The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL X-Desk
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbramble ➡️
I would get in the habit of turning off your monitors first in general - its good practice. And conversely, turn them on last when powering up the X-desk. You can disconnect the headphones, or just turn down the headphone volume before powering down.
Thanks for the feedback! With regard to the monitors, that's what I've been doing. With regard to the headphones, turning down the headphone volume doesn't prevent the pops from getting through. Which leaves disconnecting them everytime I turn on / off the x-desk. Which is a hassle, and sometimes I forget. Was hoping this wouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by Kulder; 3rd December 2020 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Any love for the xdesk in 2021? Seems like the six stole the shine. I had purchased a Six and sent it back to invest in a better interface (aurora n)(so glad I did). But now I’m not gonna lie, eyeing the xdesk to tie in everything with a console like workflow.
Old 11th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
Any love for the xdesk in 2021? Seems like the six stole the shine. I had purchased a Six and sent it back to invest in a better interface (aurora n)(so glad I did). But now I’m not gonna lie, eyeing the xdesk to tie in everything with a console like workflow.
I have both the X-Desk and SiX as part of a 24 track summing set up. Both are great. A really refined tone and great flexibility (in different ways) from both units. Here is a post I made a few months ago.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l#post15140702
Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Hell yes.
Just got lucky and found an XPanda and then grabbed an Xdesk. I also just got an Aurora n 24. It got expensive fast but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get my dream setup but that all of course depended on finding an XPanda...

Just got everything setup and it feels like driving a ****ing Ferrari when I’m writing.

I am now using both in combination with my SiX. It’s really great and covers a ton of bases with the eq, dynamics and pres. I thought I’d probably sell it once I got some VHD black ores but there is no chance in hell I would do that. The SiX is indispensable.

I like running my Meris FX chain through the Bus B and come back to the main buss.

Slapped a Fusion across the Xdesk master insert and that’s pretty impressive too so far.

All this to record my Elektrons in one pass, get ideas down fast and jam without the daw and have the audio ready to go with the SD card. Its perfect.
Old 20th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearside ➡️
Hell yes.
Just got lucky and found an XPanda and then grabbed an Xdesk. I also just got an Aurora n 24. It got expensive fast but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get my dream setup but that all of course depended on finding an XPanda...

Just got everything setup and it feels like driving a ****ing Ferrari when I’m writing.

I am now using both in combination with my SiX. It’s really great and covers a ton of bases with the eq, dynamics and pres. I thought I’d probably sell it once I got some VHD black ores but there is no chance in hell I would do that. The SiX is indispensable.

I like running my Meris FX chain through the Bus B and come back to the main buss.

Slapped a Fusion across the Xdesk master insert and that’s pretty impressive too so far.

All this to record my Elektrons in one pass, get ideas down fast and jam without the daw and have the audio ready to go with the SD card. Its perfect.
Lucky! I've watched Xpandas pop up once or twice a year for north of $3k and never pulled the trigger, but have been rocking an xdesk for several years now.

As far as my set up:
SL502s on the channel inserts, always keep a delay on one fx send, and a reverb on the other. These change per mix but I'm still a steady PCM60 user.

On the master insert, I run a pair of pultecs into an audioscape SSL compressor. On the master output, I usually am running a CAG EQ(Sontec Clone), into a fusion, into a Neve MBPII, then into my bounce down which is currently a TASCAM DA-3000.

This is such a killer little setup. I love watching guests mix on my rig and realize how powerful it is. I used to pull everything to patchbays but option paralysis is a real thing for me. Wiring up a capable rig in series and working around it's limitations helps me actually finish projects.
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hell yes.

Hey Clearside, would you say more about what makes the SiX indispensable - how you’re using it? I’m in the same situation. Had a six already and just got my x desk from VK today. I was just considering selling the SiX. I have no doubts in the SiX’s practicality and usefulness ... my concern is how I’d route it into a larger X-Desk-based system without introducing a bunch of new and unnecessary (or noise introducing) gain-staging points. I’d love to hear where and how the SiX is showing love in your signal chain.
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by armand63T ➡️
Hey Clearside, would you say more about what makes the SiX indispensable - how you’re using it? I’m in the same situation. Had a six already and just got my x desk from VK today. I was just considering selling the SiX. I have no doubts in the SiX’s practicality and usefulness ... my concern is how I’d route it into a larger X-Desk-based system without introducing a bunch of new and unnecessary (or noise introducing) gain-staging points. I’d love to hear where and how the SiX is showing love in your signal chain.
Of course!

So as of now i just got everything complete. You can check out my rig at the link below.

I basically have the SiX on the PatchBay and i can jump in and out of it just using track 1 and 2. That way i can use the EQ and compressors and/or the G Bus on the main output and just patch it into what ever i want. I have a fusion now and may route that to the SiX chan 5/6 so i can patch in the Gcomp. I don't have that quite yet.

So i have tracks 1 and 2 just as a patch point on the patch bay. Then when i press the Buss B button on the SiX, i have that running out to my MERIS pedals Ottobit JR. and Enzo in series. Those FX return on the stereo 3/4 on the SiX. Main output goes back to the Patchbay and on to whatever channel i chose back in to the Xdesk/Xpanda setup. SO far so good. Can't really justify getting rid of the SiX just yet as the Pre's, EQ, Comp and G Comp just make it too damn USEFUL!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBMdmHh..._web_copy_link

LMK if you have any more questions!
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Brilliant, man, thank you. Tons of possibilities. Both the SiX and the Desk are packed with routing options. I've got them both on my desk with a stack of DBs and single cables and am trying hard to keep it SIMPLE. LOL
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
How do you mix stereo tracks on the X-Desk???

[email protected], thanks for this thread. The GS and RGO content on both the SiX and the X-Desk have been invaluable. These are powerful, FUN tools. (I'm incorporating both on my desk, with my racks, tonight.)

Three questions for you (one certainly stupid, two possibly stupid):

#1 . Since the X-Desk's tracks are mono ... when the X-Desk is receiving audio from the DAW and you're mixing it down to the Mix-Bus out ... how do you work with stereo tracks from the DAW? Do you just manually use two faders at the same time (e.g., 1/2, 3/4)?

#2 . I can't find anything in the X-Desk manual that says whether Pre-Fader or Post-Fader includes the insert. If I want to record Channel Direct Out as Post-Fader ... is that going to include the insert?

#3 . If I want to record pre-fader, does that include the insert?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hell yes.

. Bro that’s exactly like what I want to do . Congrats though. That’s like my fairly reasonable dream set up I strive to build. I’m hoping sometime soon if the xdesk can go on sale I might be able to pull the trigger (went on sale early 2020 but skipped out as I had just gotten my aurora n 16 ) .

Last edited by ChuyLocs602; 11th March 2021 at 08:14 AM..
Old 28th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you can find an X-Panda buy it. You can always add the X-Desk.

Here is my setup.

Ghost
Attached Thumbnails
SSL X-Desk-1.jpg  
📝 Reply