Quantcast
Can't get that Smooth 80s Funk Guitar-Sound (with Sound-Sample): I need Help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't get that Smooth 80s Funk Guitar-Sound (with Sound-Sample): I need Help
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Can't get that Smooth 80s Funk Guitar-Sound (with Sound-Sample): I need Help

Hi Gearslutz-Community,

I have a big question, because I can't find the sound I want..

I must made a instrumental (a P-Funk-, 80s Funk-, Hip Hop-, whatever- Mix) for a Singer and Rapper from California and I need a special (or maybe not special) guitar-sound..

first of all, here is the sound (the guitar is in the background):

zSHARE - test for pro engineers.mp3 (4 bars normal, and 4 bars with a highcut, that you hear the guitar)

The sound is so soft..not so much attack (maybe played with the thumb like Wes Montgomery) i hear a wha-wha and some delay, but i cant recreat the sound. i have many, many guitar effects and guitars at home, but I cant get that smooth sound. I would be very happy, when someone knows, how I can get that sound. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i hear a clean strat and another electric with something like a moog phaser on.

the sound your looking for defenately comes from the stlye of playing. if you cant get it recorded, drop me a mail i like playing
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine ➑️
Hi Gearslutz-Community,

I have a big question, because I can't find the sound I want..

I must made a instrumental (a P-Funk-, 80s Funk-, Hip Hop-, whatever- Mix) for a Singer and Rapper from California and I need a special (or maybe not special) guitar-sound..

first of all, here is the sound (the guitar is in the background):

zSHARE - test for pro engineers.mp3 (4 bars normal, and 4 bars with a highcut, that you hear the guitar)

The sound is so soft..not so much attack (maybe played with the thumb like Wes Montgomery) i hear a wha-wha and some delay, but i cant recreat the sound. i have many, many guitar effects and guitars at home, but I cant get that smooth sound. I would be very happy, when someone knows, how I can get that sound. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Hvae you tried to play it instead of useing samples?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
first of thanks for your help! no, its not only the playing, the attack is so smooth.. i thought he played it with flatwound strings, but even flatwounds strings dont create that sound.. i'm a guitar player for many years, i never use guitar samples. yes, i think its a strat too.. but the sound is a different than a normal recording. i sounds like a rhodes piano with a wah (but it isnt)..
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
relistening :

what do i hear ?

theres a rhodes & clavinet to my ears as well + 2 guitars as described earlier.
the guitar sound defenately comes from the playing imo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you tried playing it with a softer pick?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thx guys! yes, i tried to play it with the thumb and softer pic.. i think also the compressor is damping the attack and make more sustain.. and yes, maybe its a clavinet.. that that it is a rhodes with a phaser, but i song a clavinet is more realistic.
Old 11th July 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think the sound you are looking for is not an effect. its technique. you can get that 70s quacking soft attack type sound with just your pick. think along the lines of sloppy pinch harmonics. what you want to do is adjust you pick to where the pick point is pointing to the palm of your hand almost, kind of like your going to play with the side of the pick this will give you the soft attack. at virtually the same time your going to brush the string with the side of your thumb like you would doing pinch harmonics this is about like putting a low and high end filter on the strings and getting that kind of wah effect and quack like a duck all most, and its in perfect time with your playing. you can adjust the effect by using your index and middle finger to rotate the pick and mix between more pick and more thumb hitting the string. hope this helps.i know its an old post but some one might need this
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…