Quantcast
calibrating 888/24, Mytek.....advice for first timer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
calibrating 888/24, Mytek.....advice for first timer?
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
calibrating 888/24, Mytek.....advice for first timer?

Ok I admit it. I've been working on this rig for a year now and have never taken the time, nor do I know where to start to calibrate the ins and outs of the system(aside from finding the cal screws..)

we're firing up the new improved system in the new studio today and I'd like to get everything sorted out. The system was last calibrated by the company that sold 'em the rig.

So, we've got:

control 24/ 16 mic pre's
ISA 110's x 2
ua 2-610
vintech 1272
Millenia 8ch (hd3?)
avalon 737
Midas 160

all the above and a dozen or so out board pieces, all comming up at a TT Patch bay

interfaces:
Mytek 8/96 a/d (recently added)
888/24 x2
adat Bridge
DAC-1 (recently added)

all comming up at the patch bay.

Where to start? there arent any tones gernerated by the console....I imagine there's a plug in generator somewhere.....
someone care to talk me through this.....? the DIGI manual covers a bit but I'm sure some of you folks have another slant on the process.

thanks,
Old 14th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Someone can probably explain this with more brevity than I can, but I'll give it a crack. The best way to cal the Mytek is:

1. Have the Mytek in the same room with you! Close enough to the monitor that you can see the peak adjustment changing for each channel in Pro Tools. Unless you have an IMAX projector, them lil' peak indicators are a bitch if you have to run back and forth from say, a machine room to the screen. Especially if you have many channels... glad I moved the Mytek inside with me.. anyhoo, back to the topic.

2. I'll take a small hop of faith and assume you have the Signal Generator plug-in in PT. Decide how much headroom below 0 you want to cal everything to. I'm running at -15dbFS because I do mostly rock and don't need a great deal of headroom because most of the tracks are gonna be pumped up anyway. Go to Preferences and set the digital output reference in PT to your chosen reference level.

Set Sig. Gen. to 1000hz, and the output level to the digital reference level you picked. Turn off your monitors. Why listen to 1000hz whine for the next half hour or more? And if you **** up, your monitors will never know it.

3. Here's a very important equation in the process: 1.225V = 0dbFS at +4db professional level. Hopefully, you've got a little voltometer handy. If not, the $20 digital one from Rat Shack will do fine.

Measure the voltage at pins 2 and 3 on the Mytek's the XLR outputs by touching the metal ends of the voltometer 'pencils' to those pins. If you don't mind sacrificing the metal pencils at the end of the voltometer wires, I highly recommend soldering an XLR female, shell and all, onto the wires. If you do this - sounds obvious - but make sure you solder them to pins 2 and 3 of the XLRF. The sacrifice will hardly seem like one when you use the connector every time you need to check your calibration.

Take your lil' tiny screwdriver and adjust the output trim screw until your voltometer reads 1.225V or as close at it will stay with stability. Once you've done all 8 channels, move onto to step 4.

4. Connect all DA outs to all AD ins. Set every channel in PT to show peak level. Adjust the AD input screws on each channel until the reference level you chose shows up.

5. Figure out how you can sell off your 888's and buy more Myteks. heh You might not need your DAC-1 if you have some Mytek DA, unless you need the volume control.

You're done. Save the session so you don't have to rebuild the template whenever you want to calibrate. You can use the Digi cal method from the manual (even for the Myteks), but I find it rather cumbersome and it doesn't account for referencing 0dbFS to 1.225V. Instead, they assume that they got it right at the factory.

Hope this helps and congrats on getting your studio in shape already!
Old 14th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oops. You don't have Mytek DA. Doesn't matter, use the 888 for that part. Oh yeah, you might wanna check my post again. I added a couple points while you were still browsing this part of the forum.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks alot Jax! Great idea on the volt meter.
really glad we went with the Mytek. We'll have to lmp along with the 888's for another year or wo at which point we'll look into PT6 and maybe HD.

The Mytek is a nice step up for us.....Now I need to find some kinda Preamp/converter, two channel, that will feed our 882 in the B room for overdubs n stuff.(spdif) Maybe they have something in the works..
Old 17th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad to help, cajonezz. IIRC, Mytek does have a 2 ch. converter (aside from the DSD one they just built), but no preamps aboard.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If anyone's interested, I think that there's two 2 channel 20 bit Myteks on ebay now. I'm not the seller.
πŸ“ Reply