Converters or mixer next? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converters or mixer next?
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Converters or mixer next?

OK, API is comming out with a new 8 channel line mixer with summing buss. I was going to purchase a new apogee DA converter, as I have Apogee AD's which is a nice improvement over my Alesis HD. But I'm thinking the money might be better spent on the API, Using a Midas Venus console for drums at mix down into 2 channels of the API and using outboard eq's for the other 6 channels. I don't need other channels as I record mostly simple rock. I tried RME DA converters and found no significant difference between those and the Alesis HD's. So my question is would my sound improve more with the API or the Apogee DA's and just using the Midas?
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
API. It will retain it's value, and I believe improve your sound more than a convertor.
Old 7th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Converters or mixer next?

Quote:
Originally posted by Coldsnow
OK, API is comming out with a new 8 channel line mixer with summing buss. I was going to purchase a new apogee DA converter, as I have Apogee AD's which is a nice improvement over my Alesis HD. But I'm thinking the money might be better spent on the API, Using a Midas Venus console for drums at mix down into 2 channels of the API and using outboard eq's for the other 6 channels. I don't need other channels as I record mostly simple rock. I tried RME DA converters and found no significant difference between those and the Alesis HD's. So my question is would my sound improve more with the API or the Apogee DA's and just using the Midas?
Which DA?

Also why can't you sum on the Midas Venus?

The API summing mixer will not be cheap. It doesn't use the famous 2520 OP amp(I think its the 2510)if this is important for you.

In the new ad, 8-7600,7800, and 8200 will be close to $25K.

I would try to check one out before I buy.
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if your mixing analog...go with the converters..at least check em out....which u considering..the DA16 ??
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm considering the 16 channel Apogee DA converter, I forget the name of it. The API 8 channel line mixer with summing buss is going to be under 5K, I was told by API that anyways. It will have the Rick transformers and their op amp. Yes the Midas has what I perceive to be a nice sounding summing buss. Maybe the best in the under 20K lines. Although, I'll have to say, I've never worked on a 50K board to know what the difference would be. The person at API suggested that running a signal through their line mixer will sound very similar to their Legacy boards only without the extra's (eq, mic pre). THe API will have two aux sends, level, and pan control per channel. I do have a couple nice eq's to use on individual signals. THanks for the help guys.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Coldsnow
I'm considering the 16 channel Apogee DA converter, I forget the name of it. The API 8 channel line mixer with summing buss is going to be under 5K, I was told by API that anyways. It will have the Rick transformers and their op amp. Yes the Midas has what I perceive to be a nice sounding summing buss. Maybe the best in the under 20K lines. Although, I'll have to say, I've never worked on a 50K board to know what the difference would be. The person at API suggested that running a signal through their line mixer will sound very similar to their Legacy boards only without the extra's (eq, mic pre). THe API will have two aux sends, level, and pan control per channel. I do have a couple nice eq's to use on individual signals. THanks for the help guys.
That was my whole point.

You are going to buy something you've never heard just because it has the name API on it?

I suggest check it out first or book time on an API and get a feel for yourself.

You might discover that after running your tracks into the Midas and than the API is just over kill.

Hell for 5K you can modify your Midas probably and get it to sound pretty close.
Old 8th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
was gonna make a new thread but i think it fits here

any of y'all have opinions on/experience with the speck xtramix line mixer?

i need something to boost levels on synths & drummachines on the way into PT. at the moment i have an 8-Channel Mackie Noise Maker which has gotta go (basically i have to repatch anything i want to record)

if it could also act as a better summing bus than PT that would be extra nice.

i'm going to look at a midas venice board - a friend just recommended the Speck instead. both are around $3k. (dunno about the API but something tells me if they say it's gonna be under $5k it might be, oh, around $4800 or so?)

the xtramix seems to be designed almost exactly for my application -- but i am curious as to how it _sounds_ - clean, colored, noisy, quiet - anyone know? don't worry, i'll listen too, but would appreciate any comments as well...thanx

*late addition - there's a guy here in nyc selling a soundtracs solo console for $1250...so I guess I gotta go listen to that, too...if it sounds good, that seems like a pretty good price...unless there's maybe something I don't know?
Old 9th April 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I'd first invest in a great D to A for monitoring because it's entirely possible that mixing inside the box could sound better than mid-level converters and a mid-level analog mixer.

It's very easy to confuse monitoring/translation issues with upstream gear issues. Great monitoring keeps you from screwing up things that aren't broken. You can tell when a fader move is called for rather than an eq. or limiter setting change. I've learned this lesson the hard way many times.
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I'd first invest in a great D to A for monitoring because it's entirely possible that mixing inside the box could sound better than mid-level converters and a mid-level analog mixer.
Amen to great D to A, Bob. It's my very next investment. Even Stephen Paul's mic will have to take second place.

But deep in my heart, i know that the real #1 priority for me should be improving my room acoustics. About a year ago I spent $600 having Dave Blackmer draw me up blueprints for a complete do-it-myself acoustic makeover of my control room

And I've been procrastinating ever since. I just can't seem to force myself to shut down, pull everything out of the room, do the work, and reassemble everything. It's just too mind-boggling. And I'm just too damn lazy (and broke).

Oh well. I could always just frame the blueprints and hang them on the wall. Maybe they'd make a nice diffusor...

Meanwhile I'll just continue to fool myself into thinking a new D-to-A will be an acceptible substitute...
πŸ“ Reply