Quantcast
Preamps that i'm intersted in - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamps that i'm intersted in
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Preamps that i'm intersted in

towards the end of the summer, i'll be recieving a bit of money. I want to spend it on some good recording equipment.

I have some nice mics and a decent preamp right now, but i want a killer stereo preamp.

I've been looking at these options

pair of Millinnea Twin Topology's
pair of Vipre's
pair of Avalon M5's
Langavin DVC

i like the idea that i can change from clean solidstate to coloured tube sound with the millenia, and the fact that it and the langavin have eq's and compressors built in is excellent since i don't have any great compressors.

The vipre is very cool for its tone shaping capabilities
and the avalon is an excellent very clean pre.

I'm wondering if i can get the best of both the avalong and the vipre by getting the millennia.

This is the current list of gear that i use
Pair of schoeps cmc5, mk4, mk2
pair of shure ksm32's
pair of AEA R84 ribbon mics
various dynamics

Ward beck 460 preamp/eq

Thanks for your thoughts in advance
Marshall
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know, but I'm interested in both the millenia and vipre so I'd be happy to hear some feedback on this. Why don't you ask Millenia if you can get a demo twin topology?
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, as a disclaimer before you read my post, I used to work for Millennia while I was in High School. I would like to say that I am not biased towards their gear, but the people there are so dang cool AND the gear is exceptional, so I gotta chime in...

Anyway, I have also used their gear in a pro studio environment as I engineer at a SB, Ca studio. We are currently demoing an 8 channel mic pre, a two channel EQ, and an Origin (which is what I believe you are interested in).

I used the Origin very recently for a lead vocal track with a Tele U47 and it rocked. Using the solid state pre, the xformer, and about 3-6db compression the band *loved* the vocal sound we were getting. It took us about 5 minutes to try out the tube topology as well as the non-xformer coupled input and they didn't work for us compared to the other options. Think how long it would take to patch and gain-match to compare the two topologies even if you had the extra gear to try out. Anyway, in that case, it worked great.

I also used the DI input while tracking the bass for a major record label release. The majority of the tracks had been already tracked to PT at a major LA studio and we were just redoing the bass on one song. Anyway, just a quick setup with the Origin and the bass track was rocking. Used the EQ to take out a little low mid, 6-8 db compression and it sounded very good. Then we compared our bass sound to the original bass sound on the record. Ours kicked it's ass. This is not just my opinion but also that of the band.

Ok, that's my spiel. It prolly sounds like an ad, but it's hard not to cause the gear ****ing rocks. I would suggest you call them up and see if you can get a demo and try one out.

Ian
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it was me it would be the VIPREs without hesitation. It would be like getting a whole new mic cabinet at the same time.
Old 18th April 2003
Founder

What is the recording medium?
Old 18th April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Re: Preamps that i'm intersted in

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Simmon
pair of Vipre's
Langavin DVC
Well golly... those are two ends of the financial spectrum...
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Preamps that i'm intersted in

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Well golly... those are two ends of the financial spectrum...
So what?

Smartass...

R.
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the responses..

Yes, i know the range of prices is quite varied, but i have heard excellent things about the dvc.

I know that the Vipre is a killer pre, i just don't have any quality compressors or eq's and i was trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.

i've often thought about getting one millennia and one vipre, but then i loose stereo recording ability.

i also realize that i'm at the pricepoint where i could almost afford a Manley SLAM.

My biggest thing is if i don't have to spend 6k for a unit (or two) and 2-3k will get me 99percent there, then i'm happy.

Or maybe i should completely forget about something with eq and comp, and continue doing that inside the computer (nuendo with waves platinum)

i just don't know what my most significant gain would be at this point.... Thats probably my real question.

Marshall
Old 19th April 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I'd look seriously at the Cranesong Spider and I'd get a Benchmark DAC-1 so you can hear what's really going on with eq. and compression in Nuendo.

My experience has been that the right mikes, the right preamps and the right converters will make the biggest difference in the final product.
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thats what i needed to hear.

So what i'll do is stop looking for something that has eq and comps and go for a couple of good converters and a couple pres...

I completely forgot about cranesong... I love the idea of the spider, but i don't want preamps that sound the same, even if they are all high quality....

cransong flamingo (clean and coloured solid state)

and the great rivers mercenary edition?

do they sound different enough to warrant getting both? i would honestly like polar opposites

Marshall
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
cransong flamingo (clean and coloured solid state)

and the great rivers mercenary edition?

do they sound different enough to warrant getting both? i would honestly like polar opposites
They are quite different (and top shelf) preamps, but that doesn't mean they aren't somewhat interchangeable either. Between the two you will have your fundamental bases covered 100% of the time IMO. Neither one will get extremely "grungey" though (that's a good thing in my book). Go for great hi fidelity sound and sonic quality first and foremost, then later on it's easy to add as much color (aka muck it up) in post in the analog or digital realm.
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Nathan, how about the old school audio pre's?. I know you have been touting them quite a bit, but how do they stand up against the great rivers or the cranesong? Specifically "the mutant" pre.

