Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For the sweep agnostics, try George Bellas "Venomous Fingers", it's pretty much all sweeping for 45 minutes. And I love it! I really like the quicksilvery, liquid texture sweeping creates.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Nels Cline is great, he was amazing with Mike Watt on the Engine Room tour.

The last guitar player who's done anything for me is jazz player Peter Bernstein, he just oozes tone and good taste.

YouTube - Brad Mehldau Special Quartet - Featuring peter Bernstein

There's more to life than just ******y.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waytie4last ➡️
Nels Cline...Mike Watt
This combination is simply not fair.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
Okay, then I'll ask again. Do you think "No Room for Squares" is a guitar god worthy album? Simple question.
Abso-F'n-lutely NOT!!!

I have incredibly high standards for electing someone Guitar God. They must pass a series of 12 rigorous tests. You can't just throw a title like that around lightly. John didn't even pass test #1 which is: I must be able to visualize the Guitar God candidate playing one of their solo's on top of an active volcano, wind blowing in their face (cape optional), with dragons flying around in the background shooting flame balls. stike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, Me no god, but people like it...lol

"Guitar god WTF?"

That's gay....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestEyes ➡️
I am so stoked that Peter is back in the band. Apparently in a recent interview he said that there will be more guitar solos ala A Predators Portrait. zOMG!

Yeahhh...looking forward to this! Good News! thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael ➡️
Abso-F'n-lutely NOT!!!

I have incredibly high standards for electing someone Guitar God. They must pass a series of 12 rigorous tests. You can't just throw a title like that around lightly. John didn't even pass test #1 which is: I must be able to visualize the Guitar God candidate playing one of their solo's on top of an active volcano, wind blowing in their face (cape optional), with dragons flying around in the background shooting flame balls. stike
Then what gives with your avid defense of Mayer? I said that he wasn't a Guitar God, or gun slinger, or axe man or whatever the hell it is people like to call their guitar heros.

Also, I personally don't throw any of these "Guitar God" type titles around at all because I think it's lame and rather disenchanting to aspire to, from either the listener or player's frame of reference.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i'd give this kid a try.:

Dave Gross on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle ➡️
AMEN!!!! Nils Cline is probably one of the most interesting guitarists out there today. His work on the last two Wilco albums KILLS!! Tone and playing....

I'm amazed that NO ONE has mentioned KURT ROSENWINKEL!!!!
Yes sir, Kurt is amazing. We went to college together. He was great back then and has blossomed into one of the best we have.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➡️
Every time I see / hear this comment (about old guys) I ask the person making the comment to name the Jimi Hendrix or Zepplin or Beatles or Stones or Jeff Beck etc of your time that we will be talking about and listening to 40 years from now, as we do them. Will it be Kanye, Britney, Matchbox 20, Nickelback or even U2? (bad choices but you get my point)
How are we supposed to know that? Did you older guys honestly think back in the 70's that Zeppelin would still be this popular 40 years later? BTW, U2 formed in the 70's, they are not a new band!

Now, the greats of _my_ generation include Nirvana, Radiohead, Beck, Ween, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Phish, Pearl Jam, Wilco, Guns 'N' Roses, Alice In Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, Pantera, Red Hot Chili Peppers...lord, there's too many to mention! I am sure at least a few of them will still be listened to and loved when I am an old man.

can I also add that we will more than likely never have massively influential bands/musicians in rock music again? The rock scene is way too fragmented now (and the reason that airwaves are dominated by pop & rap is that those genres aren't as fragmented yet).

- Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
er . . uh, you turned my point around. . . . in er, other words . . . you misunderstood the point . . . but even though you did . . . . I admit your comment is pretty funny and is worthy of some contemplation! *smile* . . . my point was, 'some' people are making point blank declarations and judgment calls on things they never truly experienced.

actually, and it may be I misunderstand your point *smile* . . . these days music is actually less "fragmented" in a way (everything sounds the same within the given genre) . . . but sadly, more segregated. In days past, we would hear Cream right behind Aretha Franklin behind Steppenwolf or Elvis / Wilson Pickett / Hendrix followed by James Brown or Miles etc . . . I do believe that you are right . . . the most influential bands are behind us, for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➡️
How are we supposed to know that? Did you older guys honestly think back in the 70's that Zeppelin would still be this popular 40 years later? BTW, U2 formed in the 70's, they are not a new band!

can I also add that we will more than likely never have massively influential bands/musicians in rock music again? The rock scene is way too fragmented now (and the reason that airwaves are dominated by pop & rap is that those genres aren't as fragmented yet).

- Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➡️
actually, and it may be I misunderstand your point *smile* . . . these days music is actually less "fragmented" in a way (everything sounds the same within the given genre) . . . but sadly, more segregated. In days past, we would hear Cream right behind Aretha Franklin behind Steppenwolf or Elvis / Wilson Pickett / Hendrix followed by James Brown or Miles etc . . . I do believe that you are right . . . the most influential bands are behind us, for many reasons.
Well, there are too many diverse sub-genres (and even sub-sub-genres) of rock now and few of your average music fans listen to more than a couple of them - it's a niche market and there are no unifying bands anymore.

The lack of ethnic diversity in rock is a problem - but that's a phenomenon that started in the 70's, when blacks and Latinos in the US began rejecting rock as "white" music (and white music fans haven't done a very good job of supporting non-white rock bands since then, either).
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Manowar will be the Jane Austen of our time.

There are others as well.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Omar rodrigeuz lopez from the mars volta...hands down for current "guitar gods"..
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Paul Waggoner and Dustie Waring (from BTBAM), Nels Cline..DIMEBAG was definitely a god of the 90's.

but JOHN MAYER? like cmon! That's like saying T-pain is a hip-hop god..

There have been many great guitarists discussed here.. many I knew about and many I didn't. John Mayer ISN'T one of them. I'm sorry.

For those of you who are trashing super-speed sweeps and the solo'ing style of Muhammed Suicmez as predictable and nothing new.. you are either a jealous moron, a low brain weight who can't comprehend what you are hearing, or have an absolute hate for the style of music itself. I don't see how anybody could not be impressed if you gave it a solid listen. Listen to the solo in "Fermented Offal Discharge". I've never heard anything quite like it in my life. It's absolutely glorious to me.

Someone said sweeping sucks and it has no soul? Bull****. I play all styles of music and I can sweep all the **** that came outta your mouth off your floor in seconds WITH MORE SOUL THAN YOUR GRANDMOTHER AT CHURCH ON SUNDAY! I'm not amazed by it because I can't do it.. I can. I understand it as well. It took a lot of patience & practice and I'm proud of what I can do on a guitar, that being any style I prefer! I'm not just a shredder!

"The shred and 90mph and endless noodling stuff isn't about music so much as it is about ego and "look at me" syndrome"
dude.. you obviously don't understand the music. I play all styles and love technical death metal because of that.. IT'S TECHNICAL.. meaning HARD TO PLAY.. and not for everyone obviously! If you've seen the ENERGY that a wicked dm band (there's not very many!) has live you would eat your words!

I also must say.. being 22 that many old timers are taking this to the heart and need to understand that music is NOT what it used to be.. and perhaps everything has been relatively done already to an extent. Perhaps a modern guitar god doesn't exist these days... but for a lot of you to shoot down a style of music that is obviously not your cup of tea is plain nonsense. Grow up. Or better yet.. use all your WISDOM to build a machine that will make you MY AGE today and maybe you'll appreciate todays 'underground' music!
Lives for gear

James Blackshaw
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ry Cooder, last living guitar legend. Mambo Sinuendo is a great guitar album.

There are no more heros. Nobody learns the guitar anymore. They just learn licks or how someone else played the guitar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
God came from Ballyshannon, Co Donegal.

YouTube - Rory Gallagher - Do You Read Me (1979)

ns
Old 28th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check the new Mastodon stuff (Crack the skye)... excellent guitar work there!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreeek ➡️
Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Paul Waggoner and Dustie Waring (from BTBAM), Nels Cline..DIMEBAG was definitely a god of the 90's.

but JOHN MAYER? like cmon! That's like saying T-pain is a hip-hop god..

