Quantcast
IPR? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IPR?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
IPR?

Institute of production & recording, Anyone know anything about it?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
in downtown minneapolis. started by tom tucker and some other people. lot of cool teachers. i never attended (or any school for that matter), but i get lots of intern requests from graduates.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So the guy told me there that they're "considered to be the best."

If you're going to go to one of these schools, is this one worth it? He said people quit fullsail to go there sometimes.

Anyone have anything to say?
Old 14th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I am considering attending here. What is studio time like there? Just wondering if it is hard to get time in the studio? I know you can reserve them in blocks of 4 hours. Can you do 2 consecutive blocks in each of the studios? Thanks.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I attended as the second class in the schools history maybe 8 or so years ago. I thought it sucked pretty bad. On multiple occasions things were taught incorrectly. A few of the teachers had just left other recording schools and began teaching what they had just learned at the same level. I purchased books that were never ever referenced or even talked about more often than not. Basically it was just a mess. Granted, I was the second class there and it was just starting out. But with that said.. what do you think you would get if you sweeped up a bunch of musicians and threw them into a school with no prior teaching experience and no hard and fast pre-requisite's for employment? I presume it's a little more together now.

Honestly though I think audio engineering schools are a big pyramid scheme. IPR opened up based on what largely seemed to be a lack of jobs for musicians/engineers. They got jobs to train more people for jobs.. at schools. So if you'd like to teach audio engineering.. go to an audio engineering/production school. If you'd like to be a musician/engineer.. pick up some books, read everything on this site and get an internship. I learned a lot more from this site than I ever did from IPR.

Oh yeah, they also kicked me out of that school because i "didn't take it seriously enough". I recall that both subsequent studio internships and jobs i had post IPR cited being kicked out of IPR as one of the reasons they liked me. That's kind of the state of things in a lot of places around here.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for your reply. Ya there is no guarantee of a job. I think their teachers are their strong point now, because of so many studio closures over the past five years, they all end up teaching.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't know anything about that facility but I do know something about for-profit schools and the tendency for many of them to be basically a sales organ for loans that can put a huge burden on the back of those bent on entering an already, crowded, shook-out, increasingly low-balled field.

Think not just twice but long and hard about going deeply into debt in order to prepare for entry into a field where many folks you may be trying to work for came up 'the hard way' and may not put any much faith in your educational credentials at all and where there are tens of thousands of others who may have less or more experience and knowledge but who are willing to work for less than you will need to pay back those loans.

Loving music, loving gear, loving recording -- it's not enough. You also have to be tough, competitive, and have a thick skin when it comes to a business that often ends up alienating those who have worked hard to break into it. I thought I was cynical and tough enough when I got into the biz. But after not even a decade, I was all too happy to go back to the business world -- where people aren't always trying to scam, exploit, or abuse you and where you don't have to continually deal with the unrealistic dreams of the clients who (in their minds) are paying you to try to make those dreams come true.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
amen
Old 15th October 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Mcnally Smith College of music is a much better choice. I toured IPR and mcnally and was much more impressed with mcnally. Im 4th semester now and all I hear are horror stories about IPR.
Old 15th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
honestly, all those schools are a joke. Each one has a few good teachers but not at all worth the price. Specially when your finish and the bills start rolling in and you are still with out work! (You'd be better to find one of them and pay them 20% of the bill to teach ya.)

That's why those guys are teaching because there aren't many other jobs out there. I know many of them and they have told me that! I had one tell me that just yesterday. Its a steady gig for them. Makes sense in a dieing industry. The shady part is the government funding they get. They have to have a job placement % in the field in order to get the funding. That's why so many ex students get hired to work at your new music school!

Minneapolis has I think 6 music schools now and how many studios that are all about to go out of business (or turn into a school). How much music business really happens here. Just something to think about. keep in mind, I have never got a job because someone asked if I had a piece of paper that said I went to school for music.
πŸ“ Reply