Quantcast
U87 old versus new - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87 old versus new
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
U87 old versus new

I've got one of the older veriety, ie. the one that takes a battery and has P48 written on the side. I need to get another for a session at the weekend. Can anyone give their impressions re the old and the newer 87Ai, which I believe is now black. Is there much difference?

Cheers,
DW
Old 21st April 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Stephen Paul has indicated in his posts that the "old" one is
superior to the "new" one.
Not being remotely close to his "level" (or most anyone else here, if Stephen says so...

Chris
Old 22nd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
You can get new Nuemann mics in either silver or black, no worrys there. The biggest differance in them is that the 87ai has another 6dB of gain at output and less self noise. Some people think the older ones sound better, some think the newer ones sound better. Whatever. I probably wouldn't try to get away with using a P48 and an Ai version as a stereo pair for anything critical though, maybe overheads or rock & roll room mics on a kit but that's all. I used to do some work at a studio that had 4 U87's, a pair of old ones and a pair of new ones. The new ones sounded identical, the two older ones sounded different from each other and the new ones. I don't know if that helps or not.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Jay, no, I've no intention of using them as a stereo pair. Actually, they are for double basses in an orch so I'm sure the difference won't matter.

DW
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Beech
Thanks Jay, no, I've no intention of using them as a stereo pair. Actually, they are for double basses in an orch so I'm sure the difference won't matter.

DW
I wouldn't use them for that either!

Regards

Roland
Old 23rd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I probably wouldn't use them for that either. Most people use small diaphragm mics like KM84's or whatever.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Beech

DW
Just to clarify what I wrote above, sure you can use U87's effectively on a double bass, along with a whole bunch of other mics, but I guess my comment is more to do with why you would want to mic up the double basses in an orchestra? Even on a lot of scoring sessions where they tend to use many more mics than required, basses are usually the last thing to get spotted. The nature of the sound means that they carry well, and actually sound "fuller" from a distance. hence why with 66-68 string players only 6-8 will be basses.

If you message me off the list with what you are trying to achieve and the type of music/orchestra (number of players, level of musicianship, venue etc), I can possibly give you a couple of pointers.

Regards

Roland
πŸ“ Reply