Quantcast
Who records rock music, with no live drums? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who records rock music, with no live drums?
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
battery plug

wanted to jump in with some praise for Native Instrument's "Battery" drum sampler... it's a little buggy but the functionality's great...makes layering and tuning drum samples easy. don't know about rock, I use it for house, but seems like it would work just fine.
Old 13th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Let's face it, sampled drums and cymbals will never be the same as a real kit. You can get close or something that doesn't suck but it's not the same. Sit at a real kit and whack the snare once. You'll hear the toms and cymbals ring. Samples don't do that. The best sounding sampled drums I've ever mixed were a Roland V-drum toms and kick with a real snare and cymbals. But somehow, I don't think that counts.
Old 15th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed. I don't think there is any argument that real drums are best for real drum applications.

But if you don't have a great player around, a room to do it in, or you just want to do it all yourself, some good suggestions here.
Old 15th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Let's face it, sampled drums and cymbals will never be the same as a real kit.
I totally agree. Since I only record myself, I rely on sampled drums for my recordings. I mainly use Fruity Loops and Soundfonts.

I've searched high and low for decent drum soundfonts and samples. The best one that I've been able to find so far is the Natural Studio kit. You can download it for free at www.nskit.com.
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

check out "drum kit from hell" an amazing rock drums sample library, burning grooves is nice too...
Old 15th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by loubeck
The best one that I've been able to find so far is the Natural Studio kit. You can download it for free at www.nskit.com.
Lou, Thanks!

PS: take out that '.' period in your link after com
Old 15th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Lou, Thanks!

PS: take out that '.' period in your link after com
Oops. Sorry about that...

Here it is again www.nskit.com.
Old 15th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's an impractical but great solution:

For the same (or less) dough you spend on your various samplers, DAWs with vastly overused editing capabilities, drum machines, sound modules, sample CDs, etc... buy a drum kit and learn how to play it. You can even afford to play for drum lessons.

I don't mind being the cog in the wheel and yeah I'm old-fashioned, but I'll take this opportunity to beat the dead horse in this thread: Drum samples suck compared to good drummers playing good beats on a good kit that's recorded and mixed well.

If you need electronic sounds, buy everything but the drumset.

Old 16th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using that same logic, I'll think I'll learn to play guitar and bass too...what the hell

That way I can be a player of all instruments and a master of noneheh

...on second thought, I'll just stick to my core strengths of producing mixing and keyboards. So sorry eBay, it's time to dust off the samplers and fire up the drum machines!!...again!!
Old 16th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by loubeck
I totally agree. [/url].
Yeah, since we agree what can be done about it? Programming a real sounding pattern is easy, just think like a drummer. They can only hit four things at once so don't make robo-dummer hit 10 just because you have 10 fingers.

What about the rest of it? Good individual sounds are easy to get. How can you make them gel into a whole real kit?
Old 16th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
i use always sequenced/sampled drums primarily because i don't have the space or the equipment to do live drums. i wish i did, though. in any event, i've never heard of anyone doing drums the way i do... and i think the "fake" drums i do sound ok, quite often i have other musicians ask me who played the drums, and get wide eyes when i tell them they're sequenced. i can post a link to a song if anyone would be interested in hearing. and if anyone is interested i'd be happy to share the methods too... just a bit longwinded for an unsolicited post
Old 16th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by theunity
i'd be happy to share the methods too... just a bit longwinded for an unsolicited post
Dude, have at it thumbsup That is what this thread is about anywayz.

Besides theres not too much flaming around here at Gearslutz
Old 16th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
ok here are some fake drums for your listening pleasure, the first: a straight drum track and the second: a whole mix with the drums

the best way i've found to get real sounding drums is to use native instruments battery (any soft sampler with multiple outs will do) and use a wave editing program to generate a 1ms wav file of a sine wave, white noise, whatever - a click is what you need. so then load alllll your clicks up into your sampler, and send them across about 8 outputs and then on those outputs you use wavemachine labs drumagog. then you have allllll your drums sequenced on one midi track, yet you have an audio fader for each drum where you can use your other plugins on the sounds if you need to. also, i use cubase sx and it has a way to "humanize" the midi part a little bit so it sounds a bit more loose and natural (although the above samples were not done that way). also, the actual drum samples you hear are free and were done by a friend of mine. as soon as i can find a link to them i'll post it. happy sequencing
πŸ“ Reply