Quantcast
Radar into Pro Tools question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radar into Pro Tools question
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Radar into Pro Tools question

What would the benefits be of purchasing a Radar system9the cheap one) to track and then dump to my mix plus system Currently, my i/o is a D8B thru a couple adat bridges into PT. Just curious. Have heard it sounds analog. Maybe I could dump my 16trk reel? Am I on crack? Would it make more sense to go pt hd or upgrade my converters. For the past 4 years it always sucks to hear the sound come off tape...only to come back thru the box all.......boxy. Any input appreciated.
Tim
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go for HD and you'll probably never think about it again. I was in the same position a year ago.

HD 192s = Radar, both A/D and D/A
Old 24th April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
The converters in the RADAR-24 system eat the converters in PT-HD for breakfast and **** them out before lunch.

With that conversion, you can also record entirely in the RADAR system, then export the files via Broadcast Wave Files to a P-T system should you decide to mix in that system or just process the files via available 'plug-ins' before either exporting the files back to RADAR to mix analog... or sending the P-T audio out via the RADAR converters in "stems" to mix with something like a 'Dangerous 2 buss'.

If you seriously give a **** about the quality of your audio, I'd highly recommend that you look at a RADAR-24 system.

Best of luck with it.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm using RADAR 24 with the Nyquist converters along with PTHD and am very happy with it.
I use analog all the time then dump into RADAR, nothing short of stellar.
HD 192(still)=shrill, grainy, and thin. it's better than before but I still have my RADAR.
Old 24th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there a way to record enable Radar and pass the signals digitally to PT? I thought I read where Mike was doing that.

For anyone who basically looks at it as spending $20 large on converters, Radar is the shizznizzle.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Radar24 (with 96k conv) and recently bought an HD rig and expected to take a sonic hit but it didn't happen. I think the HD stuff sounds as good as the Radar. I know that goes against the hype but it's my experience. Flame away.
drew
Old 24th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know that that statement makes you combustible, but did you buy the Nyquist converters for the Radar or the stock ones? That apparently makes the difference.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes it's the Nyquist card.
drew
Old 24th April 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've had both for a while and there's a distinct difference. The 192s have that stupid mid bump which really annoys me. Yes they're better than before but the Nyquist Radar sounds awfully good. All should check out Lynn's ADC cd when it comes out. Fletcher and I sat side by side at AES and realized a lot from that little experience... I'm not just talking about eq, I'm talking about other major differences that were astounding.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what makes the Radar sound so much better than say crane song a/d or mytek a/d into a computer? Is the favorable comparison just Radar v. HD or is it Radar v. anything else out there?
Old 24th April 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
In this case it's RADAR vs HD. The HEDD sounds great too. RADAR just sounds/emulates great analog.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm kinda on the fence. Guess I gotta hear a Radar with the Nyquist converters. I've got PT mix plus into a D8B with neve, avalon, tube tech and api as a front end. Your basic gearslut stuff like everyone else. I'm just tired of hearing fat sounds go into PT and come out flat. I'm using the converters in the D8b with an apogee clock inside the board. Oh...by the way....Mackie can bite me. Allot of the pots are going on the board. Piece of crap. But it works. Do I upgrade to HD, get better converters or go for a Radar. To be honest. I could just buy a couple of some cool outboard effx like The KSP 8...etc and print to tape or conect digitally. But I'm limited to 24 tracks with the Radar. Plus 24/96 means I can't really use Radar. I wonder how close the 24/96 HD is to Radar 44.1 Anyway...... I would miss sound replacer....and some other stuff. From my studios angle...I don't really have a need to get a Radar. PT mix is fine for all my projects. I get the most out of it with a tape machine and analog gear. Speaking of which..is there a PT plugin' that sounds like a compressor...I don't think there is...Any ideas. I beginning to think all the plugs are a joke except some of the delays and verbs. There useful...the moog stuffs ok. I guess I would be upgrading for ME ...at thye end of the day..thats what counts. Any opinions...Am I nuts.....I'm outta breath

Tim
Old 28th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by TML
...Plus 24/96 means I can't really use Radar. I wonder how close the 24/96 HD is to Radar 44.1
Radar does 24/96 with the Nyquist converters.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
I've had both for a while and there's a distinct difference. The 192s have that stupid mid bump which really annoys me. Yes they're better than before but the Nyquist Radar sounds awfully good. All should check out Lynn's ADC cd when it comes out. Fletcher and I sat side by side at AES and realized a lot from that little experience... I'm not just talking about eq, I'm talking about other major differences that were astounding.

Thanks,
Ted.
If you're hearing a significant midrange bump in your 192 system I'd say it's either broken or you've got a midrange bump somewhere else in your chain that you're hearing for the first time. My system seems flat and transparent to a fault--I'm using the 192 instead of my AD-8000 because of its greater transparency, which, for better or worse, also makes it a little less analog sounding. Perhaps not the absolute best converters to a purist, but I wonder whether the difference between the 192 and Radar isn't just a question of taste rather than absolute quality or accuracy.

As long as we're being anecdotal, I just picked up the new major label release of one of my favorite artists and was dismayed at what was obviously a lifeless Protools mix, where the elements don't really congeal. Know what I mean? Turns out it was Radar.

I too look forward to hearing Lynn's CD. Hopefully we'll be able to hear what Radar converters sound like without an analog console tossed in as a variable.

-R
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Radar does 24/96 with the Nyquist converters."

Dave-
Right....wondering what 24/44.1 Radar would sound like up against 24/96 PT HD due to the track limitations in the Radar system. 2 units would be to costly for me. I think you can get 24 tracks of HD 96 K for the smae dough? Anyone?
Tim
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Don't wanna sound like a jerk, but the 192 is now probably equal to any apogee, as for RADAR it comes down to taste. IF your clock is spot on don't worry. People are trying to say to me that Focusrite convertors are better than the 192, and to be honest there comes a time when if you can hear a difference you must be dreaming.

I've used RADAR the 192 is great, however I hate the big boys at Digi.

No reward for customer loyalty, only slaps in the face.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I was about to put it in and after scanning previous realised I should.

Convertors are becoming like pre amps and this is okay in one way bad in another.
Do we want a convertor to be transparent?
It goes back to the old DAT thing, peeps said it had more error's than CD so sounded warmer (true don't know, do like DAT's though).

Any high-end convertor which has rock solid power, great analogue insides and good clocking to other devices, should do it's job.

**** convertors like my very old Korg 1212 will soon be known as a warmer (and thats what it did) cause it was ****.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
(I always have to carefully scan Cape's posts to see if it was written by the Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde incarnation. Seems this one is Dr. Jeckyl, so here goes

Cape's post really resonates with me, as the last thing i want to worry about is choosing a color of converter to go with a particular style. Even if it is true, i think i'll just take the "head in the sand" approach for now.

Can it be long before ART and/or Studio Projects releases the Pro-Toob Converter with dial-in toob warming?

No thanks.
πŸ“ Reply