Quantcast
L1 instead of LA-2A as vocal levelor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
L1 instead of LA-2A as vocal levelor
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
L1 instead of LA-2A as vocal levelor

any of you guys use L1 as vocal levelor? LA-2A seems to be pretty standard but I dont buy a new plugin if I can do it with the waves...

what do you think?
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The L1 is going to degrade the sound, but it will do things dynamically that the La-2a cannot do. It will keep the vocals 'in place' to the extreme...whether this is a good thing or not is subject to debate. Personally the only time I use brickwall digital compressors on vocals is for special effect, and is usually coupled with the 'high cut low cut' filtered effect.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas
any of you guys use L1 as vocal levelor? LA-2A seems to be pretty standard but I dont buy a new plugin if I can do it with the waves...

what do you think?
Dave Pensado(an uber engineer) loves it at the end of the vocal chain, even called it a classic in the making. I've never tried it personally I usually go with my UAD-1 La2al. I'm definitly going to now since you reminded me that one of the greats likes it.
Old 20th July 2005 | Show parent
Founder

I think L1 can give you that - extreme, never let up - in your face - 'leaf blower' R&B pop sound ala Christina A, & Brittany...or that - 'vocalist as a kazoo' Audio Slave rock vocal sound.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
L1 is standard on my vocal chain . I like the UAD LA2A (TDM) on some types of vocals (though the L1 would still be last in the chain).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Almost hate to admit it, but I've been using Digi's very own Maxim at the end of my vocal chain for that relentless in your face vibe for some time now. Seems to do the trick
TommyD
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
vocalist as a kazoo reminds me of:

Whole lotta Love (Realplayer)

To add something useful to this thread: L1 on acoustic- or pick-guitar IS DA bomb!
Old 21st July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well I just tried the L1 at the end of my chain and it didn't work for me cuz my vocals are usually 'hard sounding'(probably cuz of the ****ty vocal booth) and the L1 accentuates that while the La2a seems to smooth it out a bit. So IMHO for 'soft' vocals (not meaning volume) L1 would be cool for hard sounding La2a is a better choice...YMMV
There is only one

🎧 15 years
just use a rennvox.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 'leaf blower' thing is funny. I use the UA Precision Limiter on all kinds of 'rawk' stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
Almost hate to admit it, but I've been using Digi's very own Maxim at the end of my vocal chain for that relentless in your face vibe for some time now. Seems to do the trick
TommyD

I have to admit that I used to use Maxim for lots of stuff; I don't know why it's so damn noisy, though. Try this: put maxim on a stereo track, input some audio to one side and listen to the other. Weird. Kind of inexcusable for something they sell for $$$. I got it free with 002 tho.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For the in your face vocal sound I like to chain two compressors and do about 10db with each. To me its denser sounding then using a peak limiter at the end of the chain. Also, for rough rock vocals, the L1 really SMOOTHES out BITE, so I can see why Dave Pensado must love it on R & B vocals where that ultra smooth sound is desired.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I use an L1 on most of my lead vocal tracks. It doesn't have to be extreme and nasty... But it does that pretty well if that's what you're looking for.

Try taking a little off the top and use a long release. BTW, completely ignore the meters.

Renvox can be cool too... It chunkifies things.
Founder

L1 in development?
Attached Thumbnails
L1 instead of LA-2A as vocal levelor-leaf_blower_dummy_head.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
L1 in development?
Muahahahahahahahahaha heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I must admit, I do like the L1 at the end of the vocal chain... but, not crushing the vocal too much. It gives the vocal a more "modern" sound. I usually have some other compressor or limiter in the chain before it doing the hard work (Fairchild 660, 1176, LA-2A).

-CJ
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
660 on vocals? really...?
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

what do you think?
I feel it takes the quality of the sound (depth, 3D-ness) away. But if you're going for that overly smashed virtually dry upfront tone, I guess it can work. I like 2-3 stages of compression better.
However, on a rock tune I mixed this week, I found a use for the british mode on my Distressor for the first time . The leadvocal got absolutely smashed into placed - but without pumping - with a sledgehammer( ), solo'd the track distorted a little, but in the mix it was awesome.

Good luck,
Dirk
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
L1 is not really my first choice for vocal processing. Yes, you can get that in your face sound, but one has to be careful. When I used it for this purpose I automated the threshold, because L1 was stealing too much power.

I think dynamics have a lot to do with excitement in music. If you use a little compression accompanied by some fader riding and sweet eq you get a more open sound. DonΒ΄t worry : it will gets squashed in your face later at mastering if you want it.

I rather use my Massive Passive in combination with the Vari-Mu or Weiss Compressor / Limiter. Plugin-wise I get better results with a Sony Inflator plugin.

DidnΒ΄t mean to piss all of you L1 raving sluts off, but I guess there are 1001 ways to get a good vocal sound. In the end its all about the artist...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
haha! vocalist as kazoo

it can do neet stuff if you have treated the vocal well before you hit the L1. Otherwise you'll just leaf blowerify shi-. You want to blow good tasing stuff righ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
660 on vocals? really...?
Yeah, definitely. Even if its not getting squashed much, it lends a great tonal character to the vocal.
If you've ever heard Geoff Emerick's work with a small group from Liverpool... you've heard the 660 on vocals... and they didn't do too bad for themselves.
πŸ“ Reply