http://www.tfpro.com/products/p8info.php

It's suppose to emulate 4 types of compressors:

VCA
GREEN BOX (original JoeMeek SC2)
LA2A

and.... it's RED?!

CTRL C / CTRL V
Quote:
"As a culmination of Ted Fletcher's experience with all manner of compressors, the P8, named 'Edward the Compressor' is a demonstration of the master at work. With the most versatile optical compression circuit ever developed at its heart, the 'Edward' mimics the sound of some industry classics, as well as producing the distictive Ted Fletcher compression sound.

The Edward the Compressor is loaded with secrets of performance of a complete range of volume compressors from the clinical purity of the 21st century VCA/digital compressors, to quirky optical classics. The P8 can be switched to behave like four complete families of compressors.

Further to this unique 'mode' of compression, the Edward is augmented by facilities such as 'Transient release' and a 'Stereo width' control. "

So another one of those "emulation compressors"?!
Old 18th April 2003
Founder

Thats funny, if it's not a joke, it should be a hit, if only because of the name!

Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey man where did you get that sound from ?

Just ask Eddy !!!

It's sure a must have compressor to me!!!
I think he's going to look good under my Fatty!!
nice
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Thats funny, if it's not a joke, it should be a hit, if only because of the name!

So where is the name refering to?
Could U give me a clue?!
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Edward the Great i guess
Or maybe Iron Maiden's Eddy
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'd guess 'Edward the Confessor' - English king, very religious chap in early 11th century, the one before Harold Hadrada (who was beaten in 1066 by William the Conquerer).

What that has to do with compression is beyond me!
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a feeling that Alan Hyatt's lawyers are going to be busy once again. Painting a green box red and adding one more knob may not be enough to keep Ted from getting nailed yet again...
Old 21st April 2003

🎧 15 years
I wonder how you can actually "emulate" something without actually building the exact thing, and I also wonder if UA has copyright on the 1176 and LA2 names ?

Tim
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who cares about a copyright when u can have a compressor with a name like that!!!!.. props to TEd for that one!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
.... Price point?....
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It seems to me that manufacturers in the 'vintage-a-like' game could spare themselves a considerable amount of roasting and ridicule by not claiming to be faithful sonic reproductions. Why not use less specific verbiage like 'a design inspired by' or 'our interpretation of'? I dunno, just a thought.

- jon
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
.... Price point?....
I mailed them the question.
Here's the answer:
Quote:
Jonny Monument from TFPRO:
The P8 is going to be on sale at around the end of May 2003.... so not very long! The price is going to be around Β£599 UK pounds

Quote:
Originally posted by cymatics
It seems to me that manufacturers in the 'vintage-a-like' game could spare themselves a considerable amount of roasting and ridicule by not claiming to be faithful sonic reproductions. Why not use less specific verbiage like 'a design inspired by' or 'our interpretation of'? I dunno, just a thought.

- jon
Jon, I agree with you. These guys say:
Quote:
the 'Edward' mimics the sound of some industry classics
So now it depends on your definition of "mimic"...heh
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
cannot deny the Iron Maiden influence

Or maybe Iron Maiden's Eddy

I think ProFool hit it on the head, the product is obviously an homage to Iron Maiden's deranged crew member.

You gotta wonder if Maiden would ever consider "renting" out Eddy to other bands between tours. Can't you just imagine the buzz among the "downtown" crowd about the latest White Stripes concert where Eddy makes a "surprise" visit onstage, taking it to a whole new ironic level?
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Phlorescent Leech n Eddie....Eddie r u kidding
Old 22nd April 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
"Edward the Compressor" *

* This name is not original: Malcolm Jackson in 1974 at the APRS exhibition in London first used it to describe Ted Fletcher, the designer.

The blurb is at the bottom of the page.
I was thinking more of Eddie Munster!
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They just e-mailed me the answer:
Quote:
Jonny Monument from TFPRO:
The name Edward comes from the man who designed it. His name is Ted Fletcher (ex Joemeek designer) and Ted, in the UK, is short for Edward. "Edward the Confessor" was an English King who lived just before the Norman Invasion of 1066 AD, so we called the unit "Edward the Compressor"

So no dfegad Iron Maiden reference... stike

....I'm curious how this unit is gonne be reviewed.
The 'Transient release' sounds interesting
Old 23rd April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
The guys here in the UK behind the TF Pro brand name are doing what they do best and that is designed high end brilliant sounding gear for real musicians who need great sound.

