Quantcast
Blue Dragonfly Mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Dragonfly Mic
Old 27th March 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Blue Dragonfly Mic

I just tested my new Blue Dragonfly mic on male vocals and acoustic guitars.

What I noticed was: (1) A really strong proximity effect and low-end; (2) a really hyped top end; (3) not a lot of mid-range; and, (4) that it is very finicky about mic placement (if you move the mic just a little bit, it can make a huge difference in the sound).

Am I just imagining these things, or have other users noticed the same things?
Old 27th March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the same impression as you when I used one...

but check this video:

Wow! right?

YouTube - Fiona Apple performs "Parting Gift" link to video in case i embedded it wrong.
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Now if I could only learn to write songs as good as hers...

What's interesting about the video is that you can actually hear the sonic characteristics of the mic, even through the crappy YouTube compression.

Thanks for posting it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These are some of my favorite mics for drum OH's . They take a little getting used to, but damn they're nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia ➑️
Now if I could only learn to write songs as good as hers...

What's interesting about the video is that you can actually hear the sonic characteristics of the mic, even through the crappy YouTube compression.

Thanks for posting it.
Yeah, she's so amazing. Get Jon Brion to work with you, too! lol.

Wondering if blue mics have changed at all since JZ broke off from them and did their own thing. There are tons of threads about the messy breakup and lawsuits and stuff...but those don't really answer the question; did the sound of the mics change?! Construction? I know the paint/laquer/finish/construction of the mics look different on some of the models.

Still doesn't answer the question about sound. I wouldn't hesitate to use that dragonfly that Fiona is singing into. The one I used was sold. So I dunno...
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yea, I noticed that about the dragonfly too. The tonal curve was just too much for me and I had a hard time finding usefull applications. Had very nice detail though. Great for anyone with a big mic selection.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
wow, I'm surprised with all the negatives. I've used them on drum overheads, guitar cabs, vocals, acoustic guitar, other percussion, and love them on everything except for acoustic guitar. I haven't experienced any problems with mic placement, actually I find it really easy to place these how I want them, a big part of that is the rotating capsule.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio ➑️
These are some of my favorite mics for drum OH's . They take a little getting used to, but damn they're nice.
Acoustic sources, these mics generally SLAY.

War
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I put one (Dragonfly) in front of a Koch Studiotone ST20-C without paying attention to placement (about 6 inches away, capsule slightly off-axis — just to test signal into my system and got the best clean guitar tone I've ever had without spending an hour tweaking mike placement. The rotating capsule makes fine-tuning the tone a snap. As a side note, I've used the Dragonfly, Mouse, Blueberry, and Baby Bottle, and all seem to love the Pacifica — or maybe it's the other way around — either way, Pacifica and Blue mics make a stellar combination in my experience.

-B-
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Long Live Peeder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhousepro ➑️
As a side note, I've used the Dragonfly, Mouse, Blueberry, and Baby Bottle, and all seem to love the Pacifica β€” or maybe it's the other way around β€” either way, Pacifica and Blue mics make a stellar combination in my experience.

-B-
But, then, one would expect such a sentiment from a "charter member of the LA Mafia."

(P.S. -- I also own a Pacifica and Blueberry.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for acoustic guitar would you reach for a dragonfly or a Blueberry?

also male and female vocals? say rock not metal and country
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
no one's mentioned how the dragonfly absolutely KILLS on sax. I've found it useful for vox (depending on the singer), but haven't tried it for overheads. have to give that a shot one day. But on a nice raspy Mark VI... just heaven.
Old 28th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use a pair for overheads, sound better than 414's. I use them on acoustic guitar and vocals. Once in a while it may not suit a vocalist as well as my sm7 or blueberry. But overall it's a fantastic mic.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler ➑️
no one's mentioned how the dragonfly absolutely KILLS on sax. I've found it useful for vox (depending on the singer), but haven't tried it for overheads. have to give that a shot one day. But on a nice raspy Mark VI... just heaven.
hey!!!!! Mark VII player here! i've been thinking about getting one of those mics myself.

i've found that the earthworks sr77 is the best mic i've used so far for sax, but i have heard great things about the dragonfly.

nice to see another sax player here!
Old 28th March 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yep, especially with acoustic guitars. You really have to track listening to yourself recording with both headphones on (usually i take one off to hear myself), because you may be a half inch away from a half ass recording sound, or amazing studio quality acoustic guitar recording.

