Quantcast
OK I figured it out, pop Punk Rock has become the new Doo Wop. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OK I figured it out, pop Punk Rock has become the new Doo Wop.
Old 17th April 2003
OK I figured it out, pop Punk Rock has become the new Doo Wop.

I mean, COME ON!

Who the hell ever thought, the Sex Pistols, The Ramones & the New York Dolls would ever have spawned such a durable genre?

Punk Rock

There aren't any obvious cultural links with Doo Wop but it has a simple formula, humerous lyrics, and has a bubble gum 'sing along' quality.

And shows no signs of leaving anytime soon.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules, I think about the Ramones and how 'pop' they were. Great simple songs that are very singable.

Heck, Phill Spector produced 'End of the Century.'

They seemed so radical, back in the day.

My favorite Doo Wop album - Ruben and the Jets. (aka F.Z.)

heh
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is really just the fault of Green Day.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree.. somewhere in the deep and adark recesses of a major record company they come up with these bands/artists..

Having said that i saw SUM41 at a local festival here in Melbourne last yr and whilst i am not a great fan or advocate of their songs they are pretty damn catchy and gee they were ****ing tight as live .. prolly more so than a virgin on prom nite!.. i havent seen a band that tight in ages.. so i guess its all true and they do have the hallmarks of what Jules was on about.

I must admit i do take the effort to tune into their new songs when i see them on cable or hear them on radio. Thier new one with the clip of the dolls is VERY funny nad original and prolly cos them nothing to make, so props to them for that one! cos thats one surefire way to piss away ur advance by making videos!

PEACE
Wiggy.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Donnas RULE!
Old 18th April 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
No, Jules. Not doo-wop. Barbershop quartet.
Old 18th April 2003
Yes perhaps... there are often 'allegiance to our school" barbershop style corny melodies buried in modern punk pop.

A lot of the lyric & melody intentionally evokes feelings of nostalgia... trouble is have you ever heard teenagers nostalgically discussing their short lives ...

"Remember the 3rd grade"? grudge YAWN! - all VERY dull..

Oh well all part of growing up, and there will always be bands attempting to float money out of kids wallets!
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Donnas RULE!
You might also give Sahara Hot Nights a try. You won't be disappointed

Dan-O
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Can you imagine what the currect generation's oldies will be?
...scary, scary thought.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow........... them Donna's are a bunch of damn sexy ladies.... and gee did i mention they ROCK!!! They are touring in May in Australia an dim gona be there with bells on.. with a spitoon for my drool!

Sahara Hotnights are doing a Datsuns support as well so im sure as hell gona be chcking them out too....

Man too much rock action in M-town (Melbourne) and lotsa nice girly rock bands too! bring the rock on!!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 20th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Re: OK I figured it out, pop Punk Rock has become the new Doo Wop.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Who the hell ever thought, the Sex Pistols, The Ramones & the New York Dolls would ever have spawned such a durable genre?

Punk Rock
Well, the Sex Pistols are really a rock band that had a punk image. And the Ramones are pop-punk that wasn't quite pop enough. Don't get me wrong though, I love 'em both but they aren't punk.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules,

You have to check out the Le Tigre track "Decepticon" the DFA Remix. It's on their "Remix 12" ep on CD and wax.

stike stike
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Ramones certainly showed their doo-wop heritage for the world to see. They knew exactly where they fit in to the big picture, amazing.

Johnny Ramone's guitar work was the reference for the whole circa 1980 San Francisco punk rock scene, and the biting social commentary type lyrics are the sine qua non of punk rock as far as I am concerned, being very much a child of the ca. 1980 SF scene. Humor was essential, even in the angriest rants. Unfortunately it all turned into one big beer commercial before very long.

Grunge seemed to me like punk rock without the chops, and without the political/social agenda. Not a lot left of value... of course there were exceptions, but the overall scene I witnessed was pretty fluff. The Ramones could have written a marvelous parody of it... and did, long before it was top 40...

"Sheena is a punk punk, a punk rocker noowww..."
Old 20th April 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Since I really DO sing barbershop, maybe it's time to
grab three other guys and start a punk band that'll
race up the charts with hits like "Tin Pan Alley Calling",
and the four part harmony cover of "Anarchy In The UK".

Chris

P.S. I usually listen to something like "Back In Black"
on the way to my chapter meeting to balance out...
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sahara Hotnights are doing a Datsuns support as well so im sure as hell gona be chcking them out too....
Quite a show you got there. The Datsuns record is a fine piece of Rock if I do say so my self. My I also suggest the D4 record. Plenty of Rock to had there as well.

As much as I love the Donnas, I believe Sahara Hotnights to be a bit better all around IMHO. Much better looking as well. I believe the singer dates on of the Hives if I'm not mistaken.
πŸ“ Reply