Quantcast
OH - MY - GOD - biggest invention in sound since speakers ! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OH - MY - GOD - biggest invention in sound since speakers !
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OH - MY - GOD - biggest invention in sound since speakers !

this guy invented some kind of directional sound transmitter.
sound is transmitted on a straight line, just like a laser. if you ears are not in that line, you won't hear a thing.

no matter how far you are from the transmitter, there's no signal degradation as the sound is "formed" next to you ear.

this technology will soon be mass produced

watch this !

this is mind-blowing
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Chuck Norris?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
"Or their rap music... or whatever."
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
this technology has been around for over a decade now, used by the military to communicate in the field, and to confuse the enemy.

i first read about it in, iirc, newsweek, and the author was predicting things like vending machines that knew your name and buying preferences, and spoke directly to you, in a voice only you could hear, advertising the product(s) you're most likely to buy.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mad...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this is damn futuristic

imagine the new monitors we could get. you would not even need room treatment !

also, a singer wouldn't need headphones

at school, kids would be able to listen to music while in class ...

you could send some death metal in the ears of someone at the other end of the street

this is completely mad !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I remember hearing about this tech in the late 90's, but nothing ever came of it.

Maybe they've further refined it to actually be used in more than just military applications??
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This technology has been around for a while now, I remember my professor preaching about it almost a decade ago on how great it is and he was pretty much giving the same uses for it that was mentioned in the video but it's really great that they are starting to implement it. It probably won't find any success in terms of data transmission that he mentioned because light is still way faster than sound but in other areas it will certainly open up a lot of things.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pretty cool!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
pretty old. They can do this with video images as well: one screen - different angles give you different clips. I have seen demo's where they link these screens to different audio using this technique (the OP posted).
They had a simple jazz band setup and every player had a different camera, thus a different speaker. When you moved around the screen you would see a different band player and would only hear his intrument part. Pretty neato!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well that explains that voice that only I can hear. How a dog with a flemish accent learned to use one of the sound beams is beyond me though.

Time to put the tin foil back on my head.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool and Scarry!!!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Built into every Maybach

This is built into every Maybach for every passenger, where they call it the cone of sound...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really cool, and it looks like the technology will become cheap enough for lots of manufacturers to start testing.
I'd heard of it years ago but it's the first time I've ever seen one in practice.
These things I imagine will sound a lot more like listening through headphones than speakers. Better start practicing some mixes on headphones!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Pretty cool indeed ! That guy owe to invent a mic with that technology !
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
that's so interesting!

i want one.
Vum
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They use this technology in Borders Bookstores where they have their flat-screens throughout the store. If you stand in front of the screen, you hear the audio in both ears. If you shift your weight, it gets really phasey and nauseating.
TRA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum ➑️
They use this technology in Borders Bookstores where they have their flat-screens throughout the store. If you stand in front of the screen, you hear the audio in both ears. If you shift your weight, it gets really phasey and nauseating.

Yup. They have these at Meijer (grocery store) in the checkout aisle.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
omg... this is crazy! you cant even imagine how soon it will be used for advertisement! you'll be going through the streets or through your supermarket and will be getting overflooded with audio every time you pass another rack: "mmmh these are so delicioΒ°)&/=$!&Β§$" ... "the new cornflakes! now with banana flav&(Β§/)%$" ... "buy on get one free!" you'll need some "focused audio remover ear plugs" soon!
this is a big step towards the crazy future we now from blade runner and ****.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's sick, this guy must ****ing billionaire!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Low frequency response is poor, which removes possibility at the moment for many music applications, but does work well for speech and such.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sh*t! And I just bought new monitors for my CR.

How long before we all have to scrap all of our "antique" gear?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This would be alot more interesting if its main uses were not for selling people things and the millitary...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
niiiice
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhavepatiencex ➑️
This would be alot more interesting if its main uses were not for selling people things and the millitary...
These are the only two reasons that anything gets invented, apart from getting laid.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalhotdog ➑️
Well that explains that voice that only I can hear. How a dog with a flemish accent learned to use one of the sound beams is beyond me though.

Time to put the tin foil back on my head.

How we are going to know who is having a "Real" Schizophrenic episode is beyond me.

I could sure have fun with my christian friends and pretend that I am god talking to them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think that the next logical step is to remove the human ears at birth and replace them with a D to A converter that directly sends electrical pulses to the brain. Just imagine if you could mute the audio from any numbers of metadata filters...

Say you live out in the country and the sounds of ducks really annoys you.

FILTER -(ducks)

Or you live in the city and want to get rid of traffic sound, except the sound of your own car, in case your kids try to steal it in the middle of the night and go for a joyride....

FILTER -(all_ICE_vehicles: exception VIN_num_230172471245)

or if your a high school student and you decide that you want to filter out completely a certain number of kids you don't like and your parents from the hours of 8 AM to 7:30AM the next day... just to get that half hour brief to catch anything really important... your own real world ignore list.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast ➑️
Sh*t! And I just bought new monitors for my CR.

How long before we all have to scrap all of our "antique" gear?

And then buy it all back at a premium fifteen years later when it becomes "vintage"!
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhavepatiencex ➑️

wait... what else is there?!

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this technology was patented/invented in the early 1930s.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…