Quantcast
John McLaughlin Live Setup: Cheap but effective - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
John McLaughlin Live Setup: Cheap but effective
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Interesting . . . personally I was fairly unimpressed the with Return To Forever reunion . . . at least compared to the old days. They never really 'buned' like they used to . . . had some cool moments though. Zawinul was a monster wasn't he? *smile*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
I was amazed when I saw Return to Forever last summer. I do not think there is any hope of seeing the Mahavishnu Orchestra. However, I will be seeing John McLaughlin and Chick Corea with the Five Peace Band this spring. It's really too bad that Joe Zawinul is no longer with us. Wouldn't it have been great to have been able to see the big three of fusion one last time?
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
If Jeff Beck ever goes on tour playing through a laptop, that will be it for me.
The last time I saw Beck live, about three years ago it was, he played through a stack of Marshalls and the sound was KILLING and very loud, absolutely fantastic! But Beck has actually made a record that was mostly POD, I think it was the one called 'Jeff' but I'm not sure. I've read an interview at that time and he was cursing the POD, said he never will use one again and though the playing is 100% Jeff Beck you really hear the POD-coloration on that album.....

As for a Mahavishnu Orchestra (Mark I) reunion, that would be the ultimate. I truly believe that they could pick up where they left off, if only some personal stuff could be worked out.... AFAIN, Rick Laird is a photographer now and doesn't play bass anymore but I'm sure he would be back in shape in no time. I don't say this lightly but I would take a Mahavishnu reunion over a Led Zeppelin one if given the choice, best band ever!!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I saw that Beck tour . . . he was great, great tone. Jennifer was a bad MF too. If memory serves, he did one record with some guy where he played a bunch of 'stuff (pieces) and some guy played to it . . . put it all together in PT with a pod etc (one you are talking about I believe). I can only imagine how much Beck hates that one. It's my least favorite.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
I saw that Beck tour . . . he was great, great tone. Jennifer was a bad MF too.
I saw that tour too and it was excellent but then last one I saw was with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums just before Tal Wilkenfeld joined. They were seriously killing and played all the 70ies stuff. They even did Mahavsihnu's 'Resolution', probably one of my absolute fave compositions anywhere!

A friend of mine travels to London on business very often and last year he happenend to eat at a restaurant when he suddendly realized that Jeff Beck was sitting at the table besides him. He finally went over to get an autograph and he said that Jeff was extremely friendly, actually chatting with him for quite a while, no trace of 'star behaviour' at all......

What I really dig about Jeff is that he constantly is getting better, even considering his staggering achievements even back in the 60ies.

And to get back on topic, check out the version of 'Django' that John Mc Laughlin did with Jeff Beck on 'The Promise', it's really good!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
I was amazed when I saw Return to Forever last summer. I do not think there is any hope of seeing the Mahavishnu Orchestra. However, I will be seeing John McLaughlin and Chick Corea with the Five Peace Band this spring. It's really too bad that Joe Zawinul is no longer with us. Wouldn't it have been great to have been able to see the big three of fusion one last time?
Joe was a great guy and he's missed. He was central to the design of the new Rhodes pianos and helped immeasurably. We really wanted him to see the new pianos finished, but he checked out early.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
Interesting . . . personally I was fairly unimpressed the with Return To Forever reunion . . . at least compared to the old days. They never really 'buned' like they used to . . . had some cool moments though.
As a relative youngster (27) who never had the pleasure of seeing them back in the day, I was absolutely blown away when I saw them in Dallas last year. It was truly one of the greatest experiences in my life, so I can't imagine what it would have been like in their prime. I was most impressed by Stanley Clarke.

Anyway, I would do terrible, unspeakable things to see the Mahavishnu reunited...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➑️
Still, modelers don't really work for me.
Guys like Pete Anderson and John McLaughlin who use them get an "OK" tone, but it isn't the "real deal."
Ya, I hear you. I've been doing Pete's guitar stuff since before Dwight Yoakum, all those records have his modified Tele custom with my on board preamps and the reworked Deluxe Reverb. The Amp farm stuff doesn't cut it for me. Dwight also has a custom paisley baritone tele with the circuits installed. That's a stange yet cool guitar. Tina Marie also has those circuits in her guitars.

