Vintech Dual 1272 disappointments? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech Dual 1272 disappointments?
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Vintech Dual 1272 disappointments?

Hi all,
Ive been considering this pre as a guitar, drum, and possibly vocal pre. I've heard and read a lot of great things about it. Everyone seems to like it. However, when I ran a search on the GS forums there were so many that had been resold on the secondhand page. What is the reason for this? Any beef with the Vintech Dual 1272? How do you like it compared to other 1272s? Thanks for the input.

Brandon
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the Vintech for a few years, it was my first "real" mic pre. I used it on drum
overheads, acoustic guitar, electric guitar & vox. I thought it was okay, not
inspirational. A few months ago ,on a whim, I bought the Universal Audio M610.
Most of the people around here seem to hate it. I think it sounds really great on
dirty/crunchy guitars and also really good as a bass d.i., alot better than the Vintech.
I'm not convinced yet on vocals and acoustics, but still better than the Vintech.
The Vintech was on the dark side and kinda dead sounding, for lack of a better
description.
Old 23rd July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's ok...

I'd guess a lot of people went over to SevethCirlceAudio stuff. Its cheaper and also has the third gain stage.

Neve never designed a two gain stage stage mic preamp. The Vinny Dual 72 (and the original Neve 1272 which was designed as a summing amp i believe) only have two gain stages. 7thCircleAudio on the other hand added another gain stage making it more along the lines of original 3 stage designs al la 1066/1073/1081, etc...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I had one for about a year and didn't really find it useful on anything except electric guitars and even then it was beaten by an API and Manley on occasion. It was way too gungy and coloured (in a bad way) for vox or any acoustic instrument IMHO. I didn't really love it on drums either, ok on kick but just too indistinct for snares (at least when miced with a dynamic). The DI on the VIntech was nice enough on bass.

I sold mine and bought a Manley dual mono pre and love it, really flexible. It seems like there are lots of other options on the market. If I was buying a pre to cover the Vintechs ground it would be an API 3124 or a small lunchbox,

cheers,
Ruairi
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been looking at the Vintech too as well as some of the 9098s which seem to generally be disliked here.

So, would the portico be a more exciting option in that price range for a Neve sound?

- proxy
Lives for gear

Hands down the best deal in top of the line mic preamps now in my eyes....

SCA

I had a Vintech 1272 for a few years, never had a chance to put it through it paces on a bunch of stuff but it was okay for the most part on the things I did try it on.

I sold it for other stuff and don't really miss it.

If you are looking for the 1272 sound then I think the SCA stuff is the right way to go. I don't have an N72 from SCA but I have a rack of A12's that are amazing, really really good sounding and if the N72 is anything like it in quality (and I hear it is) then I would really look into it if I were you.

Michael Wagner on the High End forum took them for a test drive afew weeks back. He actually chose the A12 over his vintage 512 API's for a drum track and the N72 for a lead vocal over all his other pres and that man has some gear to choose from.

As always YMM and probably WV.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
imho theres nothing wrong with the vintech 72 or the 9098 dma .
they are what they are . i am not fighting for em in fact of i own em .
but they are useable imho and i am pretty satisfied with em .

in fact of pres are " collectable " tools , its ok as far as i am concerned having some different colours to choose from .

and if you look at their prices , the 72 and 9098 arent cheap but they prolly are not considered " HIGH END " .
if your bank account is loaded and you dont have to worry about spending 4ks for two pres you prolly pick something else ? ( but what the hell can you do with 2 pres ? heh )

only thing ive tried thats overhyped imho are the focusrite reds .

all the rest is up tp you
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Same experience here..but with the 473 , which is also only the 2 gain stages which is funny because Vintech's hype is tha it's supposedly 4 1073[3 stages] style pre's in one box.[opened it up and had a looksie].
they worked ok for a lot of stuff ..keys DI,Toms,etc.
They didn't not however,hold a candle to the real 1073's.
The Chandler LTD 1's and the BAE repros seem to be the only ones to me with the "N" mojo. others swear by the Sheps modules...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
It's just snobbery. The Vintech stuff is fine for what it is. I enjoy it on kick and some guitars. I have other preamps I like better. I think a lot of companies shoot themselves in the foot by claiming to sound like a Neve, API, etc. They should just make a product and let it stand on its own. In that respect, the 1272 is a fair preamp. Worth the 950.00 I spent on it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
bought one.....sold it......bought a brent averill.......
Old 24th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed
It's just snobbery.
with respect dude it's not snobbery. My post stems from using the pre a couple of days a week for the year that I owned it. That said I sold it to 5down1up (Hi Kai) and he's happy with it so to each his own.

As for the AMEK stuff, I owned a 9098 DMA for years and sold it to fund some other purchases but will pick one up again soon, they are way underrated IMO, but what do I know. I use all sorts of uncool stuff like AKG 414s etc,

cheers,
Ruairi
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I own the Vintech 1272 and use it quite a bit. I like it alot for bass. It's also great for taming the edginess on harsh and thin vocalists. Also nice on toms, and heavy el gtrs if you like them thick and beefy. Which, of course, can be construed as indistinct and muddy by others.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My V72 see's toms 98-99.5% of the time these days. I've had it for 3-4 years now and have always found it to have a strange unpredictable low-mid/low end. It's very fussy about mic selection too and that has a good deal to do with it. High out put condensers don't fair well for example, IMO. It's a useable pre but not a meat and potato's goto piece for me at least. I need to give SCA stuff a try one of these days.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the vintech 1272 and my ex wife!!!!

hello... i had one for a few months... the pre did nothing for me. i was expecting much more. very bland. here are some other options for you. 1. you can buy two used joe meek VC1 or VC1Q pres for the same price (just don not buy the CS models. very different.) the meeks are a bit dark, but what a beefy tone and i love the killer compressor!!! 2. you can buy a used focusrite RED series dual ch. for about a thousand on ebay, that is if you dig the focusrite sound. i really like that hyped top on focusrite red and isa stuff, there really is nothing else like it. and 3. the NEVE PORTICO is obviously a perfect choice for any source. what a sound! don't let the size fool you. if you close your eyes, you'd swear the box was as big as my ex wifes butt. for those of you who have never met my ex wife ( there's gotta be at least a few out there), take my word for it. and i mean that comparison in the best possible way.
now... i own all the pres i've listed above as well as several other millennias, summits, api, etc etc etc. i really believe these are some good alternatives for you. enjoy!
Old 25th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey there Ruairi

hope your doing good , bro ... cya later
πŸ“ Reply