The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
lawson L47MP / L47MP II opinions
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
lawson L47MP / L47MP II opinions

hello,

i have a manley gold transformless mic, but i'm thiking to buy the lawson L47.

Can some L47 user comment the mic ?

thanks
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It sounds great, is very well made and is fairly inexpensive for the quality. Fully variable pattern. Marketed as a U47 type. I have read that the L47 is a little light in the low end for a U47. I've never used a U47 but the L47 is not really a bottom heavy mic, so they may be right.

I don't know if it will be the sound you are looking for, but it does sound very good.

Will
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got my L47MP in Feb of 2000. I use it quite a bit. It's been very dependable. I started to hear a bit of noise in it and replaced the tube... Noise is gone.

I think it sounds great. My main use for it is as a vocal mic. One thing I like about the company is the folks there are very nice, very helpful with questions and etc.

I'd say get one and listen to it... If you like it, go for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff ➑️
I got my L47MP in Feb of 2000. I use it quite a bit. It's been very dependable. I started to hear a bit of noise in it and replaced the tube... Noise is gone.

I think it sounds great. My main use for it is as a vocal mic. One thing I like about the company is the folks there are very nice, very helpful with questions and etc.

I'd say get one and listen to it... If you like it, go for it.

That is really sound advice. if you want to try a mic such as this, hire or borrow one, get used to it for a few days, if you love it, go and get it. If not, nothing lost just a few hire bucks.

cheers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Love it. It's a quality mic and it's comparable to the U47 IMO. You should definitely try before you buy if you can but you really can't go wrong with this mic.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It is a really great mic.

Dean
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ditto on the above--if you can swing it get the fet body too for an extra $300 and then you have a smokin' and very flexible combo!

Can't say enough nice things about the Lawsons and their products.

It if matters to you, the only thing Gene doesn't make in house are the screws that attach the capsule.

With no dealers there is no dealer markup.

good luck!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Well built, good quality sound and good value.
But I've only used mine for outside bass drum recordings so far.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Well built, good quality sound and good value.
But I've only used mine for outside bass drum recordings so far.
and it smokes for that...

put a single ribbon above the snare about 3 to 4 feet up and you are well on your way if not done!

I use a beyer m160
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love mine. great for male vocals, sometimes female. Has a U47 "heft" but not exactly that sound. Variable patterns give different freq response, which is useful. Overall very "real" and 3-D sounding. Lacks that exaggerated condenser lispy high end that all the Chinese knockoffs have.

I think Gene Lawson will give you a 10 day trial period. Give him a call.

-R
Dan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's one of my favorites. The 251 is a great compliment to it, so I recommend the combo. It seems more than lacking low end as compared to a Neumann, it's a tad brighter, and has a different proximity effect. I know it's splitting hairs, but the old U47's I've used have an exaggerated proximity effect that reaches further than most other LDCs.

So what ends up happening is kind of application dependent. If you've got a singer that's kissing the microphone, you definitely won't have a lack of low end. I've yet to try swapping the tube with a NOS something or other, but I have the feeling that would be the icing on the cake, as the L47 is a tad harsher on the top the an old mic, but I suppose that's to be expected.

It's eff'n huge on FOK, or bass. (upright, or amped.) Sometimes too much so, so I swap for the fet body.
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
more opinions, please heh
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 16th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a pair of L47MPs and I love 'em! I've used them on female & male vocals, saxes, woodwinds, brass, violin, cello, guitar (even accordion- Van Dyke Parks!!) and every player that I've recorded has been impressed by them. Also, the Lawson company is a wonderful group of people.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You recorded Van Dyke Parks?! What a unique talent that guy is. Love his solo albums.

-R
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

this doesn't necessarily count - but i'm looking forward to buying an L47MP one of these days -
as i picked it consistently on lynn fuston's 3d audio mic shoot out cd...

...it seems to have all the qualities i like personally in a microphone...

since i was truly listening blind - this is more a result of hearing (than marketing, etc.)
...assuming i got it right, and lynn wasn't pulling my leg...heh

ok, now back to personal experience.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
can't say enough good things about the lawson--i love mine! sounds especially good on female vox and through API pres.
πŸ“ Reply