Quantcast
Recorded tone, Much difference between 2x12 and 4x12? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recorded tone, Much difference between 2x12 and 4x12?
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recorded tone, Much difference between 2x12 and 4x12?

I'm looking into buying the 2x12 Mesa Recto cab to cover the metal players.

Will it do the job or should I buy the 4x12?
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
depends on what kind of metal. recto 2x12 has assloads of low end (like, two metric assloads). but that heavy low end is also extremely slow in response. the recto "traditional" 4x12 sounds great and has exceptionally tight low end (pretty comparible to marshall 1960 series). the "standard" 4x12 is probably very similar to the recto 2x12 but I've never A/B'd them.

If your metal clients play nu-metal, get the recto 2x12, it's perfect. if they play thrash, black, deathmetal or some other fast technical variation, get a traditional 4x12, or at least the standard 4x12.
Old 5th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The best damn 2X12 out there is the THD Custom Ported 2X12 with their treated speakers. It has the power of a 4X12 but the bennefits of a 2X12. Everyone should have one that records rock.
Old 5th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...couldn't help but think of '...well, it's one louder.' when I saw the title... heh

I recently sold my Recto 2x12 after giving it every chance to prove itself (because it was finished in green snake skin) because I thought it was too flabby on the bass end.

I also used to have a Recto 4x12 which was a very different sounding cab to the 2x12, even though they were both fitted with the same speakers. The 4x12 had the low lo end that gives guitarists hard-ons, while with the 2x12 it always felt low was hi lo, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I don't think many metal players would like the 2x12, you'd be better off with a 4x12. I sold the 4x12 Recto because my Marshall 4x12's had me covered, cab wise (1960TV and standard 1960).
Old 6th July 2005 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
...couldn't help but think of '...well, it's one louder.' when I saw the title... heh

I recently sold my Recto 2x12 after giving it every chance to prove itself (because it was finished in green snake skin) because I thought it was too flabby on the bass end.

I also used to have a Recto 4x12 which was a very different sounding cab to the 2x12, even though they were both fitted with the same speakers. The 4x12 had the low lo end that gives guitarists hard-ons, while with the 2x12 it always felt low was hi lo, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I don't think many metal players would like the 2x12, you'd be better off with a 4x12. I sold the 4x12 Recto because my Marshall 4x12's had me covered, cab wise (1960TV and standard 1960).
I did a hard rock (metal at times) record some months ago where one player had the Mesa 4X12 and head, and the other had the Mesa 2X12 combo. When it came time for overdubs and solos, the 4X12 player decided to use the 2X12 because the tone we got from it was better. We did lift it off the floor with a MDF platform with several inches of foam glued to the bottom. Auralex actually makes one of these you can buy. The tone was at once full and clear, and didn't seem flabby at all. I've also had great luck with 4X12 cabs, but based on this experience, I certainly would not dismiss a 2X12. It was the winner here. For those keeping score, the guitars were various flavors of Fender, and the mics I don't remember exactly, but I think we had a U67 in the room that didn't get used much, a 421 up close that I don't think we used at all, and the ones that stood out were the Royer 121 and the AKG D112. The D112 worked really well with the 2X12 in particular.
Old 6th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The combo's are different beasts to the cabs, Jay.

The cabs are closed back and sound closed, the combo's are open-backed and sound open, go figure...

When I first bought the Recto 2x12 it was to go with a Trem-o-verb top I'd bought after being blown away by a friends Trem-o-verb combo. This is how I quickly discovered MESA cabs and combo's are quite different sonically.

As you rightly said, getting them off the floor helps a lot.

Interestingly, the only guitars I liked through the Recto 2x12 cab where Fenders. It did quite a good job of beefing up single coils, whereas humbuckers, particularly hi-gain metal humbuckers, would just turn to mud.
Old 7th July 2005 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is how I quickly discovered MESA cabs and combo's are quite different sonically.
Interesting observations - I haven't recorded the mesa 2x12 closed cab; just the 4x12, and the 2x12 combo which I liked. Closed back certainly would make a difference, and in this case it appears not to be a flattering one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone besides me like to tite mic all 4 speakers with different mics and blend to taste?
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo
The D112 worked really well with the 2X12 in particular.

That mic is VERY bright on guitar amps though (when the amp sounds good in the room). I'd prefer the relatively darker SM-7b more times than not FWIW.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
naw naw man you're trippin'

It's two louder !
πŸ“ Reply