Quantcast
Your Favorite Song of All Time - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Favorite Song of All Time
Old 21st October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the beatle song, you know which one I am talking about.....
ok, ok, today I'll choose one of them:

the Beatles- while my guitar gently weeps

Because George Harrisson was actually as briljant as John and Paul. This song delivers the shivers. I love the conceptual thing: songtitle and the weeping solo by...Clapto, wasnt it?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nina Simone's cover of "Put a Spell on You."

Never fails to give me goose bumps.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibike ➑️
the beatle song, you know which one I am talking about.....
ok, ok, today I'll choose one of them:

the Beatles- while my guitar gently weeps

Because George Harrisson was actually as briljant as John and Paul. This song delivers the shivers. I love the conceptual thing: songtitle and the weeping solo by...Clapto, wasnt it?
Yup, Clapton on a Les Paul, which was "wobbled" by ADT in production.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
" S t a r d u s t "
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Marvin Gaye's Inner city Blues with Jamerson on the bass... hum... donuts lol

-Alxi-
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I agree with earlier post

Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd

The song has everything:

-great lyrics
-great melody
-greatest guitar solo (in my opinion)
-great production
-just great period
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm.....

Just might be Dear Prudence.

Why? Because of the way it makes me feel every time I hear it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i did it my way //// sid vicious
Old 22nd October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K ➑️
3 Days by: Janes Addiction

Great vibe... Kind of like James Gang on 10 different types of hallucinogens with Perry doing his thing that only he does. It is like their "The End" (by the doors). Every emotion is in that song. A summary of all that Janes does condensed into 10 minutes and forty-six seconds.

You beat me to it! I absolutely dig this song. Three Days has all the ingredients you could want in an epic - the slow intro, the trippy and vaguely sexual lyrics, the melodic solo section, the power freakout drum jam, the rockin' crescendo. But I just don't hear the James Gang reference.

Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" is a close second. That guitar solo .....wow, man, like it really lines up my chakras.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➑️
Billy Paul ,Me and Mrs. Jones'

I could listen to that all day. A perfect song with a perfect vocal and a perfect arrangement.

The vocal is a once-in-a-lifetime performance IMO, it's amazing how 'inside' the track the vocal is.

Perfection on all fronts!

Andi

DOORKNOCKER RECORDING STUDIO
Mee-ee-eye-eye... Mrs... Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs Jo-ones.

Yes. Great call.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have to say Something by The Beatles for many reasons. The verse is in C, the B section is in A major, yet it all seems so seamless. The bass line is whole school of bass playing in and of itself, the bass lick tying the verse and B section together is brilliant.

Great lyrics, the production and sounds are amazing, but seeing anyone who can really sing perform it with only a piano or guitar makes you realize how great the song really is. You don't miss the big production. That also says a lot about the production too. As amazing as it is, it merely supports an already amazing song and doesn't get in the way of it.

Frank Sinatra liked it a lot too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snedley ➑️
"Yours Is No Disgrace"
Great tune. About the Vietnam War............

What a bass sound
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Favorite song... no question, without a doubt...

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil

Sung by Elisabeth Fraser (check out the video on YouTube)
Written by Tim Buckley (Jeff's Father)

Music as communication of emotion... and this it's highest
example. It kills me every time I hear it.

Day in the Life (Beatles) is a close second.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bach Cello Suites - All Six!

Aloha,

I love all the songs you've all named here. Thanks for reminding me to check in with them again. CREEPIN"...yeah!

For me, the music I'd like to hear at the end...or the beginning.. would be the six BACH CELLO SUITES as played solo in '83 by Yo-Yo Ma.

Bach completed them in 1727 to be played by a cello virtuoso friend at a time when the cello was just evolving from the viola de Gama family of instruments. After it was played, the music vanished - for 170 years?!?

Pablo Casals found it in Madrid in 1895, dusted it off and the SUITES have been the standard for the cello ever since.

I always return to the SUITES for solace and guidance.

A Hui Hou!

alohachris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintytowel ➑️
I have to say Something by The Beatles for many reasons. The verse is in C, the B section is in A major, yet it all seems so seamless. The bass line is whole school of bass playing in and of itself, the bass lick tying the verse and B section together is brilliant.

Great lyrics, the production and sounds are amazing, but seeing anyone who can really sing perform it with only a piano or guitar makes you realize how great the song really is. You don't miss the big production. That also says a lot about the production too. As amazing as it is, it merely supports an already amazing song and doesn't get in the way of it.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I recorded "Something" with acoustic guitar, vocals, strings (violins...etc), electric guitar, and a tambourine for my girlfriend and I's 7 year anniversary. It took me awhile to figure out an acoustic guitar part that went well with the song. I think it turned out great though.

Jeff
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pink Floyd: "Echoes."