Also, with my current list of microphones, is there any glaring hole in my collection?
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nathan, how about the old school audio pre's?. I know you have been touting them quite a bit, but how do they stand up against the great rivers or the cranesong? Specifically "the mutant" pre.
The Mutant (MP1-L) is equivalent in quality to those two mentioned above. Once you get into the higher end of the gear market, it starts to become subjective. It's like cooking, you don't want salt when you need sugar (makes for a really bad sangria anyway). But when you are starting out, if you get the fundamentals, you'll be fine. I consider the Great River, Crane Song, and OSA all part of a balanced rack among others.

Quote:

Also, with my current list of microphones, is there any glaring hole in my collection?
Here is what you have:

This is the current list of gear that i use
Pair of schoeps cmc5, mk4, mk2
pair of shure ksm32's
pair of AEA R84 ribbon mics
various dynamics

Looks like you have a nice selection of small diaphram condensers, the ribbons are covered, dynamics okay...personally I think the large diaphram condenser department is lacking, but that could just be my personal preference. At least one really great vocal microphone at a mininmum, maybe something from Soundelux or Brauner? If you don't have the quality preamps though that's more important from my experience considering what you currently have.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I completely forgot about cranesong... I love the idea of the spider, but i don't want preamps that sound the same, even if they are all high quality....
Personally speaking, I find that with the Fat and Tape controls considered, the Spider is capable of many different 'Flavors'...

YMMV
Old 21st April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, i know the range of prices is quite varied, but i have heard excellent things about the dvc.
Quote:
I know that the Vipre is a killer pre, i just don't have any quality compressors or eq's and i was trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.
The Pendulum Audio "Quartet can get you about 90% of the way there... the pre isn't as versatile as the pre in the Vipre... but the EQ and compression are serious tools that can net you a very versatile, very high quality signal path for not that much more money than a single 'Vipre'.

Quote:
I've often thought about getting one millennia and one vipre, but then i loose stereo recording ability.
No you wouldn't... you'd just have different paths that created the 'stereo image'. Stereo recording is making a 'stereo' capture of a sound... this doesn't necessarily mean that the mics nor the signal paths have to be identical... it's more about 'mic placement' than anything else.

Often the differences in equipment selection can lead to a far more interesting stereo image/presentation of the sound than using like equipment for the same purpose.

Quote:
I also realize that i'm at the pricepoint where i could almost afford a Manley SLAM.
Then it too may be a viable option to achieve your goals...

Quote:
My biggest thing is if i don't have to spend 6k for a unit (or two) and 2-3k will get me 99percent there, then i'm happy.
OK... at least you're really starting to define the parameters from which you can make an intelligent decision.

Quote:
Or maybe i should completely forget about something with eq and comp, and continue doing that inside the computer (nuendo with waves platinum)
EEeeeyyaaaahhhh....ooooo.... uhhhh... maybe... but at this point in what I've heard of 'plug in/software' development... there still ain't nothin' like the real thing baby...

Quote:
i just don't know what my most significant gain would be at this point.... Thats probably my real question.
That my friend is indeed the $64,000 question... and unfortunately, one that only you can answer. You're going to have to go down the path of experimentation... you're going to really have to define how it is you like to work, and define the goals which you endeavor to achieve.

Once you have these definitions... then, and only then will you be able to intelligently add equipment to your arsenal that will be of complete assistance to your ability to attain those goals.

Best of luck with it!!!!!!!
Old 21st April 2003
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
http://www.requisiteaudio.com/rpres.html#Pre-Amps
The requisite is a really nice unit for stereo recording.
Well worth a listen.
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No you wouldn't... you'd just have different paths that created the 'stereo image'. Stereo recording is making a 'stereo' capture of a sound... this doesn't necessarily mean that the mics nor the signal paths have to be identical... it's more about 'mic placement' than anything else.

This is totally new to me! I always figured that the image would be skewed, or that the summing to mono would be comprimied with that technique. I'm going to have to do some experementing.

I will definitely check out the Quartet.
Thanks Fletcher and everyone else who has been helping me out

Marshall
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is totally new to me! I always figured that the image would be skewed, or that the summing to mono would be comprimied with that technique. I'm going to have to do some experementing.
If you're capturing the stereo image of a drumkit or a choir with a pair of overheads, you should use the same preamp for each channel. Your hunch is right - it will sound skewed and wrong and it will bug the **** out of you.

But if it's 2 different mics on two speaker cones of a guitar amp, go nuts. The blending of the 2 channels will likely complement one another.

Just my experience,

Kato
πŸ“ Reply