Pete did do a demo at Namm and played through an Orange amp. He's now playing a hollow body with P-90's. I told him to check out my JA-90 ash/mahogony tele with P-90s as it's similar. Tele feel with P-90 sounds, and it's a hollowbody Tele!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
otobianki74's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I am dancing at the feet of my lord. all is bliss, all is bliss...

oto
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Joe was a great guy and he's missed. He was central to the design of the new Rhodes pianos and helped immeasurably. We really wanted him to see the new pianos finished, but he checked out early
Oh, dude, just stop it. When the 73 or 88 AM's show up in the stores, let me know. Until then, I don't want to hear another word about them.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #41
SSL UK
 
samw@SSL's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️

Anyone up for a Mahavishnu re-union tour?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrade
Yes!
But sadly the drummer I spoke to last summer said while he would be up for it there was no way the keyboard player could stomach it, (check the writing credits on the Mahavishnu albums for clues as to the long standing grudge).

The bass player quit playing afterwards and the Violin player may be up for it. But of course this is Mahavishnu I. Perhaps a Mahavishnu II (Michael Walden, Ralf on basss, Gayle on keys etc) could be done.

I would kill to hear Apocalypse live with a big orchestra. Actually the live recordings of that feature some great guitar ring mod work which is a tone of John's I quite like.

Sam
Solid State Logic

P.S I always use "Dance of the Maya" when trying out new musicians
"Alright lads 20/8 then blues in 5/4, ok?"
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
amost's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It'd have to be Jan Hammer & Cobham...oh well - nice to dream.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Coyoteous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Yes!
But sadly the drummer I spoke to last summer said while he would be up for it there was no way the keyboard player could stomach it, (check the writing credits on the Mahavishnu albums for clues as to the long standing grudge).

The bass player quit playing afterwards and the Violin player may be up for it. But of course this is Mahavishnu I. Perhaps a Mahavishnu II (Michael Walden, Ralf on basss, Gayle on keys etc) could be done.

I would kill to hear Apocalypse live with a big orchestra. Actually the live recordings of that feature some great guitar ring mod work which is a tone of John's I quite like.

Sam
Solid State Logic

P.S I always use "Dance of the Maya" when trying out new musicians
"Alright lads 20/8 then blues in 5/4, ok?"
I saw MII twice... Apocalypse (no orch., but a string section) and Visions of the Emerald Beyond - all great! I wish I'd seen MI. MII, to me, is a little more dated with the borderline funk/disco thing. MI is timeless, as is the original Shakti.

BTW, Apocalypse: they were the opening act for Boz Skaggs followed by The Guess Who as headliner. Don't get me wrong, the other bands were good, but...
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I saw the John McLaughlin/Chick Corea 5 Peace Band the other night, and well, incredible show (man, Brian Blade has got to be the most melodic drummer I've ever heard). However, I didn't think John's tone was all that great. He had a sort of a flat tone with a light fuzz to it - kind of like what Pat Martino was using in the mid-70's, but not as clear. It sat OK enough with the rest of the group, but just didn't seem to have that much energy to it for soloing.
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
i was at that show too. JM's tone was awful- just thin and fake. he was constantly getting buried by the rest of the band. Brian Blade stole the show. unspeakably musical and adventurous. just throwing bombs all over the place.
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Really looking forward to catching JM over here - if he's still totin' Amplitube software to get his sound then that could be a real problem...

He's still one of my all time fave muso's though - apart from his phenom technique, his ability to capture and articulate powerful and subtle emotions through his instrument constantly amazes and inspires me - some of his harmonic voicing and movement is just on another planet.

Go Johnny Go go go.
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
  #47
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Saw them on Wednesday....

Guitar tone was blah....consistent, but consistently bland.