Greatest rock song ever written. A cosmic trip in music. Soundtrack to the birth of the universe--and to the birth of each new day. Most complex and encyclopedic song. Most experimental (while still retaining traditional elements). Most perfect structure: mandalic--circular, with a center, and multiple repeating, yet varied images between (reflecting the song's meaning). The re-entry from the middle, ambient section is utterly glorious--in its transcendent power it is second in all of music only to the opening passage of R. Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra (theme of 2001: A Space Odyssey).

There are some very fine and memorable songs listed in this thread, but none of them even attempt a sonic vision as vast as "Echoes." In terms of artistic merit, "Echoes" is #1 in popular music.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Jude
a perfect balance of hope and contemplation
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
John Denver Old Country Road, not for the production (engineering wise) but the SONG itself is beautiful.
TYY
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintytowel ➑️
So did Elvis.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➑️
Billy Paul ,Me and Mrs. Jones'

I could listen to that all day. A perfect song with a perfect vocal and a perfect arrangement.

Andi
Can't disagree, but the first song that came to mine, for the exact same reasons was 'The first Time Ever I Saw Your Face' by Roberta Flack, Great song, Great arrangement, and great performance. Could also say the same about Exodus by Bob Marley and the Wailers. What a groove.

Also love many others already listed. Eleanor Rigby (and many other Beatles), Earth Wind & Fire, Queen, Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac - how could you pick only one song from any of them.

I know my tastes are very eclectic, and I haven't even listed any folk singers or Blues, or..... but could.....

But, if I had to go for only one - Roberta Flack, it just has so much soul.

Cheers,
Mihaly.
Old 27th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
"Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues featuring Kirsty Mccall.

I don't really have to give any reason why do I? Feels self explanatory.

After this, a whole bunch of Tom Waits songs crowd together...
Old 27th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➑️
Since I've been loving you - Led Zepplin

I think it was a very inspired performance. I feel everyone of Pages notes as if I were playing it myself. Plant is wearing his heart on his shoulder....I dunno, I can just feel it.
+1

Plant and Page's version with Michael Lee and Charlie Jones on the "Unledded" session is stellar as well..
Old 6th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Satisfaction
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
Honkey Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones

Must have been the humid Muscle Shoals air or sumpin' - out of this world Phatt-ness - Sounds like a Bel-Ami Juke Box on overload - rich and warm. Guitar riff's from Heaven. Everyone seemed to be on fire that session, band, Horns, Piano, BV's, engineer, producer and although it is a tapestry woven with intertwining gtr's you get the over all (but falce) impression you are following ONE joyous guitar part all the way through the song. I think the locals swamped em with hot sauce talent on that one. Hot stuff
+1
The greatest rock & roll song EVER...
40 Yrs. old next year..
Everything I aspire to do in music is in this recording...
C
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Adagio by Khatchaturian, from the 2001 soundtrack - i want that played at my funeral...

pork pie hat by joni mitchell

tales from topographic oceans by yes (any of it).

sossity by jethro tull (and many others by that wizard).

breathe by pink floyd.

40,000 headmen by blood sweat and tears

avenging annie by andy pratt

blue by joni mitchell

red barchetta by rush

here at the western world by steely dan

heart of the sunrise by yes

rough boy by zz top

shape of my heart by sting

luck of the draw by bonnie raitt

crikey, i could just go on and on...

tons of stuff by led zep, pink floyd, yes, beatles, joni mitchell, james taylor, jethro tull, steely dan... yep, i harken back to the days of heady music that filled your soul with hope for the future and dreams of a new reality. i cannot listen to the radio any more. sad...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
"Tempted" by Squeeze

Makes me feel good.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Baby Blue - Badfinger

Many songs since then, but there was a time when, if you asked, that would be my answer. Haven't heard it in a while.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My favorite song has been the same since it was released: "Africa" by Toto. Great playing, great arrangement, great production, intriguing insrumentation and lyrics, awesome harmonies, etc. I think Toto has taken a turn for the worse after Jeff Porcaro passed away (though Simon is undoubedly a great drummer). There used to be a sort of mystique to their songwriting. Although Jeff was never a primary songwriter for Toto, I get the impression that he had a lot of influence on all their material. He definitely had a huge influence on their sound. Toto IV and The Seventh One are my favorite Toto records overall.

Any other Toto geeks here?

-Ben B
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I need to stick to just one song. That is tough. OK.

Strawberry Fields--Beatles

and

Jesus, etc.--Wilco

I could make a list of a hundred.

Paranoid Android--Radiohead
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Maggie May"

No question for me.

Just pure rock. Early Rod for me is just the perfect voice. I once heard someone refer to it as "devilishly sweet" which I think is perfect.

Kenny Jones on the drums for the faces is just the most amazing drum parts I've ever heard.

"Every Picture Tells a Story" is a close second for the same reasons.
πŸ“ Reply