Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2009 Guitar Gods?

Why is it that every time I investigate a "newer" guitar player that is called a god, a genius or the greatest I am always left saying, "That's been done to death and it's been done better by countless other players."

I won't name names, but I just checked out a certain current "god" and he was basically playing sloppy versions of the same licks that every one I knew was playing in clubs back in the '70s!
It was played like the lower tier guys played.
Nostalgia?

Is there anyone bringing anything new to the table anywhere?

Granted, I am 53 and I have played guitar almost all my life, but c'mon!
Maybe my circle of players down here in Texas was an anomaly and a law unto itself, but I don't think so.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Nothing new under the sun I guess...I wonder what can be done that no one has done before with a guitar? I am stumped. It's cool people at least recognize people who can play again, but yeah it's been done before. Maybe the industry is suffering because there hasn't really been anything exciting/ innovative in rock music. Buckethead is one guy that I think is keeping it interesting.

I've experimented with a combo of guitar/midi type stuff. The new roland stuff is interesting. Never really like it though. I am in search of a tone like no one else, but I always sound the same.....I should just give up or commit suicide. Either way.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Take a look if you haven't already at Jeff Loomis of "Nevermore" maybe not the originality you are looking for but he has some tasty speed.

Loomis is the blonde

YouTube - Nevermore: Chris Broderick & Jeff Loomis Guitar Solo Duel

Last edited by Grumblefoot; 11th February 2009 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: added link
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefoot ➡️
Take a look if you haven't already at Jeff Loomis of "Nevermore" maybe not the originality you are looking for but he has some tasty speed.

Loomis is the blonde

YouTube - Nevermore: Chris Broderick & Jeff Loomis Guitar Solo Duel
Wow....A duel indeed! I respect anybody who has take the time to learn guitar like that. Very symphonic.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
They both seemed like Paul Gilbert rip offs to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
John Petrucci
Buckethead
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnicula ➡️
I guess she's more of a 2008 goddess, but I remain in awe of and delighted by Marnie Stern:

Marnie Stern on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
She is interesting indeed. Thanks for the link!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
NOT, I repeat, NOT John Mayer.

You're not allowed to be a guitar god when you write songs like "Your Body is Wonderland".

By the way, that Rolling Stone cover with John Mayer, John Frusciante, and Derek Trucks is downright disgusting. **** a bunch of that.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Joe Bonamassa
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatrax ➡️
I don't hear it at all, much more like Yngwie than Gilbert IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatrax ➡️
I've never heard Paul that sloppy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, I'ver heard Satriani since "Surfin' With the Alien" came out..... great player with a over-processed sound.
Steve Vai, saw him with Zappa in '82.... a great player.... not a "new" guy.
John Petrucci.... good player, but not a "new" guy.
Buckethead... the jury is out with him although I like the bucket, but I don't understand the numchucks stuff.

I watched a video of Frusciante, Mayer and Trucks playing at the Rolling Stone cover jam.
Trucks is quite a good little player.... he knows it and they know it.
Mayer... not bad, but kinda' tame.
Frusciante... doesn't know he's not in their league.

Also, Derek Trucks is A-OK by me because he has a Neve 8068.
I know Frusciante is analog minded, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
NOT, I repeat, NOT John Mayer.

You're not allowed to be a guitar god when you write songs like "Your Body is Wonderland".
Although I wouldn't call him a "guitar god", on his Try! album he is quite a good bluesy SRV-type player.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➡️
Yes, I'ver heard Satriani since "Surfin' With the Alien" came out..... great player with a over-processed sound.
Steve Vai, saw him with Zappa in '82.... a great player.... not a "new" guy.
John Petrucci.... good player, but not a "new" guy.
Buckethead... the jury is out with him although I like the bucket, but I don't understand the numchucks stuff.

I watched a video of Frusciante, Mayer and Trucks playing at the Rolling Stone cover jam.
Trucks is quite a good little player.... he knows it and they know it.
Mayer... not bad, but kinda' tame.

