Bill Laswell: Big Bottom mixes! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bill Laswell: Big Bottom mixes!
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Bill Laswell: Big Bottom mixes!

Hello everyone!

I was listening to some Bill Laswell stuff today and once again I am so excited with his sound - especially with the full bass content of his mixes.

Any ideas on how he achieves such a big bottom sound?

I know he uses flatwound strings and filter pedals...

...but what about mixing techniques?

Thank you in advance for your replies and for your input!
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Big Bottom

I read an interview with him where he said he uses one of those envelope pedals [i.e. DOD FX25 Envelope Filter] on the bass. It's the pedal that can make the bass do a quacking thing. The trick is to turn down the sensitivity knob (no quacking) and barely turn up the range knob. It gives the bass a serious sub-harmonic. It's great! Works especially on slower tempo songs. Not two days after reading that, I came across a used pedal for forty dollars. It really is a great trick.
Old 31st July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Use the Aphex PI called Big Bottom heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thank you for replying.
What about mixing techniques?
There is only one

🎧 15 years
makes the bass prominent in the mix?

good to see other bill laswell fans in there.... definately a strong influence for me, especially the bass end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love Tabla Beat Science. IMHO...Bill Laswell's greatest work to date

Hallucination Engine is pretty good too, and the Lucky Peterson album Black Midnight sun. Bill's doing his sick bass thing to Smokestack Lightning on this one...makes the track!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talamanam Sound Clash DVD, the special feartures lone are worth the $20 I paid for it

Panthalasa... anyone?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Don't be afraid of 60 hz!!! Its a friendly freq for a DI'd pbass with flatwounds! That and a smooth high pass will get you close.... oh and he has flawless technique... his tone is 100% DUB.

Bill is "the man."
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Bill Laswell along with Brain and Buckethead (for Praxis) rehearsed at the studio I work at a couple months ago - amazing hearing them play!!
Old 5th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Any more information?
urumita

🎧 15 years
The Ibanez envelope filter is right there with the rest of them, sick LF distortion.
the sound toys funk filter preset is Nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanstar Zero
Bill Laswell along with Brain and Buckethead (for Praxis) rehearsed at the studio I work at a couple months ago - amazing hearing them play!!
curious. most of the places in town that i think of are pretty small-ish. are you working at a place i'd have heard of?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce
curious. most of the places in town that i think of are pretty small-ish. are you working at a place i'd have heard of?
Well, it was at a small studio. It was at Blue Moon Studio, which I left recently after 1 1/2 years .. I can PM you with details as at why I left if you want them.

I am now going to freelance at a couple places (I worked it out with a couple rooms), and am checking out Refraze in Dayton on Moday.. looks like they have a great live room.

What kind of stuff are you doing in town? Do you have your own setup, or are you working somewhere?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
refraze is a great space. good luck there.

i'll take any other local talk to email/pm instead of on the forum.
Old 28th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I would appreciate any more info about Bill Laswell's mix/production techniques.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another point is great tuned Control Room, not just electronics, You have to be able to control that bass (bottom), at least hear it properly when mixing thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy King
I read an interview with him where he said he uses one of those envelope pedals [i.e. DOD FX25 Envelope Filter] on the bass. It's the pedal that can make the bass do a quacking thing. The trick is to turn down the sensitivity knob (no quacking) and barely turn up the range knob. It gives the bass a serious sub-harmonic. It's great! Works especially on slower tempo songs. Not two days after reading that, I came across a used pedal for forty dollars. It really is a great trick.

hope your right, i just bought one for $30

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I worked on some Bill Laswell tapes, all you needed was on it.

And yeah, it was tapes .

regards
Old 29th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
bill laswell runs his bass through a crossover and only uses the envelope filter pedal on the high end signal. if you run the whole bass through the pedal you will actually have less actual bass and you will not be able to play dub music like that.

he also uses a DBX subharmonic synth on the low output of the crossover. i know nothing more about his bass tone than that. i would assume compression of some kind is involved too.
Old 29th November 2005
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I saw Bill play recently at a tiny performance space in the east village. It was dark but I believe he was using an Ampeg 6x10 with a ton of pedals of all shapes, sizes, and age. I wish I had taken a picture. A lot of distortion and filter pedals, some delays, a whammy, a couple Moogs, 3-4 volume and wah pedals at the end of the chain.

He was just bugging out and improving over some DnB, slamming pedals like a madman and making people sit up straight and look around "thats the bass player???"

It was a beautiful thing.

One of my favorite Laswell produced albums of is Nicky Skopelitis' Ekstasis.

If you're at all into world music, or the ridiculous drumming of Jaki Liebezeit (formerly of Can), I highly recommend it.

Another classic Laswell production in the rock genre is Praxis Transmutation.

Old 29th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart
Another point is great tuned Control Room, not just electronics, You have to be able to control that bass (bottom), at least hear it properly when mixing thumbsup
Boy I am so glad someone said that! I did not want to come off as the "Oh this guy is just trying to sell stuff". But you are so right... Most studio guys can not really hear clear bass/mid bass between 20hz and 400hz due to so many nulls and peaks.. Not to go off or anything, but how can anyone think they are going to mix good bass sound with a 35db peak at 125hz or a null at 250hz??? If you can't hear it then you can't mix it..

Glenn
Old 27th March 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
May I bring this thread back, please?
Thank you!
Old 9th September 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I apologise for bringing this old thead up to the top again but I would greatly appreciate any more information. I hope you don't mind!
Sorry again!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…