I enjoyed the show, but confess that McLaughlin's playing kind of left me cold.

And I'm a big fan of his 1970s work.

Enjoyable show, though the songs went on too long for me.

Philo
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
once a roadie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Saw John and Chic last night (last show of their world tour) at the Flynn Theatre in Burlington VT from the 3rd row...Christian McBride on bass...just sick stuff...anyways, John had no guitar amp...just some pedals going through the stage monitors and possibly the one bose stick on the back of the stage. Did not seem to matter he had no amp...so good...
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
aleatoric's Avatar
i love john mclaughlin but very much prefer is old raw gibson->marshal setup. his guitar sound know is kinda thin and does not have the impact of the old mahavishnu stuff. he still plays extremely well, however his last few albums have not really done it for me. the nylon acoustic one he did a few years back is really nice though. my goals beyond, birds of fire, bitches brew are classics.
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
i recently went back to check out some of the old 70s stuff with miles.

man...his whole "thing" was so happening back then.....tone, nasty phrasing, unpredictable, spare....so killing.

somehow the band back then was simply scary in a way that his music now is not....even tho his skills are still top of the line.

his old tone was cutting and raw. really transparent. you could hear his fingers and pick working the tone. that is not the case any more. he has a much safer and digital tone now...so if he makes a flub it does not stick out like in the old days...unfortunately when he is totally burning (which is 90% of the time even now) that does not burn as brightly in a sonic sense.
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
  #51
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I saw the Peace Band last month. But this band had Vinnie on drums. Absolutely stunning.

McLaughlin's sound was wanting -- but that didn't bother me so much. I'm not really a huge McLaughlin fan any more. I used to love him in his Mahavishnu days, and Shakti. But this group, for me, was about Chick, Vinnie, McBride and Garrett.

I think it's interesting, and maybe a bit telling, that some folks are so anal about SOUND. For some of these guys, like McLaughlin, it's about THE NOTES, so much more than the sound. I fall into that category too. The amp, and strings, and pedals, and speakers are all a distant secondary category. If he can feel comfortable playing in a simplified setup, and have control of it, from night to night, and not have to worry about the added cost of cartage or rentals, man! That's great! But most guitarists are interested in THE TONE, more than the NOTES and intentions behind the notes, and ways of playing THE NOTES. Nothing is wrong with either one, I just thought I'd point out what I perceive to be a distinction.

A great player can play out of a tin can, and if he's playing great stuff, I'm there in a heartbeat.
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
I saw the Peace Band last month. But this band had Vinnie on drums. Absolutely stunning.

McLaughlin's sound was wanting -- but that didn't bother me so much. I'm not really a huge McLaughlin fan any more. I used to love him in his Mahavishnu days, and Shakti. But this group, for me, was about Chick, Vinnie, McBride and Garrett.

I think it's interesting, and maybe a bit telling, that some folks are so anal about SOUND. For some of these guys, like McLaughlin, it's about THE NOTES, so much more than the sound. I fall into that category too. The amp, and strings, and pedals, and speakers are all a distant secondary category. If he can feel comfortable playing in a simplified setup, and have control of it, from night to night, and not have to worry about the added cost of cartage or rentals, man! That's great! But most guitarists are interested in THE TONE, more than the NOTES and intentions behind the notes, and ways of playing THE NOTES. Nothing is wrong with either one, I just thought I'd point out what I perceive to be a distinction.

A great player can play out of a tin can, and if he's playing great stuff, I'm there in a heartbeat.

What If he plays through a distressor? heh

I'm sorry I just had to... I know what you mean though!
Old 3rd May 2009 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
I think it's interesting, and maybe a bit telling, that some folks are so anal about SOUND.
Well, I'm 'anal' about it because music IS sound. I don't see it as an intellectual exercise where you enjoy the skill and invention of the player but rather as a visceral and emotional experience.

