Which mic after C414 & SM7? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which mic after C414 & SM7?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Which mic after C414 & SM7?

Hi there, I'm wondering what would be a good addition to compliment two mics at both ends of the spectrum; a C414XLII and SM7B.

I record drums occasionally (however they are very important to me), and vocals and guitars more regularly.

I do also have a 57, 58, an Audix i5 and a Thomann SDC pair which has actually served me very well. Oh and a Thomann RB500 ribbon which works nicely as a mono room. So I can record a drum kit but it's kind of basic and low budget.

My first instinct is to spend on something versatile and boutique-y, like an AEA R84 or another LDC such as a Peluso 2247.

But I've also been thinking about my lack of dynamic mics such as 421s and RE20. I can't imagine spending more on SDC's at the moment.

Any advice, as always, will be much appreciated.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Normally, I'd be suggesting a good SDC pair. But, you have one pair that I am not familiar with and say you don't want any more.

For dynamic mics, the Heil mics (PR30 and PR40) are probably the ones to get.

Other mics worth looking at are the Naked Eye (Roswellite) and SE Titan.

-tINY

Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There's a dual-cap CAD VX2 in the classifieds.

That's a great mic (I own three), and will give you a VERY different color/timbre than the 414xlii (which I also own).

A Beyerdynamic m88 should also be on your short list. You can use it all over the place.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo ➑️

That's a great mic (I own three)
So we used to be two of the only guys around who owned a pair, now you've surpassed me!

War
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
So we used to be two of the only guys around who owned a pair, now you've surpassed me!

War
When I bought my second, it came with an additional VX2 (missing a cap and PSU). I've replaced the missing cap, and am in the process of replacing the PSU. Then I'll probably sell it
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Normally, I'd be suggesting a good SDC pair. But, you have one pair that I am not familiar with and say you don't want any more.

For dynamic mics, the Heil mics (PR30 and PR40) are probably the ones to get.

Other mics worth looking at are the Naked Eye (Roswellite) and SE Titan.

-tINY
Heh, well the reason for that is that I've used KM84s as overheads, and just felt they were really bland and my budget ones do essentially the same job...

However I might be open to Earthworks or similar as they seem different.

Naked Eye is a great idea, over and above AEA?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo ➑️

That's a great mic (I own three), and will give you a VERY different color/timbre than the 414xlii (which I also own).

A Beyerdynamic m88 should also be on your short list. You can use it all over the place.
Thanks, I've never used a CAD before. I'll look into it.

M88- yes it is on my shortlist, thanks!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Earthworks cardioid SDCs are truly excellent. They pick up an uncolored and very detailed representation of the source. They are really good for overheads if the cymbals and chimes sound good as is on a kit.

I haven't played with ribbons much, but the Crowley and Tripp Roswellite looks revolutionary and the Naked Eye is dual voiced. Seems like a winner to me (if you have a good sized live room).

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a vintage U47 with VF 14 tube
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It' funny cause 3 of the 4 mics that is was going to suggest, you put on 1st post...

so there's your basic +1 for the RE20, MD421, and AEA R84

The one missing on this list is the MD441
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud ➑️
It' funny cause 3 of the 4 mics that is was going to suggest, you put on 1st post...

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance.

mdjice, I'll get the the vintage U47 after those!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't really knock the R84, I just pulled the trigger on one. If you do drums a lot, I would suggest looking at a stereo pair for overheads that's going to be versatile enough to give you stereo on other instruments. Check out the Rode NT-4, my favorite drum overhead. Amazing on acoustic guitar also! I've got plenty of sound clips of the NT-4 in action, let me know if you want to hear them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud ➑️

I was going there too. Any of those 3 would be a welcome addition. I'd probably go for a 421 or ribbon b4 the re20. But that's just me.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
beyer m160
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak ➑️
beyer m160
Obviously a nice mic, but what's the reason you recommend it above all others please?
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III ➑️
Hi there, I'm wondering what would be a good addition to compliment two mics at both ends of the spectrum; a C414XLII and SM7B.

I record drums occasionally (however they are very important to me), and vocals and guitars more regularly.

I do also have a 57, 58, an Audix i5 and a Thomann SDC pair which has actually served me very well. Oh and a Thomann RB500 ribbon which works nicely as a mono room. So I can record a drum kit but it's kind of basic and low budget.

My first instinct is to spend on something versatile and boutique-y, like an AEA R84 or another LDC such as a Peluso 2247.

But I've also been thinking about my lack of dynamic mics such as 421s and RE20. I can't imagine spending more on SDC's at the moment.

Any advice, as always, will be much appreciated.
ADK Condenser Microphones, Class A Condenser Studio Mic, Live and Broadcast, Retro-Sonic Mics, Project Studio Microphone
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
grab a pearlman
hrn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you want your cymbals to sound like the gold color they have, look at AKG C480 together with a clean sounding preamp.

The OH mics are very important I think and I would never use a preamp or a mic pair putting a carpet over the kit.

It's also important that the pair of mics and the preamp can take the dynamics of a drum kit.

I always use a preamp called Marenius when I want it to sound as it is. Made in Sweden....(it has a nice price too)

Lively up yourself
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you like c414 get yourself a ck12 capsule upgrade and buy one of the old transformers on ebay which where used in the old good models.

or just lol find a c414eb under 1500 dollar this days

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III ➑️

πŸ“ Reply