SSL X-Desk - Page 37 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL X-Desk
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom b ➡️

Maybe [email protected] can give the official confirmation...

p
We stopped taking distributor orders back in July. Not 100% sure if there are a very small number of backorders left to fulfil, but if you placed your order after July it is unlikely to happen.

X-Desk and X-Rack do indeed make a great, modular, scalable system. It’s what I have at home! They are also products launched in 2009 and 2005 respectively and have generated significant sales, but over the last 3-4 years this has really dwindled. One might argue that while there is demand for a product like this, most people who’d want one already did so in the last 10 years.

I have 2 pre’s, 2 comps, 2 EQs and a Bus Comp with my X-Desk. With a broad focus you might say this is the same as a SiX so why the price difference of £8k vs £1k? There must be corner cutting, right?

Well, my pre’s have more gain and HPF/LPF filters. My dynamics have gate/expanders as well as comps and I can change any setting I want. My EQs are 4 band with 2 full parametrics. My Bus Comp has all the settings. There’s a lot of component and assembly cost in all of that! Despite the successes of these products they have never benefitted from the economies of scale you get with serious production quantities and under previous management we never had the opportunity to ask “much much if we built 2000?”

Perhaps there is a reason nobody else makes a product like X-Desk. Perhaps we got it right at the time but now the world has predominantly moved on. I mean, seriously, an 8 fader mixer with 2 channels of processing for £8k plus VAT? If we launched that tomorrow you’d flame me...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
We stopped taking distributor orders back in July. Not 100% sure if there are a very small number of backorders left to fulfil, but if you placed your order after July it is unlikely to happen.
Thanks Jim - I'll check in with where I ordered from.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️

X-Desk and X-Rack do indeed make a great, modular, scalable system. It’s what I have at home! They are also products launched in 2009 and 2005 respectively and have generated significant sales, but over the last 3-4 years this has really dwindled. One might argue that while there is demand for a product like this, most people who’d want one already did so in the last 10 years.

I have 2 pre’s, 2 comps, 2 EQs and a Bus Comp with my X-Desk. With a broad focus you might say this is the same as a SiX so why the price difference of £8k vs £1k? There must be corner cutting, right?

Well, my pre’s have more gain and HPF/LPF filters. My dynamics have gate/expanders as well as comps and I can change any setting I want. My EQs are 4 band with 2 full parametrics. My Bus Comp has all the settings. There’s a lot of component and assembly cost in all of that! Despite the successes of these products they have never benefitted from the economies of scale you get with serious production quantities and under previous management we never had the opportunity to ask “much much if we built 2000?”

Perhaps there is a reason nobody else makes a product like X-Desk. Perhaps we got it right at the time but now the world has predominantly moved on. I mean, seriously, an 8 fader mixer with 2 channels of processing for £8k plus VAT? If we launched that tomorrow you’d flame me...
Surely to marry the Six to a x desk is where most people want to go, I for sure would be queuing up for one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think we would pay 8k for a “twelve”. 4 mono + 4 stereo inputs.

Two fix plus stereo cue sends.

Inserts on all channels.

Stereo fusion circuit on master bus.

Mic pres plus Three bands of eq plus sweepable HPF on the four mono inputs.

Two band eq on the 4 stereo channels.

Monitor control section like x desk, except no iPhone input.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie ➡️
I think we would pay 8k for a “twelve”. 4 mono + 4 stereo inputs.

Two fix plus stereo cue sends.

Inserts on all channels.

Stereo fusion circuit on master bus.

Mic pres plus Three bands of eq plus sweepable HPF on the four mono inputs.

Two band eq on the 4 stereo channels.

Monitor control section like x desk, except no iPhone input.
I certainly would even if I never used the pre’s!!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In 1983 the Yamaha DX7 seemingly killed most analog synths...

but those analog beasts are back again, still alive.

Computers are cool, but they are not everything.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein ➡️
In 1983 the Yamaha DX7 seemingly killed most analog synths...

but those analog beasts are back again, still alive.

Computers are cool, but they are not everything.
Agreed, I say this a lot “people were throwing pultec’s in the dumpster”.
📝 Reply