Quantcast
Profools Mix to 2 bus Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Profools Mix to 2 bus Question
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Profools Mix to 2 bus Question

Hey All I've recently upgraded to PT6/HD with 192k & 96k I/O. I've normally BTD in the past but would like to explore mixing back thru my Quad Eight desk in a similar fashion to a D2B. I've had to calibrate my system to -14 because of the 96k I/O fixed calibration. My Questions are this

1. Considering that you have 16 available outputs how do you arrange your stems? I often have 24 or more tracks.

2. If working with material that is 0dbfs how & where do you drop your level to return to analog ie at the bus master, individual tracks or ? ( to avoid overloading desk input)

3. Do you then record back to some other medium @ 0dfs or -14 & then normalize ?

I've been twisting my head around this & could use some advise

thanks for your help blackfoot
Old 23rd April 2003
1)

1 kick (mono)
2 Snare (mono)
3 Rest of kit L
4 Rest of kit R
5 bass (mono)
6 Lvox (mono)
7 GTRS L
8 GTRS R
9 Bvox L
10 Bvox R
11 The rest of the sh!t L
12 The rest of the sh!t R
13 internal PT mixer FX returns L
14 internal PT mixer FX returns R
15 Analog i/o reverb unit L (AMS RMX 16)
16 Analog i/o reverb unit R (AMS RMX 16)

2) Patch output of summing device (in my case a D2B) into a converter / recorder set up to record the mix (I use a Cranesong Hedd & Masterlink combo)- keep an eye on input levels there. - D2B has an output trim pot, between this & controling levels in the DAW the gain stageing isnt too hard at all.

3) Insert a compressor between the D2B and the recorder (BTW recording back to 2 open tracks in PT isnt a problem and will be an economic solution) - use mild compression. Then (important) on a seperate day after a suitable ear break, import the mixes into a PT mastering session and master them, dither and 'maximize' them etc....Or send them to pro mastering if you have the budget (dont mess with the mix at all in this case)
📝 Reply