming from the drummer. i'm certainly the last to be a tempo ****, but something about it really bugged me. he seems to have improved on the second record.
You felt like there were weird tempo issues because there were! It bothered me at first as well but after continuing to listen to the album, I actually grew to appreciate it. To me, it just gives it a more organic feel.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm not bitching about reviving old threads for good reason (and this one is fine with me) but it seems like I always open them up, fail to look at the date of the OP and proceed to make a fool of myself.

And, in fact, the only reason I didn't here is because I went to the Interpol site to make sure Our Love to Admire was still the latest. It's a pet sore subject with me because I really like Interpol (against all my intellect and sophisticated aesthetic sensibilty heh ) but Our Love just sounds awful to me, sound-wise, which is really frustrating, since I think I'd really like the music if it didn't hurt my ears -- even at low volume. I'm sitting here listening to "Pioneer to the Falls" at a level you could talk over and it hurts, it's so grainy, harsh, and squashed.

Sorry to pirate the topic.

Go on back to 2005... heh
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Huh. I feel that way about the first one, and I'm totally with you on the mixed feelings front. -E

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
I'm not bitching about reviving old threads for good reason (and this one is fine with me) but it seems like I always open them up, fail to look at the date of the OP and proceed to make a fool of myself.

And, in fact, the only reason I didn't here is because I went to the Interpol site to make sure Our Love to Admire was still the latest. It's a pet sore subject with me because I really like Interpol (against all my intellect and sophisticated aesthetic sensibilty heh ) but Our Love just sounds awful to me, sound-wise, which is really frustrating, since I think I'd really like the music if it didn't hurt my ears -- even at low volume. I'm sitting here listening to "Pioneer to the Falls" at a level you could talk over and it hurts, it's so grainy, harsh, and squashed.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️

Hmm, I'll have to listen to Our Love because the few times I listened to it (I can't really feel most of the songs) I thought it sounded great. I guess I have the same feeling as you but in reverse. Production is nice but performances and songs are just bland to me. What happened to Carlos's awesome melodies?

Again, I think Antics is their peak but Bright Lights is a classic.
πŸ“ Reply