Quantcast
Opinions of the Earthworks Pre's? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions of the Earthworks Pre's?
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Opinions of the Earthworks Pre's?

Don't hear too much about the 101 or the 102 and was looking for input. Any opinions or comparisons to maybe Grace, Sytek, or even John Hardy?

Any information is appreciated.

Jason A
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If they're anything like the mics- they're probably very accurate and absolutely kick ass. I love my fleet of Earthworks- and my SR69 is my vocal mic of choice for my own voice in any situation.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a 1024 for classical (location) recording and it does a great job. In the studio (for rock, jazz, etc.) I usually prefer preamps with a more obvious character, like Vipres & Flamingos. If you like Grace & GML preamps, you'll find the Earthworks very much in the same vein.

Scott
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a 102 and it's great. I love it paired with my TC30s. Match made in heaven... Or a factory
Old 17th April 2003
Founder

My classical chums love theirs.

they use it as MAIN PAIR on big band dates..

Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You really can't go wrong with the Earthworks stuff, If pure clarity is what you're looking for--however, don't mistake that for boring.

But to answer your question the 1022pres are the cleanest things I've heard, they're great for everything from measurement(room tuning), classical, piano, and acoustic guitar recording.
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I absolutely adore my 102. It's totally clean, and yet it's still warm and musical- Never harsh. I've plugged in all sorts of mics with good results, but EW mics create a magic all their own in this pre, especially the QTCs and SR77's.
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Killahurts
I absolutely adore my 102. It's totally clean, and yet it's still warm and musical- Never harsh. I've plugged in all sorts of mics with good results, but EW mics create a magic all their own in this pre, especially the QTCs and SR77's.
I second that, I'm a HUGE fan of the QTC1's. Have you tried a matched pair in XY config? I know that sounds strange being an omni, but if you haven't, TRY IT at about (not too close, but close) mid distance, in a good sounding room, on something like a guitar or piano. Its amazing! You get this very intimate sound with great natural ambience. Cool stuffheh
πŸ“ Reply