Anyone use compressors in a chain? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone use compressors in a chain?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Anyone use compressors in a chain?

Hey guys and gals,

Does anyone use this technique? whats the general idea as far as which in the series is softer/harder? particularely on vox.

I'm using waves renaissance compressors

thanks,

MC
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOIST101 โžก๏ธ
Hey guys and gals,

Does anyone use this technique? whats the general idea as far as which in the series is softer/harder? particularely on vox.

I'm using waves renaissance compressors

thanks,

MC
Hey MC- given no one has replied I will chime in with what I do-may not be applicable to you. I generally track vocals using 2 hardware compressors in series- first a "hard" FET at about 5 to 1 ratio medium fast- taking off about 5db on peaks only. Then a "soft" optical at 2 to 1 ratio slow attack with about 5 to 7 db. The first faster compressor tames somewhat the peaks, and the second gives a general compression boost.

I like to commit nowadays in tracking and do the heavy moulding with hardware- in mix using plugins after tracking vocals I generally only need to use 1 plugin compressor up to say 5 to 6 db- as a polish - for instance too soft I may use UAD LA3A, or too hard I may use a UAD LA2A.

For me- if I need to chain 2 plugin compressors or more on vocals I have f**#@d up on the tracking stage.

Dont know if that is the input you wanted

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The RVox is an awesome compressor for vox. I've surpassed it with newer and better comps, but I almost always come back to that Rvox for certain vocal tracks.

Just hit it hard for pop rock.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks for the tips guys

MC
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sometimes I compress a track, and sometimes I limit a track, and sometimes I do both. And sometimes I do neither. Sometimes I run the track through a compressor or limiter with only a bare minimum of dynamics change because I'm using the device solely for its tone-shaping ability.

So there's many reasons to use a compressor or a limiter on an individual track:

To compress (squeezing the dynamics range of most of the entire track).
To limit (lowering the peaks only, without affecting the rest of the note).
To alter the envelope (to get more "punch" or even a more "rubbery" bass sound).
To alter the tone (some compressors add "their sound").
To intensify the rhythm (by altering the release time so it grooves with the song).
To bring the track to the front of the mix (without making it louder).

Rock and pop songs can handle (and often require) several of the above techniques. So some tracks might go through 2 or 3 different compressors and limiters. But some tracks don't need any at all.
๐Ÿ“ Reply