Quantcast
2009 Guitar Gods? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Guitar Gods?
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh, and Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys is pretty awesome too.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Not a new player, but to my mind Pierre Bensusan is simply in another league. Particularly anything he's done since (and including) Intuite. His most recent stuff (not yet released) is more in the jazz direction. But this guy can play and write like few others.

Not a guitarist but a bassist (and not new), Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) is also phenomenal (not only as a bassist but also as a producer, composer, drum programmer, etc).

Of the newer breed of "modern fingerstyle" players, Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour are worth checking out (though they don't have Pierre's sophistication or musicality).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These speedgods mentioned here suck indeed bigtime, also I'd like to hear them without the effects on, it will most likely sound horrible.

the mayer thing is also not my cup of tea, run of the mill falling asleep kind of thing.
although a lot nicer then those speeddevils .

a few pages into this thread, i'm still sticking with my old gods on page 2 seen nothing that made me go wow allright.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➡️
No what's really boring? The same thread on just about every music-related message board - a bunch of 40+ guys complaining that they just don't make music like they used to and nothing is inspiring anymore. Give it a rest, dudes!

As we get older, our ideal of "good music" often gets locked in suspended animation - basically, whatever we were into up until our late 20's - after that, it become more difficult to get into new music. If you listen to music voraciously, of course you are going to start thinking that you have heard it all before and that nobody is doing anything new...true innovation isn't all that common in music. I am sure there were folks in the 60's and 70's who thought that Hendrix, Page and Clapton were just ripoffs of old bluesmen, hiding behind fancy new effect pedals and studio trickery.

Anyway, I am in my late 30's, been playing guitar most of my life now...sure, I prefer the classic rock guys, because that's what I was raised on, but I recognize that there are fantastic, unique-sounding guitarists in every generation.
Haha, yeah, this is perfect. I'm in my early 40's and I fully realize that although I can't get into a lot of the stuff the "younger folk" dig (like Nevermore and a lot of that kind of shreddy stuff), it's not that they suck, it's just that I can't really get it anymore. I realize that when I was younger I could dig a lot more stuff, as I get older my tastes narrow and I basically become my Dad, "In my day...grubmle, grumble!".

But, you have to recognize that this is the pattern of life. There's nothing wrong with me still loving Jeff Beck, and there's nothing wrong with a teenager digging Shreddy McShredderstien.

Hey, I absolutley loved Malmsteens Rising Force when it came out. Now, not so much.

Even so, I try to find new things to check out, I just got a John Mayer Live DVD and he's pretty freaking great. Ditto with Muse. It's a lot easier to find new music if you just relax a little and try to find stuff you dig.

I find that if I chill out with my "tude", I can actually enjoy a wider variety of music. Trust me, I used to make all kinds of fun of John Mayer. And there's no rules here, we are all free to like what we like. I love hearing good guitarists, and thanks for some of the links in this thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Every time I see / hear this comment (about old guys) I ask the person making the comment to name the Jimi Hendrix or Zepplin or Beatles or Stones or Jeff Beck etc of your time that we will be talking about and listening to 40 years from now, as we do them. Will it be Kanye, Britney, Matchbox 20, Nickelback or even U2? (bad choices but you get my point) Yes there have been some cool things that have come along, but there is a reason those guys and that music lives on. Early Eddie Van Halen, AC DC (still), some Billy Gibbons, some Cobain, some Ry Cooder etc etc . . Vai at the end of Crossroads is pretty amazing (though it is not my thing) . . There has also been 'some' cool stuff recently . . . but nothing you can put next to the first guys mentioned. Not saying that there aren't some good players, but nothing (that I have heard (I also play guitar) that I thought was on that level or even close. For me, when I heard the first Van Halen record was the last time I felt "this guy is on that level". Who since then (VH) has made THAT kind of mark? So it's not a matter of 'us old guys' as just 'some' basic truths. And yes there were others . . . before that. Charlie Christian, Django, Les Paul, Scotty Moore etc . . some great blues players as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➡️
No what's really boring? The same thread on just about every music-related message board - a bunch of 40+ guys complaining that they just don't make music like they used to and nothing is inspiring anymore. Give it a rest, dudes!

