EQs, and channel strips vs. components - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQs, and channel strips vs. components
Old 12th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
EQs, and channel strips vs. components

Hello all.

I will soon be making my first 'big' gear purchase, which is looking like it will be a parametric. I mostly make drum n bass (and weird techno stuff), do about 90% of my processing outboard, and have this current setup:

Athlon 650, Logic 5.1, Audiowerk2 soundcard
Emu E6400 Ultra sampler
Waldorf microQ
RNC
Joemeek MC2
3630 (I know, I know)
Chandler tube driver

It seems to me the obvious omission here is the parametric, so I've been looking at a few options. The top contenders at the moment are the Speck and the Mindprint DTC (which would mean I'd get a preamp and comp thrown in the deal).

So, I have two questions:

What are your opinions of those particular pieces for a very flexible, good-sounding EQ?

What are your opinions on the merits of all-in-one channel strips vs. discreet components?

Also, thanks for all the knowledge I've gained from you guys while lurking
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: EQs, and channel strips vs. components

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaseed

So, I have two questions:

What are your opinions of those particular pieces for a very flexible, good-sounding EQ?

What are your opinions on the merits of all-in-one channel strips vs. discreet components?

Also, thanks for all the knowledge I've gained from you guys while lurking
What kind of sound are you looking for?

The Speck is clean while the Mindprint is a little more colored.

I like the Amek CIB,VT737,Voxbox(all in one) as well as the components by themselves.

They all serve their purpose depending on your intention.

Just the fact that you are working on a computer lends itself to cleaner EQ's(digital).

For the kind of music you are doing, maybe something with a little more character would be a better choice.

For the kind of money you will be spending, you won't find much.

Most of the good EQ's are expensive.

The Speck is clean and flexible. If you go with the Speck, than maybe balance it off with something with color. A good choice if you can find it used is the Moog 3 band parametric EQ. Its one of my favorites for mixing synth bass. It is definitely colored and it can give your bass tones a lot of character.
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
For my applications, a bit of color would be a welcome addition. However, i do so much re-processing that I'd like to stay away from anything too colored, to avoid the EQ becoming overbearing...

I've noticed a lack of options in my price range, but unfortunatelyI won't be able to justify the $4k-ish it seems like I would need for a really top-end unit...

Getting two units might be the way to go, but for sake of talking about cool gear, what would be your first choice for a nice EQ with a bit of character for around 2 Gs? I'll probably stay away from the Pultec-type stuff, as I'm looking for more control in frequency selection.

Thanks again.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaseed
For my applications, a bit of color would be a welcome addition. However, i do so much re-processing that I'd like to stay away from anything too colored, to avoid the EQ becoming overbearing...

I've noticed a lack of options in my price range, but unfortunatelyI won't be able to justify the $4k-ish it seems like I would need for a really top-end unit...

Getting two units might be the way to go, but for sake of talking about cool gear, what would be your first choice for a nice EQ with a bit of character for around 2 Gs? I'll probably stay away from the Pultec-type stuff, as I'm looking for more control in frequency selection.

Thanks again.
Good EQ with character for $2K?

I would probably go the used route.

A good two channel unit for under $2K is the Avalon VT 747. It is great for loops. Even though its a graphic, you can really mangle the sounds with it.

A single channel unit would be the Amek CIB(Audiogaff just sold one for around $1875).

I think if you hunt around you can probably get a pair of the older 9098EQ's for around $2K.

The Amek stuff works great for synths. The EQ on both is very flexible and you can pound it on before it gets too crazy.

For a little more cash, the Summit/Neve MPE-200(no mic pre $2875 new) is one of my favorites for synths and whole bunch of other things. You can even operate it with a plug in PT or Logic. It is super flexible and sounds fantastic.

Even though I've never used it and I don't like recommending something I haven't used, the X81 might be worth checking out. I have used the X73 a bunch of times and the Eq points I wish it had are on the X81. I wasn't too crazy about the X73 on certain things, but on synth stuff it really shines. I think its somewhere in your ball park.

I am sure there are many others I am overlooking, but off the top of my head these came to mind.

Good luck.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Much appreciated. I'll be checking those out, then
πŸ“ Reply