2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames ➡️
My favorite guitar bands from the 90's/current are Luna and Built to Spill, so I guess Doug Martsch and Dean Wareham/Sean Eden are my "guitar gods." They aren't flashy but the guitar compliments the music so much, it's infectious

My friends play in a group with Sean and I got to meet him a few months ago a one of their shows. SUPER cool guy and just an amazing player....

Night People on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

AMAZING tone...just like back in the Luna days
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➡️
The truly talented guitarist can find the context for their fret ******y within a decent song..Rather than, shoe horning songs into their fret ******y...
This is the crux of the matter. Very well said.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
This is the crux of the matter. Very well said.
i waited 7 pages for somebody to simplify my take on the matter....and now it has been done.

all the shredders who can play a million notes with astounding technique but are UNABLE to do it TASTEFULLY in the context of a GOOD SONG.....they are obviously skilled....but i cannot listen to it for pleasure. i also suspect that 90% of humanity or more cannot really listen to their work with anything beyond admiration (and usually nothing more than annoyance or apathy)...and that is a fatal flaw.

nels kline is a guitar hero of mine incidentally.....he can burn up the strings a bit when he wants to....but as he demonstrates in wilco....it almost always feels right for the song and adds to it rather than distracts from it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit ➡️
i also suspect that 90% of humanity or more cannot really listen to their work with anything beyond admiration (and usually nothing more than annoyance or apathy)...and that is a fatal flaw.
This is true and nothing demonstrates this better than showing someone that doesn't play guitar or an instrument the spoof *shred* videos (as seen in many threads on geasrslutz) and they go huh? They don't get the joke, cause it's just a blur of alleged technical prowess that does't equate to anything musical in the first place so there is no distinction to them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A thread about Guitar Gods turned into a John Mayer argument. This is endlessly funny to me.

Nels Cline kills it, by the way. Awesome player. He most definitely steals the show on that last Wilco album.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➡️
SWEEPING SUCKS....These GODS that paly so fast have no soul or feeling..but tjmo!!!!

to me it sounds like you're jealous because you can't sweep another suggestion .... try using spell check

Bill
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
*smile* well . . . I'm no John Mayer fan. I admit he can play (not appealing to me) but it's his voice that I really hate (NEW argument!) *lol* . . . and the fact that he gets unbelievable women. Especially since he looks like a dork (most likely another argument) *smile*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon ➡️
A thread about Guitar Gods turned into a John Mayer argument. This is endlessly funny to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 ➡️
to me it sounds like you're jealous because you can't sweep another suggestion .... try using spell check

Bill
sweeping is STILL annoying tho.

frank gambale and rusty cooley (sp?) can both (in their own particular styles, respectively) sweep their MF BRAINS OUT....INCREDIBLE!!!!

but i am bored in 30 seconds. i suspect i am not the only one. i also think that sweeping, while obviously making speedy arps possible....does evil things to your phrasing, dynamics, touch, choice of melodic contour, etc. the technique starts to dictate the music....rather than the other way around.

john mayer is interesting in this way:

he gets a really nice tone on his strat....he has nice phrasing....and i can recognize that he is doing something musical there.

it is not my taste in music.....but i give him credit for getting to play his neo srv/clapton guitar noodle thing....and fit it into a singer/songwriter career that makes him millions of dollars. does not mean i personally like it...but he certainly has put together a successful career using all the means at his disposal...including being a good guitar player.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Nels Cline kills it, by the way. Awesome player. He most definitely steals the show on that last Wilco album.
he also tends to literally steal the show.....at their shows!

just kidding (sort of)...i like wilco as a whole band....and cline is a breath of fresh air for them. it is a really cool partnership. cool genuine retro vibe....now with some sizzling guitar work to liven things up. too many bands have chucked the whole idea of the standout lead guitar player because it is not cool anymore....and wilco went the opposite way....but managed to keep an appealing balance between solos and the rest of the group.....and not drift into jam band territory...the songs still rule all.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The funniest thing about this thread is that people with different tastes in music are constantly accusing each other of listening to bands or artists that are supposedly "unlistenable." The contradiction is built right in, how can you guys miss that over, and over, and over? You would think that at some point, as adults, we could come to the startling realization that other people can legitimately enjoy things that we don't, and that nothing that we can say or do is going to make an arbitrary, subjective judgment anything more than just that, an arbitrary, subjective judgment. I can't believe some of you people have the time or the inclination to argue like teenagers over what really is the only worthy thing to listen to, and actually go out of your way to attack others who listen to other things. You're crazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Couldn't agree more..
I've been reading the whole thread chuckling to myself...

Worth mentioning that this thread is an example of part of the reason that there are so few, true, "new" guitar gods I think...

As soon as they become "popular" or poop out a single song that you guys don't like.. it's almost like they've crossed over some imaginary ethical line in some of you guys brains??