Anyway, I am in my late 30's, been playing guitar most of my life now...sure, I prefer the classic rock guys, because that's what I was raised on, but I recognize that there are fantastic, unique-sounding guitarists in every generation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gotta agree with Matt Bellamy. He is such an interesting player to me, the guitar work is amazing.. but doesn't command all the attention or have the "all eyes on me" thing which has really put me off guitar playing.

I love his guitars too, hes experimenting with developing the actual instrument to give him new ways to play it, like ribbon controllers and xy pads and knobs that screw with the sound, as well as using midi guitars and whatnot.

MANSON CUSTOM GUITARS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➡️
Who since then (VH) has made THAT kind of mark?
Dimebag Darrel comes to mind. what he did for metal can't be overstated. he made more of a mark with his rhythm than his lead, but it's just undeniable IMO. still though, the influence obviously isn't as widespread as someone like EVH and the likes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 ➡️
the phrasing that this muris guy has is incredible I added him to my youtube favorites

Bill

seriously... that 2009 entry is really impressive. Insane technique!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➡️
The fact that a lot of them DO sound like "Your Body is Wonderland" is enough reason for me. Cliched lyrics and "standard fare" melodies/arrangements. So, yes, his songwriting is terrible. Perhaps you're the clueless fool for not realizing this. And yes, things that make teenage girls swoon are generally not considered to be something that an adult should also find himself experiencing the same emotions about. Just a thought.....

And no I don't generally care for the "screaming and thrashing" either.
...haha...that is funny. Look, I think we all understand you don't like Mayer, or SRV, or EVH, Eric Johnson, Santana, or 80's Clapton...but it does not mean they suck or can't write good music. They just don't write music that appeals to YOU. And that is fine. The simple fact is that their music DOES appeal to lots of people, and MOST people can recognize talent even if they don't necessarily like it. Try being a bit more open minded is all I'm saying.

Quote:
If continuing to believe that I've never heard other Mayer stuff allows you to sleep at night, so be it. I know otherwise. Maybe, just maybe I have actually heard the stuff and simply just don't like it. But if you insist....

Waitin on the World to change....... sucks
Why Georgia.......... sucks
Gravity............ sucks

Should I go on?

I simply just don't like ****** soft rock or coffeeshop blues.
...ok, but every song you just listed, along with "Your Body Is A Wonderland" has been a hit single and has had radio play. Have you really listened to songs like "St. Patrick's Day." Very good song with lots of complex chords.

Nobody here wants you to like Mayer, I think we could care less. I just don't like hearing somebody bash on an artist who obviously has talent whether you like the style or not. His music is different, and requires thought to create, which in my opinion is the problem with most music today in that most of it is nothing more than power chords and screaming.

I am an artist and produce and write my own songs, etc. that could probably be categorized in and/or compared to the style of John Mayer (which I'm sure you'll bash on). I don't like to think that because people like you don't like it (which is fine) that I have no talent and am a terrible songwriter.

Peace
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Jimmy Herring is pretty wild and inventive.thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With tongue planted firmly in cheek...

The intro's too long, skip to about 1:00 in.
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➡️
Why is it that every time I investigate a "newer" guitar player that is called a god, a genius or the greatest I am always left saying, "That's been done to death and it's been done better by countless other players."

I won't name names, but I just checked out a certain current "god" and he was basically playing sloppy versions of the same licks that every one I knew was playing in clubs back in the '70s!
It was played like the lower tier guys played.
Nostalgia?

Is there anyone bringing anything new to the table anywhere?

Granted, I am 53 and I have played guitar almost all my life, but c'mon!
Maybe my circle of players down here in Texas was an anomaly and a law unto itself, but I don't think so.
You and me both, brother. Everything is so rehashed. The newest ideas in rock seem to be twenty years old, at least. (Unless you count intentionally obvious robo-tuning on vocals.)

What passes for innovation is often just stylistic mash-up.

People sometimes say, Oh, well, you just don't like new music.

I say: Hell, just point me to some!

But -- of course -- I've been listening to rock (in the broad sense of the word) for more than 50 years. No wonder I feel like I've heard it all...

