Edward the Compressor - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Edward the Compressor
Old 26th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
So, what happened 2 1/2 years later.

Joemeek products (PMI) are already recognized sonic BS in full sense of the word. Low price slightly justify the mediocre sound. Sorry, but it's crap.

TFPro (Ted) improves. P10 and P38 being good proof.

Ted should sit in jail already?
Went bankrupt?
Hung himself?
Old 26th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It seems he's doing quite well..

http://www.tfpro.com/home/index.php
Old 27th November 2005 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I, for one am NOT going to buy stuff from a fraud, and a guy that treats his employees like ****. If people do that, they are likely to treat me the same.
Manufacturers don't have to be saints. That is not their job, but crooks? Nah.

How much of this thread is actually true? Seems TF doesn't really object?
And yeah how is that?? TFpro stuff is in the UP, and Joemeek in the DOWN.
Did Joemeek as a company go for the "home recording market"? Most likely. I have an old Joemeek unit, and I'm happy with it after 7 years. Not really hitech, but lotsa balls. So what is the story behind the story guys?
how is the support, and build quality on these things? (TFpro or Joemeek)
Is TFpro still cutting corners? BTW the front panel of the TFpro is the same stuff as SMpro. I tried their passive monitor controller. And the thing is only resembling the original sound when in the "10" position. So it is no good. I wonder, is there a connection here between companies?

Lucey likes the P38. (this same sentence keeps popping up on this board )
Old 28th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I still think the way that the Sintefex FX8000 and Focusrites Liquid Channel come closer than actually stealing a patent of an analogue circuit. These things kick for the $$$!
Old 29th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi Reptil,

No, no connection at all with SMPro......

TFPRO is just a few guys who used to work for the old company. the gear is a little bigger and heavier; the business has changed so much, there's no point in trying to compete with Chinese produced equipment, so we concentrate on solid quality and good physics, even if it does cost a little more.... and happily, a lot of the best engineers and producers agree with me.
It's amusing to read over the old thread going back nearly three years....

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi Ted,
thanks for taking the time to respond to threads like this. Don't know about your business, but I really hope you got the employee and licence thing right, and your business is proper. Call me old-fashioned but those things really count. Mud slinging contests between competitors are not nice, and really don't help anyone, if it is just mud, so I think it is a good thing you respond. To put things straight. Even if I'm not famous (yet heh), every opinion counts!

Ok, as for the product: I'm looking for a two buss machine, and your P38 is marketed as such. So if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few things about it:

I understand, the P38 is a dynamics processor, based on a modern, fast opto cell circuit. This circuit is fast enough to run the machine as a mastering compressor/limiter, catching peaks.
Q: How fast is it? Can it do 6 db GR without obvious artefacts? Will it limit evenly, across the frequency spectrum?
Q: What is that soft clip? Is it connected to the opto cell, or is it a separate circuit, like the one in my fireface?

The opto cell circuit is obviously connected to an envelope circuit. (You call this an "electronic bridge" circuit.) I'm not a tech but this is used to mimic other compressor behaviour, by using different transient attack and release. (It doesn't matter to me what type of units it mimics, because it is IMHO never exactly the same, but versitillity is, of course, very useful, because of a lot of different jobs.)
Q: What can I expect? Is there a difference between settings, like other compressors like the API 2500, which can do both look forward and backward? Or is this something else entirely? Please elaborate. This P38 concept is unique as I get it, so I'm curious.
Q: Is there a sidechain access at the back of the unit? (I am a big fan of sidechain use, if only a "big" switch (like in a DAV Bg4 or Drawmer 1968))
Q: Is there a difference in the relation between the response to the frequency content of the audio material, and the different settings of the "electronic bridge"? Iow; for instance if I have a bass heavy mix, will the P38 behave differently in different settings?

I think you made a unique unit also because it is in fact a M/S dynamics unit.
Q: How is the quality of the M/S encoding and decoding? Is it average like the Focusrite Mixmaster, or excellent like an old Neumann that I use? I understand there can be some phase issues and I want to know, if you solved those.
Q: Is there any way of "tapping" into the encoded signal, by means of an insert, and use for instance some eq in the M/S Domain? This way your P38 could also be used as a M/S decoder and encoder. That would be really cool, as it will save me some precious channels, and would considerably make the mastering chain more simple. Is there a mod possible? I could supply some transformers. (clean NTPs)

The sound is in the transformers. Or sometimes it isn't. (Like in my NTP 179-400 limiters). You use custom wound input transformers, for low noise specs. Outputs, I guess are balanced electronically? Can't find that info anywhere. I did read; it is possible to use unbalanced signals.
Q: what are the in and outputs on the back of the unit? XLR and TS jack?

Ok, build quality: This is a professional unit so I hope you don't mind some questions about that. There were some issues raised in this thread before. I don't care about anodised engraved 5 mm thick aluminium front panels, but about the reliabillity of the unit.
Q: Pots. How are the pots supported in this unit? are the PCB boards on which the pots are attached, supported, or are the PCB boards supported by the pots?
Q: PSU. What kind of PSU? Switched or torrodial? Not that I'm saying that switched is bad: My fireface and DAV Bg1 are fine, my Mackie PA and some of my LCD screens are not. Their PSU started to eminate a buzzing sound, after running them for some time. Power?
Q: General build quality? Do you mind posting some pictures of the unit, or preferrably, the unit's innards, here or on your site? Untill now I only have seen one small shot of the front in Lucey's studio. Hazy rendered pictures don't inspire confidence.
Q: Warrantee and service? What happens if it breaks down after the warrantee period? Will you repair the machine?

I'm really busy right now, but I am really intrigued by the TFPro P38, so I could take time off to listen to your machine.
Q: Is there any chance of auditioning the unit from the dutch importer? What is the policy, or should I ask them?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply!
Cheers,
Reptil

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
sorry about the number of questions..
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Crickets

No answer post from Ted is disappointing, however Ted has been very responsive on his own forum...here's a link.
http://www.tfpro.com/phpbb/index.php

Last edited by jrakarl; 24th March 2014 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Proving link
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl ➑️
No answer post from Ted is disappointing.
It's a 10 year old thread, and these have been out of production now for some time.

I'm sure Ted would reply to an enquiry via email directly to him but bear in mind he no longer makes any rackmount audio hardware.
πŸ“ Reply