There is no magical ethical line in my opinion. Again, it's more of a question about soul, heart, grace and the god gifted talent of translation. Honestly, I think it's mostly about 'intangibles'.

If John Mayer doesn't make the list it isn't about whether or not "Your body is a wonderland" is a good song in my opinion. (worth mentioning that he isn't a huge fan of that particular song either??)

It's simply about whether or not he's truly translating true soul into those strings... into those recordings. Apparently... some of you think he isn't...
I'll say... it's too early to tell. He's got a lot of recording career left.

It's like hearing people argue about great singers and some people are saying "nothing is new in singing these days". Duh...

Again, it isn't about that... When they sing can you see into the window of their soul... does listening to them sing raise the hair on your arms.. or make your whole body ache for their loss... or make you rejoice with them in their victory?
That's the question at hand...

Here in the US, in a culture that is largely disposable... it's little to no wonder to me that musicians aren't birthing out music that is timeless.

Another question would be...
are you guys??
Are you making music that bears your true soul, wide-open and naked for the world to see? it's at least a good goal to reach for....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The funny thing is that if Mayer is wrong in reording such a song, there`S isn`t one old guitar hero that we wouldn`t have to dismiss in the same run.

But offcourse the real new guitar hero in town is myself.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think there is a stigma that if you can play fast and sweep,tap ect.. that you are wearing leopard skin tights, with a armadillo stuffed down the front to impress the girls in the front row. The 80's really left a bad taste in some peoples mouth with these guitar techniques.

So much time has passed since then, that I think some of us are looking back, and saying "these guys were talented" and young guys are learning the techniques as well. I don't understand the fighting and the venom in this thread?

This thread was titled Guitar God ya know.

I like John mayer, as well as Buckethead. I love Paul simon, and my all time fav since I was a kid is Ace Frehley. How's that for variety?

Last edited by Farm sounds; 14th February 2009 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
Well, if you're unwilling to defend your own comments.......
OK. My comment was that your comment "Lacks in the songwriting dept.", has no legs to stand on. Hate his songs... I can see why... Hate his voice... understandable, Hate his weird music faces... yep... Hat his guitar playing... OK, I can see that... Can't write songs... not really.

--

On another note. Good heads-up on Nels Cline, just saw some stuff on YouTube that was pretty tastey. Anything in particular that's "G.G.09" worthy we should check out?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael ➡️
OK. My comment was that your comment "Lacks in the songwriting dept.", has no legs to stand on. Hate his songs... I can see why... Hate his voice... understandable, Hate his weird music faces... yep... Hat his guitar playing... OK, I can see that... Can't write songs... not really.

--

On another note. Good heads-up on Nels Cline, just saw some stuff on YouTube that was pretty tastey. Anything in particular that's "G.G.09" worthy we should check out?
Okay, then I'll ask again. Do you think "No Room for Squares" is a guitar god worthy album? Simple question.

I happen to think his song writing sucks so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I base my belief that he can't write a decent song, firstly, on the fact that his whole first album sounds like..... well, Your Body is Wonderland. That's already enough for me right there. But there's still more reason after that. On top of his early career stuff, even if he has made a move towards the blues, his new stuff is still lacking in any real amount of soul. It's yacht club blues, which is what I would expect from someone WHO WENT TO SCHOOL TO LEARN THE BLUES. **** in, **** out. His songwriting sucks for different reasons, beginning of career to present. But anyway.....

If there's one thing I haven't done in this thread, it's backtrack. Hence, the "Are you high?" comment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
The funniest thing about this thread is that people with different tastes in music are constantly accusing each other of listening to bands or artists that are supposedly "unlistenable." The contradiction is built right in, how can you guys miss that over, and over, and over? You would think that at some point, as adults, we could come to the startling realization that other people can legitimately enjoy things that we don't, and that nothing that we can say or do is going to make an arbitrary, subjective judgment anything more than just that, an arbitrary, subjective judgment. I can't believe some of you people have the time or the inclination to argue like teenagers over what really is the only worthy thing to listen to, and actually go out of your way to attack others who listen to other things. You're crazy.
mm actually good point, I've actually said something in that way.
in context this would mean that my record collection holds things from classical, jazz, rock, punk , reggae, pop, country & folk,other ethnic music from all over the globe, electronica in all it's form form easy listening to very very experimental.
from classic music composed hundreds of years ago till music composed now.
going from masters of the instrument (with the capability to play very fast as well) to guys pounding one chord and making music with it or people making constructions that produce sound or 'music'
And somehow I can take all of that in and enjoy it, but I can't enjoy more than 5 minutes of these shred guys.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➡️
mm actually good point, I've actually said something in that way.
in context this would mean that my record collection holds things from classical, jazz, rock, punk , reggae, pop, country & folk,other ethnic music from all over the globe, electronica in all it's form form easy listening to very very experimental.
from classic music composed hundreds of years ago till music composed now.
going from masters of the instrument (with the capability to play very fast as well) to guys pounding one chord and making music with it or people making constructions that produce sound or 'music'
And somehow I can take all of that in and enjoy it, but I can't enjoy more than 5 minutes of these shred guys.
That's because, even with all of the differences between those varying styles, they all share a common thread. And that is that they were all created as music simply to be music. The shred and 90mph and endless noodling stuff isn't about music so much as it is about ego and "look at me" syndrome.