PS... I caught a few vid clips from that guitar idol thing... I was pleasantly impressed (there is another kind heh ) by Muris Varajic. But I think the primary virtues of the track in the vid I saw were basically traditional virtues, varied mood, precise but emotive playing, nicely varied blend of techniques, not relying too heavily on any one set of tricks... a guy who can shred but understands that excess is best in small doses. heh
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Kirk Fletcher for straight ahead blues.

Michael Landau for everything else. Though hardly a new guy, he`s evolved more as a player the last few years than anyone else I can think of.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by $uper$tar ➡️
...haha...that is funny. Look, I think we all understand you don't like Mayer, or SRV, or EVH, Eric Johnson, Santana, or 80's Clapton...but it does not mean they suck or can't write good music. They just don't write music that appeals to YOU. And that is fine. The simple fact is that their music DOES appeal to lots of people, and MOST people can recognize talent even if they don't necessarily like it. Try being a bit more open minded is all I'm saying.

...ok, but every song you just listed, along with "Your Body Is A Wonderland" has been a hit single and has had radio play. Have you really listened to songs like "St. Patrick's Day." Very good song with lots of complex chords.

Nobody here wants you to like Mayer, I think we could care less. I just don't like hearing somebody bash on an artist who obviously has talent whether you like the style or not. His music is different, and requires thought to create, which in my opinion is the problem with most music today in that most of it is nothing more than power chords and screaming.

I am an artist and produce and write my own songs, etc. that could probably be categorized in and/or compared to the style of John Mayer (which I'm sure you'll bash on). I don't like to think that because people like you don't like it (which is fine) that I have no talent and am a terrible songwriter.

Peace
The only point I've been trying to make is that IMO if you're going to be calling someone a Guitar God in 2009, they better have the whole package. Can Mayer play? Yeah, I never said he couldn't. I'm saying that he is lacking in some of the other departments, namely songwriting. As I said before, there's no defending the panty dropper songs, regardless of what he may have written since then to move towards the blues. I mean can you picture Robert Johnson singing about breakfast in bed?

Your Body is Wonderland is just an easy target. That was his whole "sound" right out of the gate and IMO anybody who is okay with releasing stuff like that lacks the requisite songwriting skills to be considered a Guitar God or, worse yet, the taste to know the difference between something organic and real versus something contrived to get women moist and sell records.

I just honed in on Mayer because everyone seems to be kissing his ass lately as if he's the next Hendrix or something. The same could easily be said for any number of other speed demons/noodlers. Learn how to write a song before you step on the gas and play 90 mph just to stroke your ego.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The only point I've been trying to make is that IMO if you're going to be calling someone a Guitar God in 2009, they better have the whole package. Can Mayer play? Yeah, I never said he couldn't. I'm saying that he is lacking in some of the other departments, namely songwriting.

um... yeah.

I think this calls for the Billy Madison quote:

...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael ➡️

um... yeah.

I think this calls for the Billy Madison quote:

...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
So I guess you think "Room for Squares" is Guitar God worthy material then huh? Maybe worthy of a "Teen Choice" award or something but not Guitar God.
Lives for gear
My favorite guitar bands from the 90's/current are Luna and Built to Spill, so I guess Doug Martsch and Dean Wareham/Sean Eden are my "guitar gods." They aren't flashy but the guitar compliments the music so much, it's infectious
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So I guess you think "Room for Squares" is Guitar God worthy material then huh? Maybe worthy of a "Teen Choice" award or something but not Guitar God.
Whoa! Don't back-track now. YOU said, he lacks in the songwriting department, which is the ""King Of All Questionable Statements" in the this thread.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Whoa! Don't back-track now. YOU said, he lacks in the songwriting department, which is the ""King Of All Questionable Statements" in the this thread.
Uh... Back tracking? Are you high? What the hell are you talking about?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Uh... Back tracking? Are you high? What the hell are you talking about?
Well, to paraphrase...

You said: John Mayer lacks in the songwriting department.
I said: That statement is highly questionable
You said: What "Room for Squares" is guitar god!?
I said: NO, I'm talking about your insane songwriting comment
You said: Are you high? What are you talking about?
I say again: I'm talking about your insane songwriting comment
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, to paraphrase...