And if you are a crappy singer such as myself, well it seems to highlight all of the flaws in my singing. BUT, i recorded my friends band, who is a great singer, and that microphone sounded like pure magic.

Also doesent work very well w/ distorted guitars, but amazing for cleanish or low end heavy amps like my orange tt/ 2x12.

Also ive gotten some amazing results doing acoustic guitars w/ the dragonfly / my other mic with the one polar pattern deal you need to do mid side processing deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia ➑️
I just tested my new Blue Dragonfly mic on male vocals and acoustic guitars.

What I noticed was: (1) A really strong proximity effect and low-end; (2) a really hyped top end; (3) not a lot of mid-range; and, (4) that it is very finicky about mic placement (if you move the mic just a little bit, it can make a huge difference in the sound).

Am I just imagining these things, or have other users noticed the same things?
Lives for gear

Cool on snare, and the rotatable capsule makes placement a snap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalstyleonline ➑️
Also doesent work very well w/ distorted guitars, but amazing for cleanish or low end heavy amps like my orange tt/ 2x12.
Nail on the head. I've tried to use it on a triple rectifier...NG. But I also used it on a marshall set for a cleaner crunch sound and sounded great. I used it in conjunction with a dynamic for a wider sound but it still sounded great by itself. I'm sold on this mic and will never sell it. Blue is a great company.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
As the OP of this thread, let me thank all those who have responded.

BTW, I wasn't saying in my original post that I necessarily disliked the mic, only that it did seem to have some very striking characteristics.

I'm interested, though, in having some of the people who responded that they liked the Dragonfly on acoustic guitar answer this question: When micing a strummed acoustic guitar with the Dragonfly, how far away do you generally place the mic from the guitar?
Old 30th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock ➑️

Dragonfly for acoustic guitar definitely β€” the Blueberry is designed to push vocals forward in a heavy mix β€” the Dragonfly is better at adding the cornstarch to thin female voices. As far as rock vocals, the Baby Bottle is more adept at midrange sounds and therefore might make a better choice.

-B-
Old 1st April 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock ➑️

Dragonfly

i love these mics!
like War said, and i agree, awesome on acoustic source.
i wish i had a couple more.
Blue mics do have a upper register sound that some seem not to care for, but i love them.
nice and detailed.
the Blue berry is a great vocal mic.
Old 10th September 2009 | Show parent
JSG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This is not a fairly recent thread, however, I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix. I went to my local Guitar Center today with the intentions of buying a Blue Blueberry mic, as I have wanted to try them out. Because of my great relationship with the store manager and the Pro Audio sales staff there they let me try-out several mics through the same preamp (737) and compressor (1176 LN) that I use as my front-end in my home studio. I ended up buying the Dragonfly as it suited my voice better than the Blueberry. The top-end of the Blueberry seem hyped and much too harsh compared to the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly also has somewhat of a hyped top-end but not as dramatic as the Blueberry for my voice. When I got home I tracked a lead vocal track and found it needed de-essing a bit, but sounded very detailed and clear. So far, I'm really liking this mic.
Old 11th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➑️
I had the same impression as you when I used one...

but check this video:

Wow! right?

YouTube - Fiona Apple performs "Parting Gift" link to video in case i embedded it wrong.

It's Fiona Apple....my god man, would the mic really matter....but WOW is right....she is amazing....every bit of her....
Old 11th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
dragonfly consecutive serial pair... heard it through the grapevine. and thats not even the best part ($$$).
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What a underestimated mic! I bought one a cupple of years ago payed full price, then I bought one more on ebay for 200 USD to use them as overhead mics. And now the price has even dropped more in the stores...

On vocals it's a killer! Compared to other mid-priced mics I've tryed it's a winner. It smokes the TLM103 which I sold right away after my second purchase of the dragonfly. It has a beautiful high end that doesn't sound harsch. Even though it was designed for female vocalists, I use it on male vocals all the time.

Has anyone tryed the Kiwi?
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I agree that this mic is wonderful on overheads, acoustic guitar and sax. I am surprised its not talked about more on these forum.
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have yet to find a source where I enjoyed using the dragonfly. I have not liked it on any vocals or guitars, when compared to many other mics. I find the Blue Mouse to be a much better all-rounder. It's great for drum overheads or room mics, toms, bass cab, vocals and percussion. It's got an unhyped top-end, smooth mids and a beefy, extended low-end.
πŸ“ Reply