Yeah both of those guys have analog on the brain. The thing about that video is that Frusciante was out of his element as much as anything. Trucks and Mayer are more flashy players and kind of took up all of the space in the room. Frusicante is a hell of a player and pretty damn innovative if you ask me. He just doesn't fit in very well in a setting like that video shoot. Frusciante is going after a completely different style than the other two.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➡️
Although I wouldn't call him a "guitar god", on his Try! album he is quite a good bluesy SRV-type player.
Some people think he's a guitar god. I just don't get it. Yeah he can play pretty good as a blues player but it's not anything that hasn't already been done. And when you couple that with his song writing which is terrible for the most part, I just don't get it at all. I can't stand 80's Clapton, but his Cream and Derek & the Dominos stuff is leagues better than anything Mayer has ever done on the song writing side.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
YouTube - Shawn Lane - Time Is The Enemy

I barely knew Shawn Lane through two friends of mine that played with him from highschool and up thru the early days in Black Oak Arkansas.

I sat all night at my studio with Shawn talking music back in '89.
I have really met only one person that I can honestly say was a musical genius and it was Shawn.
His knowledge of music was so deep.
When I mentioned the music of Conlon Nancarrow he replied, "I have a cassette of his complete works right here! Do you want it?"

From 2:20 in that YouTube video Shawn's playing is so deep.
Once you get past the fact that Shawn played fast you realized that the harmonic concepts and phrasing were on a genius level.
Believe me... I looked for chinks in the armor.
Shawn was 100%
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this the old guy thread? OK I'm an old guy too. I would have to agree with Danny and most of the rest. Wake me up when somebody new, fresh, and really talented comes around. I'm still waiting for more Bill Nelsons, Frank Marinos, Ulrich Roths, EVHs, Trevor Rabins, etc,etc.............
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know, after thinking about it, most of the "new" guitar players I listen to are in metal... for jazz/rock/fusion stuff I mostly listened to guys that have been doing it since before I was born.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Matt Bellamy of Muse is a guitar god in my opinion. He's up there with the most creative original guitar players ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedresser83 ➡️
Matt Bellamy of Muse is a guitar god in my opinion. He's up there with the most creative original guitar players ever.
Oh yes! Seeing Knights of Cydonia live has to be the most EPIC thing I've ever witnessed!
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Goddess

Kaki King - Kaki King - Dreaming Of Revenge

Not of the shredder variety, but very very talented.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dang, I'm the first guy to mention Guthrie Govan?!

dude is stupid good and really clean. Saw him live at a Cornford Amps thing awhile back... ridiculous. And he has a good ear for melody.

YouTube - Contemporary Jamtracks promo
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
check out Devin Ocampo

ive been a huge fan since I was in high school
Devin Ocampo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

hes been in awesome dischord bands like faraquet,medications and smart went crazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's nothing new...

If we're gonna name a new guitar "God" that person needs to have an unique and original 'voice'... they don't necessarily have to re-invent the instrument in my opinion.

...but they need to be able to translate their souls through their fingers and that fretboard... There aren't a lot of those types out there.

It isn't about speed, or sloppy, or clean...
it's about voicing, phrasing, and choices.

Guys that exemplify this are guys like Mark Knopfler and Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers for me...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for Guthrie Govan. I haven't purchased an instrumental album in a long time, but I had to have this one. Great stuff!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfranc ➡️
+1 for Guthrie Govan. I haven't purchased an instrumental album in a long time, but I had to have this one. Great stuff!
Guthrie is a total master. Another pretty unique player in the 'shred' vein is Mattias IA Eklundh - amazing melodies played with tapped harmonics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh yeah, both his solo stuff and Freak Kitchen are incredible! A few years ago I bought a Whammy pedal so I can do the kind of things he does without one!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
much like a gentleman bagpipe player who choses not too, i like my guitar heroes able to shred, but instead go and play something unique, meaningful and melodic.

Quote:
He has an API and records to 16 track 2".
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➡️
Yes thats right, also I would call John Mayer a "PACKAGE" a very versatile like no other, cocky bastard but he can walk all his talk.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedresser83 ➡️
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup agree 100% big thumbs for Matt. Cant wait for the new album
📝 Reply