The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does the SM87/Beta 87 have a place in the studio?
Old 1st March 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Does the SM87/Beta 87 have a place in the studio?

Looked around, but haven't found any information on this; is there a reason why they go for hundreds new, but resell for $50 wherever I look? I had thought they were a relatively decent mic, but there doesn't seem to be any praise for them on here, save a mention of use on Hi-hat and snare...under a fairly heavy list of other microphones, of course. Does anybody have anything they'd like to share? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks, all!
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've done live sound for ages with those in the mic locker and they never sounded better than other choices.

I have this sneaking suspicion (but can't verify) shure changed transformers early in the beta series, because my 58beta (pre a) is so right for so many live vocals and yet the beta58a's and rest of the beta series are SO small and insignificant sounding.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I agree. I've heard them in live situations and the only thing I found impressive was the 87's feedback rejection (considering it's a condenser).

But I'm primarily concerned with its place, or lack thereof, in the studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm with ya - I had to come back to double-check if you meant live or studio.

As for me, no I haven't used one in a nice isolated sutio situation, but I firmly believe there's no waste in anything - the fact those mics don't cut through a live mix might be a great plus in a studio situation.

Great food for thought Antonio_4346, now I'm thinking stike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
home studio here -

Beta 87A - My "go to" vocal mic:

1) excellent room rejection

2) "Pro" sound - Full-bodied, rounded balanced tone, smooth top end at the right distance with the right mic pre. (Using a "Neve inspired" transformer input/output pre here)

Negative - sibilant with the wrong pre.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
bump

Anybody else?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes. I mostly use it for a guitarist who prefers to sing while playing - it has (as above) excellent rejection. I run it through a warm tube pre for a bit more body.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had luck using a Beta 87 on acoustic guitars. Not my go to mic, but it's nice to have around.

Steve
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I use Beta 87A for vocals in a home studio, for the reasons another poster already mentioned. It sounds good (to me) on pretty much my entire vocal volume range (quiet/loud) and does not pick up my computer noise, a TV two rooms away, etc.

I have thought about trying something else as my vocal mic, but my experience with big condensers is that they pick up "the room" and this saves me from having to properly treat the room. I have also thought of replacing it with an SM7, but doubt the SM7 would be as versatile (I might buy an SM7 just to try it though).
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a snippet of a song I just did:

https://gearspace.com/board/4255784-post133.html

beta 87a >>> Chameleon Labs 7602 >>> behringer composer >>> 002 >> PTLE

I did de-ess (as mentioned above the mic has a HFrise between 4-6K and 8-9K as it is a stage mic) - but I always get good results in my crappy room

-

EDIT - here's another clip of a recent demo - the girl was eating the mic and I had no pop filter so I cut a lot around 200 hz, and lots of lows too, and boosted highs somewhat... still sounds "warm"

-
EDIT - I've put 4 clips together here in the same thread
Attached Files

fem-vox-ac-gtr-beta87a-CL7602.wav (4.24 MB, 9889 views)

OM-ac-gtr-beta87a-CL7602.wav (3.01 MB, 9630 views)

male-vox-beta87a-CL7602.wav (4.07 MB, 9925 views)

fem-vox1-CL7602-beta87a.wav (3.74 MB, 9809 views)

Old 9th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've used it for vocalists in the control room with moderate success. I've actually liked it on snare a couple of times as well.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A producer I've worked with swears by an SM87 on the snare. It does sound good I have to say. Has anybody got any other opinions about using it for that application? I find the 57 is just so dull.
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I actually am wondering he same thing. I was thinking about using it on snare.
Anybody try it there yet?
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Personally, never had great luck with it on snare. It's OK, but more comfortable choices are near at hand. Maybe with more experimentation.
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The reason I ask is I grabbed one at a pawn shop, perfect condition 100 bucks. Seemed like a great deal.

sounds like I should hang onto it and use if for recording guitar and vocals at the same time. Will it be any better then a good ole SM58 for that?
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You may have a prob picking up both, with it being so directional (supercardioid)

It sounds smoother and airier than a 58
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cool, at least it has a use, I would use a separate mic or two for the guitar and use the beta for VOX, I know there will be bleed but I would have a cleaner VOX track to work with.

I gues I will have to experiment and see what it sounds good on.
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It sounds great on vocals - nice warmth up close with the proximity effect. As with other live mics it benefit from singing fairly close in. You may find you need a pop filter to stop plosives.
Old 15th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum ➑️
I actually am wondering he same thing. I was thinking about using it on snare.
Anybody try it there yet?
I love it on the snare for things that need a bit more detail; jazz drums with brushes, side-stick work, etc. etc.

However, I don't like it on much that is more straight-ahead--your average rock and roll, hip-hop, or metal type stuff.
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysC ➑️
Well there ya go proof is in the pudding.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That is definitely a studio - It has foam on the walls! (egg cartons just out of shot)
πŸ“ Reply