Quantcast
Getting Lo End "GRROWL" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting Lo End "GRROWL"
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Getting Lo End "GRROWL"

There have been other threads dealing with ways to shape the low end, but this one's meant for "growl" shaping. For the meaner rock stuff I do, growl is a sound I'm happy to get when it happens, but I'm not always sure how I got it. The source probably has the most the do with it. I need to pay more attention to which bass and guitar amps around here growl the best. Name some?

Grrrrr - I'll try to define it as a tight bottom end, with attitude and maybe tube distortion (?). Think Mega, especially "Peace Sells". The bass in that song is the sound I'm after. Almost sounds like a subharmonizer was used, but with a narrow bandwidth so it's very defined and not mouddy at all.

At my disposal, the stuff that gets me closest to growl are the Distressors, and the Flamingo with Fat and/or Iron engaged. When I had my 1969, it growled fairly well, but that box was always kinda muddy sounding to me (the Big switch was awesome, tho). I think my other preamps fall a little short in the growl category: Great Riv. MP2H, Vintech 1272, Manley Dual 40db; and I suspect an NV would help a bit.

Share your knowledge on the growl phenomenon. Thanks!
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ha! cool: Mega

Mega
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a mixture of and sometimes all of a mic'd amp (SWR,AmpegSVT) and maybe a DI.
and for some insanely controlled lo end I take the DI into 2 LA2A's chained together then shape the tone with either a GML 8200 or Nuemann W495's.
mix to taste.
sometimes it's all distortion, depending on the arrangment it will blend nicely with the GTRs.
Old 22nd April 2003
Founder

I do think that skill in this area is one of the most desired in a rock n roll engineers skill set.
Old 22nd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Totally. I just finished a project where I was trying to match the low end on some great records and I fell way short of the mark. We were A/Bing to Black Crowes Amorica, Foo Fighters Nothing Left to Lose and Pearl Jam Binaural. No matter what I did I just couldn't get the low end low enough. Subharmonic synths, Pultec and Lang EQ's, Dakings, API 550's etc. Don't get me wrong, the bottom is strong and deep but not quite as thick and pillowly as I was shooting for. I'm not sure where it fell short, it could be the console, maybe it's me and maybe it's a combination. I'm going to say it's the combination.

But, the 1176 is great for adding growl to a bass. Starting with a tube SVT is even better.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I do think that skill in this area is one of the most desired in a rock n roll engineers skill set.
You can say that two times, my brother!

I've generally found that if the amp is distorted just enough to make the bass player nervous, it will give him the actual tone he's looking for in the mix.
πŸ“ Reply