If both things are combined -like say Mc Laughlin did with Miles and early Mahavishnu- then you have a real winner. And I think that's the discussion here and I must say I too was diappointed when I finally saw Mc Laughlin in concert for the first time about 8 years ago with Remember Shakti. He played an ES-335 through a laptop and the sound was weak and devoid of any 'edge' which is strange because Mc Laughlin was always about deadly attack and precrision, ESPECIALLY with Shakti. I mean, imagine Ravi Shakar performing on a Godin MIDI-Sitar and you get the idea......

Mc Laughlin never had a 'beautiful' sound in say the Eric Johnson tradition but it was very stimulating in the past. if you listen to something like 'Emergency' with Tony Williams or his work on Jack Bruce's 'Things we like' (a recent discovery for me) there's an almost 'punk'-edge to his tone that I find totally appealing.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the Mahavishnu Mark I reunion where Mc Laughlin will go back to a stack of Marshalls at '11' with Billy Cobham going full-blast behind him....it can't be beat!
Old 3rd May 2009 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid ➑️
What If he plays through a distressor? heh

I'm sorry I just had to... I know what you mean though!
LOL.
Old 3rd May 2009 | Show parent
  #55
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➑️
Well, I'm 'anal' about it because music IS sound. I don't see it as an intellectual exercise where you enjoy the skill and invention of the player but rather as a visceral and emotional experience.
I really don't think music IS sound. To me music is a concept that uses sound. For me music, the western music I love primarily and try to excel at, uses twelve notes, with some variation, and time/rhythms, various subdivisions of those rhythms, and a harmonic system based on variation of the 12 notes, plus the aesthetic creativity, mainly, of an artist(s).

For me, you could simply write the notes down and I could like them or not. They could be performed in various ways, by various musicians, under various conditions, with various instruments and sound systems, and I would like it probably just about the same, depending primarily on the performance skills of the artist, as opposed to the performance of an amplifier.

But people are different. As I said I'm not arguing that one way is better ot worse than another. I'm just pointing out a distinction.
Old 3rd May 2009 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
And I would add to that that the emotional performance abilities of the player is part and parcel of the above. But I don't see the emotional abilities of the player as NECESSARILY or primarily falling in the domain of the amplification. I think it lies in the fingers, heart, soul and mind of the player. The sound that moves me mostly, comes directly from the player, whether it's being played on an old beat up no name acoustic guitar or with a Dumble on a suped up Strat.
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
aleatoric's Avatar
John needs to start playing with an amp and he will own! Just him, his mind/technique and his guitar/amp, its all over from there!
Old 12th May 2010 | Show parent
  #58
SSL UK
 
samw@SSL's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Saw John + 4th Dimension last night in London.

No more Laptop!

A Mesa V-Twin pedal and an MXR Carbon delay and a big yellow MXR Stereo chorus.

No amp. Just DI.

Soundwise? Certainly felt more "organic" than the laptop solution but maybe an illusion (does that word work for sound?)

Great gig really cookin for over two hours.

Looks like he is moving back to a more traditional setup, who knows maybe an amp next?

Sam
Solid State Logic
Old 12th May 2010 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Mad John's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Saw John + 4th Dimension last night in London.

No more Laptop!

A Mesa V-Twin pedal and an MXR Carbon delay and a big yellow MXR Stereo chorus.

No amp. Just DI.


Looks like he is moving back to a more traditional setup, who knows maybe an amp next?

Sam
Solid State Logic


What is wrong with this man? V-twin?
Old 12th May 2010 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Guru
 
Musiclab's Avatar
I loved the original band, I saw them 4 times and was even at the "Between
Nothingness and Eternity shows, I heard that laptop tone on the crossroads dvd, I thought it was sad. cmon John, get a real amp
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 138 views: 60513
Avatar for Neddy Seagoon
Neddy Seagoon 1st April 2021
replies: 62 views: 28080
Avatar for lukesquared
lukesquared 25th June 2006
replies: 265 views: 54050
Avatar for Peter - IK
Peter - IK 21st March 2013
replies: 1416 views: 117892
Avatar for musicman691
musicman691 6 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump