Quantcast
MaxxBCL vs TC P2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MaxxBCL vs TC P2
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
MaxxBCL vs TC P2

Hi, Im in the mastering field, I want to update the last gear in my audio chain, I have ua2192, isa 110, blue 230, amek 9098 eq &cl, SMC 2b, an then to my mytek a/dC .
The point is that I need a digital limiter with dithering, (the L2 is discontinued) and the new version (maxxxbcl )has new features that are very good, but I saw the new TC P2 and the specs are very good too, has anyone try both of this products?, or have any advise to a gear that I can use for this aplication?
Thanks!
Old 13th July 2005
eus
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Sordeli. If you're looking something mainly for mastering, go for the MaxxBCL. I just bought one and it's great! I haven't heard the TC P2, but I've used TC's Finalizer a lot, and currently own a TC DBMax, which is a bit like the P2, especially the hardware platform seems very similar. From what I've read it's not at all like the MaxxBCL: it's not specificly designed for mastering. Max. sample rate is only 48 KHz (MaxxBCL 96 KHz). Like the 'old' L2, the AD-converters of the MaxxBCL are very good, so I certainly expect them to be superior to those of the P2. The MaxxBCL easily outperforms the DBMax in every way. OK, the TC has a lot more settings, and factory and user presets. But isn't sound more important? The DBMax does what it's supposed to do for post production and broadcast. I haven't heard of anyone using it for mastering though, and don't recommend it either. So if the P2 is what I expect it is, it's also probably not something an ME would go for.
Old 13th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the BCL has the L2 limiter in it, I wouldn't even push down the threshold. I'd max out the input and use it as an overload free limiter by using just the output ceiling function. This assuming the L2 sounds identical to the software VST L2, which I believe it does.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 13th July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
MaXXX BCL

Thank you guy´s for the advise, I will go for the Maxx BCL, for now the only way that Im workin with is:
From Analog gear to my Mytek Stereo ADC 192,(in 44.1) then dogital to a TC gold Channel, (just for dithering to 16 bit) cause the mytek is 24 bit, then to the ML-9600 (recording in 44.1 /16) in a first generation track, the reasson that I do this is , is because I HATE the DSP of the ML , and because there is no dithering in the ML from 24 to 16 bit, is just a NOISE SHAPE, so do you have any advise while I get my MAXX BCL
THANK´s
Old 14th July 2005 | Show parent
eus
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordeli
From Analog gear to my Mytek Stereo ADC 192,(in 44.1) then dogital to a TC gold Channel, (just for dithering to 16 bit) cause the mytek is 24 bit, then to the ML-9600 (recording in 44.1 /16) in a first generation track
What will you do with this first generation track?
Old 14th July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I just burn it & send it to the plant and make the copies (Im sending in two modes, in a CD format, and Aiff format)
ANY ADVISE?
📝 Reply