The "owners" of the "Joemeek" name have only that, the name. If Ted designs a unit and feel confident in his work why sistort it to fit burocrates?

The units were called Promeek, then they had to change that , then they wer made to change the colour. How obvious is it that red is very different to green.

The folks who liked the original green machines will not be disapointed by the red machines and they should support the great design mind of Ted Fletcher. I can't wait to get some units in my stuydio and showroom, I bet they will fly out from alone. Long may he reign!

Cheers
Karl
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting to see how it all plays out.

Each side claims they are the real **** and the other guy is trying to market a load of crap. Personally, I don't have a clue, but it's fun to watch...

I still wonder if just changing the color will be enough legally...

Karl, what's your connection (if any) to Ted?
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by The Buzz
I wonder how you can actually "emulate" something without actually building the exact thing, and I also wonder if UA has copyright on the 1176 and LA2 names ?

Tim
The same way the distressor emulates other compressors. As far as the copywrites, I've wondered the same thing. Notice how the compressorbank stuff is labeled like "LA2Eh?", etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
.... Price point?....
About $1,100 US. At this price, any compressor that has 4 different styles of compression looks apealing, but how does it sound. Time will tell. (I hear they plan shipping in about a month or so).

Quote:
Originally posted by cymatics

- jon
Tell me about it. The terms "like a Pultec, only better" and "While the unit sounds similar to a 1073, the user experiences a larger, more open sound field which is especially helpful if you are storing your audio in the digital domain.." come to mind.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How is Ted Fletcher connected to Joe Meek?
Old 25th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Folks,

littledog

"Karl, what's your connection (if any) to Ted?"

I'm sell & use Joemeek & TF Pro units. And therefore have been aware of the situation concerning the trademark etc.

faeflora

"How is Ted Fletcher connected to Joe Meek?"

Ted actually recorded with Joe Meek at his studios in the 60's. Ted was in a band at the time , also he being a tech head saw the ways and methods that Joe was using. These he later put into his designs, like the opti compressor.

As he says : "If it sounds right it is right!"
Cheers
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So he stole? Or made simmilar designs?

Were his units once green also?

Is he friendly or mr. badman?stike

Is it better than Meek?
Worse?
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hmmm, word on the street around here is that whilst the original Ted Fletcher designs were, on paper at least, viable as a high end product, he cut way too many corners when it came to the actual production of the Joe Meek range.

I must add that I have never really been knocked out by them, particularly the half rack units. It seemed to me that they were trying to market a product to give project studios a little respectability, but was never really intended for the upmarket establishments.
Old 27th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
The designs weren't "stolen", Ted's whole philosophy back in the early 1990s was that he could produce a product that had "that" sound that Joe Meek had.

Most compressors in the 90s and as well as now have VCAs as their main compressor component. Ted knew that compression can also be produced with "light" and opto components, just like Joe Meek had used. Thus producing more character, couple this with digital recorders and you get some warmth back.

My own opinion is that leave the digital recorder out altogether!

I would agree that the Green Joemeek did go a little overboard by trying to please everyone and anyone. Their best units are still the original compressor and the 1st Meekqualiser.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As the owner of Joemeek, let me tell you some of the issues here. All of the new TFPro boxes in Red are not CE certified, nor do they have any Electrical Certification. This is very dangerous, yet Ted Fletcher puts CE on the new TFPRO units, and that is also illegal. If none of this bothers you, then no problem here.

All of Ted’s power supplies are under rated. The secondary windings are weak and cause the units to blow transistors, and chips on a regular basis. Just go to the TFPro site and look at the forum. All they talk about is the problems with Ted’s units. We know from a personal point of view as we have been fixing them for 9 years. The repairs happen more frequently in the USA as a result of the windings, but his units are built cheap, which is why we wanted to change them.

