Quantcast
AKG ADR 68k 4.0 upgrade - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG ADR 68k 4.0 upgrade
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
AKG ADR 68k 4.0 upgrade

Just wanted to let folks know that I am offering an upgrade to the AKG ADR 68k reverb. Since AKG does not support the unit anymore, I worked out an agreement with them to provide basic services for the unit, including upgrading it to the last OS version (4.0).

Details can be found here: ADR 68k

thanks
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hi oldgearguy, I know there's a bit of a time displacement between now and when you posted your services for the AKG ADR68K. I'm hoping you're still active on Gearslutz and are still a resource for this vintage reverb. I've had mine for about 15 years, use it sporadically. Lately I've been thinking about parting with it because a) it takes valuable real estate in my rack and b) is very limited with what I Can use if for due to a technical issue. Basically, it will only work when I power-on with the HELP button pressed on the remote, putting the unit into a reset/self-test mode. I can use it with the "cold start" mode, but can't save any parameters that way, obviously. It seems to work 100% in this mode, but I'd like it tow work properly. I have the use manual, but not any service manual.

Can you help me return this puppy back to it's glory?

Thanks!
PS: mine is ver 3.07

Last edited by virtualMo; 20th March 2019 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: added verion info
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
As a total non expert, doesn't that sound like a dead battery?
Old 1st January 2020
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Late thread but anyway...
The ADR68K doesn't have a battery, it has a Dallas Semiconductor "Smart socket" with embedded power that does the memory duties.
You should see a ram IC plugged in a tall socket on the main board. It's a DS1213B chip.
Here's a list of companies that currently have it (allegedly.) https://www.digipart.com/part/DS1213B
Maybe $8 from China. https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/670339.html?digipart=1
My ADR68K saves on the memory card but not on the internal registers, so I need the chip.
But it starts without the cold start procedure, you may have more than one issue. But try it and see.
What a great great sounding reverb. I was just playing my acoustic through it tonight, using a huge chamber. Wonderful sounds....
Worth the space in one's rack I think!
- Will
Old 27th October 2020
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Bumping this.

What differs between the versions (2, 3.17 and 4)? Sample memory and algorithms? Anybody in Europe willing to part with theirs?

Always wanted to try an ADR68K. It's on the bucket list.
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by znus โžก๏ธ
Bumping this.

What differs between the versions (2, 3.17 and 4)? Sample memory and algorithms? Anybody in Europe willing to part with theirs?

Always wanted to try an ADR68K. It's on the bucket list.
Also I believe the MIDI implementation was improved in version 4.
๐Ÿ“ Reply