You said: John Mayer lacks in the songwriting department.
I said: That statement is highly questionable
You said: What "Room for Squares" is guitar god!?
I said: NO, I'm talking about your insane songwriting comment
You said: Are you high? What are you talking about?
I say again: I'm talking about your insane songwriting comment
Well something is amiss over on your end because you're not reading my posts correctly. Sarcasm can be a subtle device so you have to make sure and watch out for that. I know. It's tough....

I have said numerous times that his songwriting sucks. Room for Squares is a perfect example of his suckage. I was asking you to defend your comments by telling me whether or not you genuinely thought Room for Squares was a Guitar God worthy album. What don't you understand?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well something is amiss over on your end because you're not reading my posts correctly. I have said numerous times that his songwriting sucks. Room for Squares is a perfect example of his suckage. I was asking you to defend your comments by telling me whether or not you thought Room for Squares was a Guitar God worthy album. What don't you understand?
It's cool man. You're totally right.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's cool man. You're totally right.
Well, if you're unwilling to defend your own comments.......
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Have to say, I'm with Quint on this one... Mayer sounds like he's listened to a couple of John Martyn albums and just copied the vibe without actually having the talent to write anything meaningful, either lyrically or musically, that's fit to lace Martyn's boots..

And there lies the problem with most *guitar Gods* ..When the world tells you you are so stupidly talented as a guitar player the ego tends to confuse that with actually being able to write songs as well..

It's no different with most shredders... It has become an extreme sport, not chuffin music... There are a set of rules with all the scales laid down in stone and cursed are they who dare stray from the righteous path... The result is that, there's a whole generation of players tapping and pulling off, oh how appropriate, their way into oblivion whilst missing out on the simple fundamental fact that... They are meant to be interesting to listen to...

The truly talented guitarist can find the context for their fret ******y within a decent song..Rather than, shoe horning songs into their fret ******y...

Yes, I admit I'm an old git, but i do love a guitar solo that makes me wanna jump up and throw some shapes imaging i had thought of that... I have to say... this last 20 years I'd be hard pushed to name you more than a couple of songs where i have heard anything like that... Some brahma riffs yes... tons of the lil buggers.. but solos.?

Where are the *Comfortably numb* .... *Crying to the Sky* *Come together in the Morning* style solos, you know the ones that , even now, people play in guitar shops? The one's that have melody over fret ******y?
TYY
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Lots of clips of guitar playing, but I don't hear much music.

To me, that's the difference between a shredder (creates a series of notes) and a guitar god (creates music).

But I guess music is in the ear of the beholder. I am known to listen to some richard d james.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamesleft ➡️
Michael Angelo Batio...look up his videos where he is playing his double guitar....sick...one guitar is simply boring to him because it is too easy
that guy is the weird al yankovic of guitar - he's not being serious surely.

(he is and stop calling me blablabl)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's nothing wrong with Aphex Twin
and what he makes has more to do with music than mr wank me all on guitar.
Same here, I listen to some stuff which to many might be horrible.
I think Richard D James might be a big fan of Karl Heinz Stockhauzen heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➡️
These speedgods mentioned here suck indeed bigtime, also I'd like to hear them without the effects on, it will most likely sound horrible.

Lol, that Nel Cline dude uses like 50 effects live for his slow mo playing "godness". Check it at 0:40ish.

YouTube - Wilco -- Nels Cline has trouble during "Walken" -- Tulsa, OK

I think the brazilian kid rocks. Ah participating in another blues geezers vs. shred kids thread. I never learn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
:D roflol, that's what you get with those effects.

i'm a guitar or bass / cable / simple tube amp guy... so yeah.

it's not that I don't find some of those things impressive, like good for you brazilian kid.
but I just can't stand listing to it for more than a few bars.
and I'm in now way genre bound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k ➡️
Dimebag Darrel comes to mind. what he did for metal can't be overstated. he made more of a mark with his rhythm than his lead, but it's just undeniable IMO. still though, the influence obviously isn't as widespread as someone like EVH and the likes.
+1 thumbsup
📝 Reply