The new TFPRO hyped up mic amp called the "current sense" simply does not work as it is described. It does not adjust its gain when one leg of the input is grounded, it does not match the impedance of the two input legs, so consequently its common-mode rejection is very poor, and it does not adjust its gain or impedance to match the source resistance of the microphone. In fact, it is a very cheap circuit that he used to save money instead of keeping the transformer front ends.

There is tons wrong with the compressors, but I should not make this a bitch thread any more than I already am. The fact is, we own the intellectual and artistic rights to all of Joemeek, and the TFPro is a red copy of them. In fact, inside many of the TFPro units like the P1,, P2, and P3, the PC boards still read Joemeek...so yes, we will be suing them big time. It just takes time for us to get the legal documents in order before our team shuts TFPro down for infringement.

The new Joemeek products will start hitting the streets in 60 to 75 days. We have redesigned all the good stuff back into the boxes that were designed out of them. The products will speak for themselves.

As for Edward the compressor, it is nothing more than a C2 compressor with some EQ to try and sound like other boxes. That is why it is so inexpensive, but if you all want them; buy them now because after we serve them with our lawsuit, they will probably be out of business. If you wish to support TFPro, that is fine, but remember what put them out of business is they were screwing their employee's by not paying in the taxes to the Inland Revenue, and instead, spending that money on their own salaries. So to me, they did a very immoral thing to the employee's. They could not even get unemployment when they got let go because Ted Fletcher did not pay the withheld taxes...yet he did take the withholdings from the employee's, and that is why he is out of business. The Inland Revenue shut him down, and we bought the company.

Like us, hate us...no matter. Ted never did any technical work for Joemeek other than sing on a couple of sessions. He "never" worked with Joe on a technical basis. If you think Ted is the only one out there who can design...think again. There are plenty of products out there that were much better than Ted’s stuff. With Allan Bradford behind the new Joemeek, you will see and hear soon enough what we know. The new Joemeek is killer, and ten times the design Ted could ever hope to come up with.

So, hang in there a bit longer, and let this all play itself out.
Old 30th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Alan Hyatt, ladies and Gentlemen! Make him welcome!

Seriously, without getting into the details of the present contremps, I do have experience wth the corner cutting of some of the Ted Fletcher designs. In fact, my MTA A Range (basic design by Malcolm Toft, with some 'changes' by Ted Fletcher) has been at my techs for the last couple of months. I'm having an outboard PS built, since the internal PS never worked right (and causes hum on one of the channels of the pre). Alan was nice enough to get Ted to draw out what was purported to be a schematic of the A Range PS, except that when my tech looked at it, it didn't actually work...

At this point, I have no problems with the way that either Alan or anyone else at PMI has handled every problem that has come up concerning products that they rep, while the one thing I needed from Ted Fletcher ended up wasting my tech's time (which meant that it wasted MY money).
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you Dave,

By the way, in working with an A Range the other day, we came to notice that Ted did not ground any of the XLR jacks!!! How about that. If you have your tech ground the jacks, you may see a big improvement.

While it is a very simple solution, the reason we did not see it is because who the hell would do a design and "Not" ground the Fu%#ing XLR's!

regards,
Old 30th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
Thank you Dave,

By the way, in working with an A Range the other day, we came to notice that Ted did not ground any of the XLR jacks!!! How about that. If you have your tech ground the jacks, you may see a big improvement.
You know, if this outboard PS mod works, we'll have to talk about getting PMI to offer it to others - maybe that will help defray my cost...
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
You know, if this outboard PS mod works, we'll have to talk about getting PMI to offer it to others - maybe that will help defray my cost...
You know, Malcolm is redoing the "A" Range the right way...The only issue was do we do the old mic amps as well, or update them. The old ones used this huge Iron Core Transformer, and we found the guy that used to build them for Malcolm. We can make the exact same one again if we choose...
Old 1st May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
You know, Malcolm is redoing the "A" Range the right way...The only issue was do we do the old mic amps as well, or update them. The old ones used this huge Iron Core Transformer, and we found the guy that used to build them for Malcolm. We can make the exact same one again if we choose...
I'd say go for the old tranny and do 'em the way they were - the MTA version had an 'updated' mic amp...
πŸ“ Reply