Umphrey's Mcgee is another prime example of this. It's all "look at me" and no music to back it up.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
No, you two didn't catch my point at all. It's all subjective. Yes, that means you can't even say something stupid like "Well, everything but this one genre I don't like is music for music's sake, but this one genre I don't like, that's just noise." Please, give it a rest, you will never put the final argumentative nail in the coffin of a genre just because you don't happen to like it or find it inspiring.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No man taste can be acquired but some just got it heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know . . I feel that many people can respect someone's ability even if it's not their 'thing', as long as they keep an open mind. It's when their mind is closed or when prejudice comes into play the problem arises. For me I have passionate views but I certainly can respect talent . . or I try. I admit that there are times I obviously fail. For some of us that were there during the 'old days', we have that experience in our minds and hearts, because we experienced it. Many people that call some of us 'old guys who live in the past' are only coming from opinion of the past and those players, where some of us worked with them or saw them or experienced that moment in time. Now we are experiencing these times.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sure I can respect their ability but I don't respect their usage of it.
Others have said as well, what makes a guitar god is a lot more than be able to play speedy notes...
there's a whole lot more to it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Others have said as well, what makes a guitar god is a lot more than be able to play speedy notes...
Exactly
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
absolutely
btw . . I was responding to a different post. *smile*

Quote:
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
sweeping is STILL annoying tho.

frank gambale and rusty cooley (sp?) can both (in their own particular styles, respectively) sweep their MF BRAINS OUT....INCREDIBLE!!!!

but i am bored in 30 seconds. i suspect i am not the only one. i also think that sweeping, while obviously making speedy arps possible....does evil things to your phrasing, dynamics, touch, choice of melodic contour, etc. the technique starts to dictate the music....rather than the other way around.

john mayer is interesting in this way:

he gets a really nice tone on his strat....he has nice phrasing....and i can recognize that he is doing something musical there.

it is not my taste in music.....but i give him credit for getting to play his neo srv/clapton guitar noodle thing....and fit it into a singer/songwriter career that makes him millions of dollars. does not mean i personally like it...but he certainly has put together a successful career using all the means at his disposal...including being a good guitar player.
ok I do agree 100% about rusty cooly because that's all he does and it does get annoying. music is about feeling not how many notes per second now on to Frank gambale... you're TOTALLY wrong there . he was good enough to play in chick corea's band !!! you've got to be good to do that!!! if you still think Frank Gambale is all about sweeping then listen his album called "comming to your senses"

Bill
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 ➡️
ok I do agree 100% about rusty cooly because that's all he does and it does get annoying. music is about feeling not how many notes per second now on to Frank gambale... you're TOTALLY wrong there . he was good enough to play in chick corea's band !!! you've got to be good to do that!!! if you still think Frank Gambale is all about sweeping then listen his album called "comming to your senses"

Bill
you need to check your definitions man.....sweeping does NOT just apply to blinding arps....gambale plays his scales that way as well....and i really think his phrasing suffers as a result. it sounds pretty mechanical to me.

i have listened to gambale with corea...i know all about it....it does not mean i think his playing is particularly soulful or musical or melodic, etc.

personally i think his sweep picking philosophy of guitar technique has resulted in a certain stilted sound.

naturally this is just one man's opinion.....but i know at least a bit of what i am talking about and am not just talking out my ass. i think his technique had DRIVEN the way he plays....rather than the music inside him driving the choice of dynamics, phrasing, tone, technique, etc.

none of this is to say he is not skilled....he is obviously hugely skilled. but to me there are problems that prevent me from really being able to get into his music....and i know other musicians and non musicians who have a similar reaction. there are players with much more SEEMINGLY crude technique compared to him (and many many other flashy players) who manage to communicate MUCH MORE to the listener with many fewer notes.

sorry for the sidetrack.....gambale is hardly a youngster any more.

strangely the first guy to really popularize this whole shred approach was EVH....but because his solos were so short, his phrasing so unpredictable, his tone so engaging, his touch so novel and striking.....it was magic.....and few who have followed him with even greater speed and stamina have even a small fraction of his impact. he played astounding solos....but some of the best ones were well under 30 seconds and did not detract from the charisma of the tune.