There have been many great guitarists discussed here.. many I knew about and many I didn't. John Mayer ISN'T one of them. I'm sorry.

For those of you who are trashing super-speed sweeps and the solo'ing style of Muhammed Suicmez as predictable and nothing new.. you are either a jealous moron, a low brain weight who can't comprehend what you are hearing, or have an absolute hate for the style of music itself. I don't see how anybody could not be impressed if you gave it a solid listen. Listen to the solo in "Fermented Offal Discharge". I've never heard anything quite like it in my life. It's absolutely glorious to me.

Someone said sweeping sucks and it has no soul? Bull****. I play all styles of music and I can sweep all the **** that came outta your mouth off your floor in seconds WITH MORE SOUL THAN YOUR GRANDMOTHER AT CHURCH ON SUNDAY! I'm not amazed by it because I can't do it.. I can. I understand it as well. It took a lot of patience & practice and I'm proud of what I can do on a guitar, that being any style I prefer! I'm not just a shredder!

"The shred and 90mph and endless noodling stuff isn't about music so much as it is about ego and "look at me" syndrome"
dude.. you obviously don't understand the music. I play all styles and love technical death metal because of that.. IT'S TECHNICAL.. meaning HARD TO PLAY.. and not for everyone obviously! If you've seen the ENERGY that a wicked dm band (there's not very many!) has live you would eat your words!

I also must say.. being 22 that many old timers are taking this to the heart and need to understand that music is NOT what it used to be.. and perhaps everything has been relatively done already to an extent. Perhaps a modern guitar god doesn't exist these days... but for a lot of you to shoot down a style of music that is obviously not your cup of tea is plain nonsense. Grow up. Or better yet.. use all your WISDOM to build a machine that will make you MY AGE today and maybe you'll appreciate todays 'underground' music!
You say you appreciate technique, learn to play Neon from Room For Squares. I like a lot of notes myself if they mean something, I think you'd find Neon a good exercise
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Personally, I think Mayer kicks ass. You can't judge the guy on "Body is a Wonderland".

Go watch his Where The Light Is DVD. The guy has serious chops and is one of the best acoustic players I've seen.

This, to me, the first time I saw it the solo section made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

YouTube - John Mayer Trio live Out Of My MInd

I'm sure Steve Jordan and Pino just play in a trio with him because the chicks dig him.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
You say you appreciate technique, learn to play Neon from Room For Squares. I like a lot of notes myself if they mean something, I think you'd find Neon a good exercise
I will definitely check it out. Just played a 3 set show tonight I'm exhausted, its 4am and I'm really enjoying this beer. Thanks for the exercise!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Too much consciousness in the musical process today,

so, dfegad

my vote goes to Frank Zappa for president!

Most guitarists sound too educated to me and the human raw genius that all creative persons contain (to one degree or another) gets abruptly rubbed out in the conscious relm. I went to Berkley for a while in the 80's and I can tell you as Chas Chandler once said to a Hippi crowd in sunny Cal, "IT'S HAPPINING ALL OVER MAN!!!"

VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How can you expect something new out of 12 musical notes?
Old 29th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
haha. dude, there will always be something relatively "new" although it will always still be "recycled" to some extent. I'm not talking about new as in flavor of the week. I was raised on 60's music.
Old 18th October 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Who Cares ... let's watch X factor

I jus wana watch X factor .... dont want that darn guitar ... quiet , that girls singin like beyonce , dont want no guitar . . . . .
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean TM ➡️
Omar rodrigeuz lopez from the mars volta...hands down for current "guitar gods"..
+1, though maybe not widely considered virtuosic...just has style for miles
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love Matt from muse for really having his own voice

Joe Bonamassa is good
Vai is creative and very definitive
I can't stand Satriani.
I like Phil Keaggy
Jonny Lang is very reserved, but when he plays something, he nails it right in the spot

check around 2:40
Jonny Lang - Get What you Give Live - YouTube
📝 Reply