granted he burned out after a bit....but if i just look at the first 5 albums or so.....that is maybe the height of musical shred....to me anyway. after that things just went over a certain line....and the results have not been that musically engaging beyond "holy crap! that guy is skilled! how is that possible? can you turn that off now?"

evh was already DONE with his solo before anyone had time to think "when is this going to be over?".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you need to check your definitions man.....sweeping does NOT just apply to blinding arps....gambale plays his scales that way as well....and i really think his phrasing suffers as a result. it sounds pretty mechanical to me.

i have listened to gambale with corea...i know all about it....it does not mean i think his playing is particularly soulful or musical or melodic, etc.

personally i think his sweep picking philosophy of guitar technique has resulted in a certain stilted sound.

naturally this is just one man's opinion.....but i know at least a bit of what i am talking about and am not just talking out my ass. i think his technique had DRIVEN the way he plays....rather than the music inside him driving the choice of dynamics, phrasing, tone, technique, etc.

none of this is to say he is not skilled....he is obviously hugely skilled. but to me there are problems that prevent me from really being able to get into his music....and i know other musicians and non musicians who have a similar reaction. there are players with much more SEEMINGLY crude technique compared to him (and many many other flashy players) who manage to communicate MUCH MORE to the listener with many fewer notes.

sorry for the sidetrack.....gambale is hardly a youngster any more.

strangely the first guy to really popularize this whole shred approach was EVH....but because his solos were so short, his phrasing so unpredictable, his tone so engaging, his touch so novel and striking.....it was magic.....and few who have followed him with even greater speed and stamina have even a small fraction of his impact. he played astounding solos....but some of the best ones were well under 30 seconds and did not detract from the charisma of the tune.

granted he burned out after a bit....but if i just look at the first 5 albums or so.....that is maybe the height of musical shred....to me anyway. after that things just went over a certain line....and the results have not been that musically engaging beyond "holy crap! that guy is skilled! how is that possible? can you turn that off now?"

evh was already DONE with his solo before anyone had time to think "when is this going to be over?".
+1!!! Wow, what an insightful analysis of EVH! I have always felt that way about what he did. Even in that genre, it is almost always about economy! Very few guitarists can get away with long, shredding, solos. Say it, keep it short and interesting, get out, is best!
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
First off, If you heard God play guitar you would never ask who else is good..haha. Lets not insult Him

There is a guy -- Bumblefoot ... being a pretty decent player myself, I was struck at his approach. Its way different.

http://www.bumblefoot.com/audio/Bumb...-_Abnormal.mp3
YouTube - Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal Tap/Sweep/Thimble Pyrotechnics

These dudes doing sweeps all day just make me wanna puke. Its just so boring. Van Halen was so great because it was not about scale runs and technical patterns. This guy is like that but way weirder.

I dont like the music but as a player this guy fits the bill of unique. God by His very definition is the pinnacle of all things, there is no such thing in the guitar world--no one player can satisfy all. I have my Petrucci's..who can staccato into oblivion without an error and my legato guys like Holsworth but there is something to be said for the guys who play the right notes. The guys who know how to write leads instead of just trying to impress us with something that is hard. I love those guys too.

I dont care how hard something is--I care what I hear coming out of the speakers.

Just to note I first heard bumble(Ron Thal) in 1991 on a tape guy gave me called
Ominous Guitarists From the Unknown by Various Artists - Instruments - Guitar : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music

This tape contained some of the most original guitar playing I have ever heard--if you can get it--get it. Its so different than the stupid sweeps and same old boring runs we hear today. The notes are carefully chosen and make almost every popular guitar player today look like a repetitious idiot.
PS..if I hear one more death metal wannabe chomping down on his low E(or Low C) in staggered pattern Im gonna kill myself
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well your name being absolute I can understand your into monotheism.

all them players you mention are also mainly about the technique and tapping & such which can be acquired by practicing in your bedroom by yourself for a couple of years.

If I put the LFO on my arpeggiator very fast on my Korg Mono/poly I swear it's the same sound.
Now indeed amazing that these guy can play and sound like that without the use of a synthesizer kudo's but I don't see the point in using it that often in music.

These guys are also in a territory where they have to be careful that if they play any faster they will just generate a tone.

Here something a bit more musical performed on an acoustic instrument!
a bit more difficult than on an electric effected guitar.
YouTube - Paganini_Caprice_no_24
And this actually not a top performance qua feeling and also not my cup of tea but I can appreciate this a lot more than those guys trying to sound like my Korg synthesizer heh
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here something a bit more musical performed on an acoustic instrument!
a bit more difficult than on an electric effected guitar.
yes.

YouTube - Manowar - Sting of the Bumblebee
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Uhu :D

The right tempo for a piece of music is also pretty important.
📝 Reply